Help, my chow chows hair wont grow back!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

josephcui
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help, my chow chows hair wont grow back!

Post by josephcui »

Hi, im new here. Ive been trying to search about chow chow alopecia (hair not growing). Last yr, I ve taken a vacation and after a week, after i go home, I was shocked that my mother told the groomer to shave its hair. It has been a year and its hair wont grow back, I went to the vet just a while and there is no skin disease found with my chow chow. May i just ask if what is the solution to make its hair grow back? thx? I ve been feeding it with vitamins e and use medication shampoo, but nothing happennd, thx
pbaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Help, my chow chows hair wont grow back!

Post by pbaker »

Have they checked his thyroid? Also for diabetes?
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BusterBoo »

Be sure to check his heart as well. Heart disease will stop hair growth.
Swolf6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Swolf6 »

Has your dogs hair ever come back? I took my Chow along with my Pomeranian last July to get groomed and they shaved her way too short. My Pomeranians hair grew back as usual but the Chow's hair hasn't. Even where she was scissor cut. I've had her on Dinovite along with omega-3 and omega-6 oil and Blue Buffalo dog food. I've taken her to the vet to see if she somehow got mange from the clippers (she does not) as of Friday they're sending off test to check her thyroid but they don't think it's that because she's only a-year-old. Any suggestions?
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Thyroid could be it. Ursa was loosing hair, and it was her thyroid. It took several months for us to get the right dosage for her and then it was maybe a year for most of her hair to grow back. It is still thin on her tail. It has actually taken about three years for her to finally get her coat back to what it was like before she had health issues.