stomach problem????

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jram13
Rank 0
Rank 0

stomach problem????

Post by jram13 »

Hi! My 2 1/2 y/o chow just passed away a few days ago. He's stomach just bloated, he tries to vomit and even eats the grass. Anyway, I rushed him to the vet and a few hours later he died. There wasn't any exact findings except that he might be lactose intolerant since my mom fed my dog with fresh milk and graham crackers just a few hours before his stomach became bloated. Does this really happen? Would you happen to know of a similar case where the stomachs just sort of expand? My son is so devastated of our loss that he wants to have another chow chow but I'm afraid to lose another one at a very early age. What is the usual life span of a chow? Thanks and hope to hear from you ASAP.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: stomach problem????

Post by Sarahloo »

Why didn't the vet operate? It's not like there isn't anything you can do in this situation.
And no, it is most likely not your mother's fault!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Here is a link to a post in "best of health discussions" about bloat, yes it is a problem with all dogs, not just Chows.
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62

My first Chow passed away at 8 years old, he had health problems.
My second lived to 16.
I have a male that is 12 now that we got as a puppy.
I got a rescue when she was 8 and she passed last year at 11 from bladder cancer.
I have another rescue that is 8 that we took in shortly after we lost the one to cancer. Both from divorce cases that were dumped in shelters.

If you are in North America, Petfinder lists 2441 Chows that need homes right now. Most are mixed, but many are full breed.
Please consider a rescue for your next pet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Richy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richy »

Hello everyone.I am new member here.I have a little puppy.He is so cute.He has a stomach problem from last night.I don't know why.Tell me what should i do for him? Give me some tips about his food so that i can make his stomach healthy.Reply soon.