Leela started training classes

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Leela started training classes

Post by threedogjeep »

She went through a simple class when we first got her, with my hubby. But since he does nothing for her, and since her adoptive mom Caityln went to the bridge, she and I decided we are going to go for CGC. So we have begun. Class number three tonight and the only issue we have is that she wants to just lay down all the time and watch the action. Doesn't like the sit at all. I wonder if that causes her hip dysplasia pain? Otherwise she is doing swimmingly, as long as mom obeys the rules! The trainer switched me to a training collar, but has ordered a "toggle" collar for her. Says that the issue is that the chow head and main are so big, a good fit is hard to find, and one that they can't squeeze out of with their little flat heads. The training collar is working really well. She knows it means business. Hard to keep her just sitting, hard to keep her watching me. But she is doing really well. She is such a sweet, socialized baby I really want this to happen.

The other stumbling block is it is just hot as balls here right now, HUMID. So she just gets lazy like we all do. I think I will continue classes in the fall when she will feel much better working out. But it's also hard to practice her consistently with the rainstorms and the heat. So we do what we can.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kingalls

Re: Leela started training classes

Post by kingalls »

Good luck! Maybe Leela is just trying to absorb it all before she starts to show off :wink:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Leela started training classes

Post by Sirchow »

I am starting classes with Bramble soon and because I am hoping to show her she is not learning to sit but to stand. Could you use this with Leela to save her legs if sit is causing her pain?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.