Itchy

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Itchy

Post by threedogjeep »

Hi, I haven't been here for a long time...for one reason or another. Now it's snowing so it's nesting time and here I am with Leela at my feet. And I have a question. Leela licks her pp area a lot. Sometimes it looks like she is trying to scratch it on the floor....not the scoot that dogs sometimes do. More of a forward and back motion with her head in the air. Then, sometimes when we are walking she will sit abruptly and go to that area to lick. Two vet visits and two rounds of antibiotics. He said he sees no irritation there, but it might just be a matter of keeping that area shaved. Anyone have ideas for us?????
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Itchy

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, but Molly will lick that area after she has gone pp. She doesn't rub it, though, and I haven't noticed that it is bothersome to her. Hope Leela is doing well!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
MyDarlings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MyDarlings »

Hi! Saw your post and had to let you know that my Dollie has been experiencing the exact same thing as your Leela!!! I took Dollie to my vet who told me she has "dysplasia" around the genital area. I bought these medicated pads (from the vet) to wipe the area that itches. But they didn't really help, because she still does the same scooting, biting, licking in that area. Now I have tried washing and drying the area then putting regular cortisone there to stop the itching. It helped for about three days, then I tried Bag Balm. This helped for awhile, and now I am trying Vitamin E oil. Dollie's problem is she licks the area so much, now she has developed a thick black skin (this is what the vet called dysplasia) and it has spread to her bellie. He also told me to try to use a cone around her neck. I am about to try this method, but I feel soo bad because I think it really does itch badly. The washing and drying with the coconut oil shampoo was really the the best. I am doing more research on the dysplasia, so if you find out anything new please let me know!!! I just want to make my Dollie comfortable!! I hope this may help your Leela also.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

I'm not on here much at all myself 3-dogjeep. Sheena has a tendency to sit down on the rug, grass, dirt and rock her tushie back and forth with her head raised towards the sky. She had many urinary tract infections in the past and I would go thru a series of antibiotics but infections would return. Finally figured out thru holistic vet that she had serious urinary struvite crystals which were cutting her everytime she went wee-wee which would hurt her and I needed to keep her urine acidic. Also the rocking on the dirt, etc. would create infections as well.

Solutions: Shaving the area of hair worked in the beginning but I don't need to do that anymore. I gave her Nature's Way Cranberry capsules 2x/day in the beginning, now only 1x/every 2 days w/meals (I think they are 500 mg). I found in springtime and summer I need to increase the dosage. Daily I take a cool and partially wet paper towel and rub her private area...she stands quickly when I say...want me to clean your tush-tush? I do this especially after she comes in from outside...she seems to like to rub all areas in the dirt. :roll: Sheena can't reach her area to lick but I can tell when she's frustrated-she does the tushie dance! :lol:

Haven't had any problems since, no infections, no need for antibiotics. Hope this helps.
Jennifer & Sheena
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Juniper
It sounds like Leela has the same issue!!!! Wow. Yes she rocks on her tush with her head pointed up. The same thing. I did start her on cranberry...what strength are the ones you give? I give her two a day right now. I was wondering about what kind of food you use? Could that make a difference? I have been looking at switching. She is currently on Eagle Pack. Looking at Taste of the Wild for grain free (which I really don't believe in) and Natural Balance limited ingredients and California Natural.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Hi 3dogjeep:

I'll need to look up the dosage on the cranberry v-tabs when I get home...could be 400 mg or 500 mg capsules. I tried the tabs but Sheena would cough them up.

Food...well I only give "By Nature" organicTurkey and Chicken canned food, sometimes Wellness canned goods. It appeared that Sheena had more of a problem on dried food with the tushy rocking but then at the beginning she had so many problems I really can't attribute it to the food she ate at that time. She also doesn't like to drink water at all and her stools would be way too dry so the wet food helps her more and I even need to add warm water to it so she digests it better. On dry food I used to give her California Natural I think it was salmon or white herring, and then switched to Innova Evo. Decided that maybe the latter was too high in protein so I went to can food. Expensive but Sheena's healthy.

I'll check on the dosage of the cranberry when I get home tonight and update this post.

Hope all goes well with Leela and she quits her excessive tushie rocking...

Checked: It's Nature's Way, Cranberry V-caps 400 mg...it also has 30mg of Vitamin C in it. Just 1 cap in morning and one in evening w/meals. This is a human's vitamin which I give to Sheena...usually grocery stores with health food sections carry it.
Jennifer & Sheena