Introducing 2nd Chow into family

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowServant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Introducing 2nd Chow into family

Post by ChowServant »

We're thinking of adopting another adult male Chow that was picked up by our town's animal control, apparently had been dumped in a neighborhood and had been wandering loose for a couple weeks. He has been in the APS kennel for a week and hasn't shown any aggressive behavior towards people or other dogs. However, we already have two dogs - a small (30 lb) female mutt and a 65 lb male Chow. Our current Chow is fine around other dogs in the dog park but is very protective of our home. So, a couple questions: 1) are we crazy to think about bringing a 2nd male chow (who's just now being neutered) in with another adult male chow who's already king of the castle? 2) If we decide it's not too crazy to do, any tips for integrating the 2nd guy into the family in a way that minimizes the dominance battles?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Introducing 2nd Chow into family

Post by Sirchow »

This is a thread I started on the same subject which had quite a lot of answeres. I still haven't taken the plunge for many different reasons. Some of it might be relevant to your situation. "Two same s-x chows" http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14138
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Introducing 2nd Chow into family

Post by rougedriner »

I thought a lot about this same thing when I fist stated thinking about getting another chow. Every one I talked to thought two females was a bad idea so I ended up getting a male. They get along fine. The breeder I got him from said she had males that did well together and females that got along together. I believe it depends on the temperament of the two dogs. If the new dog can accept your present dog being the alpha male you wont have a problem