Skin problem related to diet?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tompacker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Skin problem related to diet?

Post by Tompacker »

Hi, we have a 3 year old female chow called dolly, we regimes her a year ago and she has always had sensitive skin. Her coat always seems greasy and smelly no matter how many times we bath her. She has suffered various times with hair loss and saw skin. You can literally pull clumps of loose hair out. We have been to our vets multiple times and they always treat her with 2 weeks antibiotics and some antifungal wash. Although this solves the problem quickly, the tablets Soon where off and we are back at the beginning. The vet advised changing her current (Arkwright) dry food with royal canine hypoallergenic food for 8 weeks.
Has anybody got any experience in the above. Or recommend any other dog food other than royal canine?
Many thanks Tom
pat_dixon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Skin problem related to diet?

Post by pat_dixon »

Food affects their skin and coats a lot. So follow your vet's advice - since he/she took blood tests.
Still, If your dog is allergic to grains, I would try a grain free food like Taste of the wild.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Hi, I know it's been a while and I hope your dog is well by now. Quite a few years ago we had quite a few bad skin problems with one of our Chows. After a couple of thousand dollars worth of Vet visits and a couple of years battling it we finally got it sorted purely with diet. We tried almost every food on the market and Purina Pro Plan Salmon based was great. Then unfortunately here in Australia Purina changed the formula due to now being produced here and problems showed back up in just a few weeks after 3 years of no problems. We then found Nutro brand and they went away again with no signs of skin problems for his last seven years. We just never gave him anything including any treats that had any meat products in them and he was as happy as Larry. Just a couple of treats would irritate him again so be very careful. Good luck.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Kaylaa1988
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaylaa1988 »

Hi just reading your post just wondering about the brand your on about nutro? Or is it naturo? I'm in the UK. Thanks kayla