Clicker training, multiple dogs, impromptu training...

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Alika613
Rank 0
Rank 0

Clicker training, multiple dogs, impromptu training...

Post by Alika613 »

I know the title sounds a little vague, but I didn't know how to put all of this in one question.

My dogs tend to bark at people walking by or coming to the home. I really need this to stop because I'm having some work done in the garage and they will drive me up the wall with their barking (plus, it's a little embarrassing when joggers slow down to see where all the racket is coming from, :roll: ) I'm using clicker training for my two dogs since they don't really respond to physical corrections and I used clicker training for my rabbit, might as well use it for my dogs!

So my problem is, say someone is walking by and both dogs start to bark. What if Cameron pauses, looks at me, stops barking, etc, something I want to click and reward for, while Duncan keeps barking? I'd want to click Cameron, but I wouldn't want Duncan to hear it and think the click no longer means a reward, learn to ignore the click, or whatever. How should I handle this situation? Should I forgo the clicker during these impromptu training opportunities, or should I take the time to move one of the dogs into another part of the house (which might mean missing my chance!)?

What do you think? Thanks for any and all thoughts!
-Alika
My Chow Chow is smarter than your honor student.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Clicker training, multiple dogs, impromptu training...

Post by Layla »

Personally, i would think about 'marking' the behaviour with another sound / word to keep the click salient. When i'm training this behaviour i just the treat without a marker as soon as they pause. Then i stretch it out to reawrding when they look at me, then they have to turn to me, then come to me. If i want to mark it, i often use their own name in a very happy tone of voice. Not very scientific, but it works for me :lol: On a punishment side of the coin. They get a warning, then a time out if they don't stop when asked. I'm very happy to have my chows bark, but they must stop when asked. Just how we roll :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Alika613
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alika613 »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll forgo the clicker, or maybe two different clickers would make tow different sounds distinct enough that each one would be reserved for a specific dog? Thoughts?
My Chow Chow is smarter than your honor student.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

When a dog barks it is warning off or drawing attention. This is an unwanted behavior because it drives us crazy and it shows insecurity in your dog. He is not sure you aware of a possible danger is letting you know. So one bark or guff or snuff and then he should look at you for direction. Since you will be deciding if this is a situation he should respond to.

If he keeps on barking after looking at you, or refuses to look at you, then you have training to do, which is easy. You repeat a situation over and over until you get the desired behavior.

In my case, should the doorbell ring , jogger pass or some noise is out the norm. Maddoxx will bark once and look at me. I tell him " Come ". He comes to my side and sits. I say " Thank You " and keep going with my activity. He knows I am aware and will handle an issue. He doesn't any longer feel the need to bark. He knows someone is taking care of it. Should he be distressed by it still, I will put my hand down and give him a reassuring rub. I know you are upset but I am here.

The training gets repeated if he starts to forget the expected behavior. Our favorite is the doorbell. He rushes the door and wants to handle the greeting by himself. Which means he wants to bark until whoever it is leaves. So the training so like this: Someone stands outside and rings the doorbell. He barks and runs at the door. I go to the spot I want him to wait at and tell him to COME. He comes and sits. Then I move to the door and welcome the stranger.

The key is consistency. We as humans don't want to be rude to the person at the door, so we ignore the dog's behavior and open the door. Tell our dogs their behavior is correct. Instead do not go to the door until you get the behavior you want from your dog. Delivery men, friends and family will understand, they would rather see a calm dog on the other side than the monster they heard.