Patella luxation

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Patella luxation

Post by jazzmineong »

Hello all,

I have been reading about everyone's issues with Patella luxation. My baby girl lya has been diagnosed with the same. I can manually move it back into place, but she is very active and seems to pop it back out easily. She was diagnosed with this before she turned one and then it was her left hind leg. We treated her with rimadyl and she hasn't had a problem with that leg since. She is now 17 months old and is having the same issue with her right hind leg. When she was first diagnosed the vet said they could do her left leg and it would cost 650. She hasn't had a problem since then, until now with her right. Now that she has grown 10 more pounds, our vet cannot do the surgery (they only have the equipment for small dogs) and we may have to take her to another place and they charge 2700. I cannot believe that 10 pounds costs that much more. She is only 44 pounds. She is the smallest Chow that we have ever owned. I consider her a small dog. OMG!!!! We had saved the 650 just in case she started having problems again. We love her so very much, but we do not have that kind of money. We live in Northern IN. Does anyone know of anywhere that we could take her that would be good care, but cheaper? Her 1/2 brother Nanuq does not have any problems with his hind legs and he is the biggest Chow that we have ever owned topping at 60 pounds, but he is lean. Please, if anyone knows of somewhere to take her I would very much appreciate it!
Live well, Laugh often, Love much
Jazzminesong
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Patella luxation

Post by Rio »

I know nothing of diagnosis but have come across this article on the web, hope it can be managed without surgery.
http://www.2ndchance.info/patella.htm
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Have you looked into the vet school at the state university?
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

I will check into the vet schools and state university. That's a great idea! Thank you so much.
Jazzminesong
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

Just wanted to let everyone know about Lya. I called the vet back and told them how much the animal hospital was going to charge for her surgery. I asked them if I could please bring her in and have them look at her again. Needless to say I was crying, very upset, and they probably felt sorry for me. UGH!! When I got there the surgeon at the vet's office, who has never seen Lya, came out and immediately apoligized to me about how much that particular place was going to charge for the surgery. He seemed quite upset about it and even said that he doesn't understand why they have raised their prices so much. He looked over both of her hind legs and said that her left leg felt really good. So he started her on a regimen of rest and rimadyl as an anti-inflammatory. He is very optimistic that since it worked for her left leg that it will work for her right. So fingers crossed and prayers are in order for my baby girl. I am truly hopeful that this will work since it worked for her left leg. On a lighter note, now all the vet's at that particular office have met our Chows. The whole staff including the desk clerks just love our Chowdren. They all came out to pet them and love on them. My dogs really love going there too. We make it a point to take them in every month to have them weighed for their heartworm pills and the staff there is so good to them. My dogs have no fear of going to the vets office, they truly enjoy it!
Jazzminesong
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

Rio,

Thank you for the website. I read the whole thing and understand more about it now. That was awesome.
Jazzminesong
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

On a lighter note, now all the vet's at that particular office have met our Chows. The whole staff including the desk clerks just love our Chowdren. They all came out to pet them and love on them. My dogs really love going there too. We make it a point to take them in every month to have them weighed for their heartworm pills and the staff there is so good to them. My dogs have no fear of going to the vets office, they truly enjoy it!
I like what you are doing taking your dogs to the vet. I do the same, and my two really like going to the vet. It also helps to socialize the vet staff so that they are accustomed to chows. LOL, and it is is good for the chows.
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

Very funny Ursa's Daddy.
Jazzminesong