New Owner (sort-of) Needs Advice

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Owner (sort-of) Needs Advice

Post by chow4ever »

Hi, I just recently got a chow-chow yesterday. His name is Simba and he's 4 months old. The problem was, he couldn't stay with me and my bf b/c my bf's dad doesn't like dogs and since we live under his house, we have to follow that one rule. So, my mom agreed to take him b/c she lives by herself in an apartment. She automatically fell in love with as did I; however, our issue is walking him. I live about 20 minutes away from her and I go to school twice a week. She works 8 hrs every day (SERIOUSLY, NO DAYS OFF) and she doesn't drive so she takes the public transportation system. With that said, by the time she gets home, she's really tired and can't take him for a walk. I can go to her place and spend time with Simba and I can also take him for a walk while I'm there. My question is, is it ok if he walks once daily? And if so, how long should his walks be? As of right now, he's very calm and quiet but I know he'll be more aggressive if he doesn't get taken out for walks. Please advice. Thank you.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Owner (sort-of) Needs Advice

Post by Layla »

Your baby chowling needs to go out to potty at least every 4 hours during the day. My adult chows have access to potty 4 times a day, but they needed to go out far more as pups. I would also say that adult chows in apartments benefit from 2 short, or 1 longer walk a day (at least 45-50mins) to allow them to good exercise & stimulation. Please also think about getting you pup into a good puppy school to allow him / her to learn how to get along with other dogs & understand what you want from them.
Thank you Elodie!
chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Owner (sort-of) Needs Advice

Post by chow4ever »

thank you so much.