Bald & Bloody Spot

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bald & Bloody Spot

Post by TJordan »

Found this spot on Butters Back where his tail connects. It was caked with dry blood and a huge bald spot. It wasn't there last week. Any ideas on what it could be or where the blood came from. There is not open sore, just a lot of dry blood.

SweetPea Rocks!!
Zhuyos mom

Re: Bald & Bloody Spot

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Could have been a sebaceous cyst that popped. Zhu (cream like Butters) had them when he aged. Feels like soft pimples with a hard blackhead on the top, looks ugly, often benign and non-cancerous, again similiar to a pimple. Check to see if he has others around his body that have not popped. They pop naturally, dry up and then heal.

It could also be a sign of Butter's possibly having a thyroid problem. Next time he has a vet appt have them check his levels because there is a condition called tail gland hyperplasia which is hormone related.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Thank you Zhuyos Mom. We noticed something last week that simply looked like dirt there. It seemed like he had rolled in the dirt and it was scattered sort of. It wasn't a single spot. I know that probably sounds weird, I am probably not explaining it well.

I will look him over and see if anything else has shown up. Part of the problem is that his hip is hurt and he is going to have to have surgery on it. So he has been really sensitive about where we touch him. So I am not sure if he is sore in spots or if it is just his hip. This spot doesn't seem to be hurting him, although he would rather me not mess with it.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Maybe he got wet / damp there & it didn't dry well? That's has happened to Millie in that area before. Really worried me at the time, but since i've been more careful, never seen it again.
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

OH I hope that is all there is to it. It is very possible since we have had so much snow lately. He rolls in it, then lays out while it is snowing and gets covered in it. I try and dry him off but that spot could have stayed moist.

It looks like it is healing today, scabbing over.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

His hippy's hurt? Is he very flexible? Could he get himself to lick or nip so far back? If so, might just be an old hot spot from maybe pain. I know you are strick on what he eats because of poop patrol, that is why I'm guessing it might be nipping to relieve pain. The spot might be a week or so old where the skin isn't so inflammed anymore and the residual guck (for a lack of a better term) has dried up. I was combing Miss PB's fur today and she had bit herself a nice round hot spot on Christmas day after eatting too many beef treats (Christmas presents from her uncle). I caught her in the act of nipping. It was right above her left hip bone about 2.5 inches from the base of her tail and spine. Here's how it looks now:
ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Wow that does look pretty similar. But I don't think he can get to this spot. It is square up on his back, right on the base of the tail. He is moving like a little old man, but anything is possible. I am keeping an eye out just in case :shock:

It looks almost identical especially in shape and size. He does tend to lick certain spots, so it could be his own doing.
SweetPea Rocks!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Finally took the Butters to the vet as his spot wasn't healing. It just kept re-scabbing over. Anyway, they sent us home with anitbiotics, antibiotic spray, and microbial Shampoo. So I still don't know exactly what it is or how it got started.

Butters was abnormally good yesterday, he didn't try to mame or kill anyone at the vets office. Sure he gave a few growls and snarls but his heart wasn't in it. The vet said "Butters, you sure you are feeling OK" He thought maybe we should check him out a little more thourghly since he was being so nice. O:)
SweetPea Rocks!!