When a Chow's tail suddenly stops curling over the back

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

7redchows
Rank 0
Rank 0

When a Chow's tail suddenly stops curling over the back

Post by 7redchows »

I'm worried about my 11 year old Chow, Newman...but wonder if you've ever seen this before. In the last few months, his tail no longer curls up on his back. Why would this happen? Have you ever seen it before. Is scares me that it could be neurological. I thought maybe you or other Chow breeders may know if this is a health concern. Thanks for your time.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: When a Chow's tail suddenly stops curling over the back

Post by CoraP. »

My chowmix, Bear didn't hold his tail up as he got older. I felt that he just didn't have the muscles to hole it up as he aged. I attributed it to old age.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Most chows as you probably know let their tail down when they are in pain or discomfort too. As Newman is a good age could he be in pain from arthritis or something connected to age? I would get it checked by the vet incase he is not managing as well as he did in his younger days.

Please let us know how he gets on.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Most chows put their tail down when they are scare, unhappy or in discomfort. Of an older or sick chow it can just be more comfortable to leave it down rather than exert the muscles to keep in on their backs. Maybe worth a check-up to see if any arthritis is suspected him the back or legs.
Thank you Elodie!
7redchows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 7redchows »

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. The vet I took him to was a little flippant with me...with barely a physical examination came to the conclusion that it's just old age. And while I recognize that the body changes with age, many doctors are quick to call it "old age" as soon as they hear a dog's age. Newman walks 3 times a day about 0.5 to 1 mile at a time. A few months ago I was told that he had minor arthritis given his age. I was afraid if was a neurological issue because he also has exhibited long periods of just standing and staring (he's never done this), and barking off in a room alone (never, ever been a barker). When i suggested this to the vet, he said he could do a bunch of brain imagery on him and charge me $10,0000 if that's what I liked.

Anyhow, I will be exploring with another vet as soon as I can figure out who to go to now. I lost my vet who had been seeing Newman since puppyhood, finally found a new vet and lost her too. I'm in Wheaton, IL. Any suggestions?
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

7redchows wrote:Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. The vet I took him to was a little flippant with me...with barely a physical examination came to the conclusion that it's just old age. And while I recognize that the body changes with age, many doctors are quick to call it "old age" as soon as they hear a dog's age. Newman walks 3 times a day about 0.5 to 1 mile at a time. A few months ago I was told that he had minor arthritis given his age. I was afraid if was a neurological issue because he also has exhibited long periods of just standing and staring (he's never done this), and barking off in a room alone (never, ever been a barker). When i suggested this to the vet, he said he could do a bunch of brain imagery on him and charge me $10,0000 if that's what I liked.

Anyhow, I will be exploring with another vet as soon as I can figure out who to go to now. I lost my vet who had been seeing Newman since puppyhood, finally found a new vet and lost her too. I'm in Wheaton, IL. Any suggestions?
I'm so sorry to hear your vet does not have good 'bed side manner'. I had a vet like that and dumped him like a hot potato.... Your elder chow's tail may be drooping due to old age and with the cognitive issues, that occurs as well. You may want to google cognitive dysfunction syndrome dogs. I'd be happy to correspond with you (by PM if you wish) on this condition. My Shadie had both issues (along with Degenerative Myelopathy; which is a neuro condition).

Take good care and a gentle hug for Newman.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558