thyroid disease common in chows?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

DeadIrishD
Rank 0
Rank 0

thyroid disease common in chows?

Post by DeadIrishD »

Will just Nutro be okay for feeding a chow, or should I feed her raw meats on occasion too to help prevent thyroid disease?
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Not sure how you are going to prevent thyroid disease by giving raw meat, please clue me in on that one? Thyroid disease is very common in Chows and I have all of mine checked for it, so far all of mine have passed and are certified, they are only feed Purina Pro Plan, absolutely no raw meat being fed at my place, been there and done that with less than favorable results.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
DeadIrishD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DeadIrishD »

I'm not sure, it was still early when I had written this,

but if thyroid disease, is due to not enough pro-teen than you'd think that one giving more pro-teen would be better for them, right?
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Thyroid disease is a genetic disorder, it is passed on in the offspring, that is why it is important to test for it when breeding, even if the dog looks normal.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Thyroid hormones can be affected by nutritional deficiencies and imbalances, meds, environmental factors, illness in other parts of the body, other hormonal imbalances, stress chemistry, etc.
There's primary hypothyroidism, but also many secondary causes. There are some older posts on Euthyroid syndrome in the archives.