Growing way too fast!

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Growing way too fast!

Post by Mailie's Mom »

My baby Louie is growing way too fast! I went to put him in the kitchen sink to give him a bath today and he barely fit! :_| He is only 14 weeks old! I had to have Daddy hold him for the picture because he was zooming so fast the pictures only had a tail in it or blank!

Last edited by Mailie's Mom on Sat May 30, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Growing way too fast!

Post by Dogdad »

WOW Mallie is getting so big, but the cuteness is still there, growing into beauty

David
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow...what a stunner! Beautiful boy!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Holy Chow! He is HUGE! Beautiful boy! He will be a BIG one for sure....
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Beautiful pup, looks like you might have to graduate to the bath tub for his next bath.. Unless thats all chow fur???but it doesn't look it. time for tub toys. lol
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Wow! He is growing quickly - but there again, they do and turn around, they are big grown up ;Chow Chows. Beautiful pictures. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
FNG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FNG »

You will hurt your back lifting Mallie into the sink.
Such a beautifiul big boy.
Are you giving Mallie a dollar for taking a bath ?
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

:) hehehe......that is my 9 year old daughter getting a dollar for cleaning out the sink so I can give Louie a bath!
Mailie is my 4 year old 60 lb. black female who has long since outgrown the sink! I have finally decided to try and take her to the groomer. I have interviewed a few in the area and decided to try this one girl I really liked. This will be the first time I have let anybody groom any of my chows for the last 23 years. I made an appointment for Thursday morning.
Here is my girl Mailie.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

wow that big at 14 weeks? my yogi is 14 weeks now and hes not that big at all! I wanted a big chow too lol

whats urs weigh?
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

The last time he was at the vet at 12 weeks old he was 24 pounds. I bet he is at least 30 lbs now! I can barely lift the moose! He goes back to the vet on the 12th so I will let you know.
Thanks sweetpea!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

wow yogi at 13 weeks was 16.5 so hes way smaller lol
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

Gorgeous puppy!!! He is going to be beautiful and handsome. Thanks for sharing photos.
Mishka and his family
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

That cream puppy looks like a giant plush toy. I wish I could pet him... his fur looks so soft!! :inlove: If he were mine, I'd pet him all day long!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

I pretty much do pet him all day! I am a stay at home Mom and while the kids are in school it's just me and the dogs! My husband and the kids were teasing me the other day and said since I got Louie I will not go anywhere they don't allow dogs anymore, including the grocery store. I guess I have been slacking on buying human snacks lately! :laughloud:
Thanks sweetpea!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Mailie's Mom wrote:I pretty much do pet him all day! I am a stay at home Mom and while the kids are in school it's just me and the dogs! My husband and the kids were teasing me the other day and said since I got Louie I will not go anywhere they don't allow dogs anymore, including the grocery store. I guess I have been slacking on buying human snacks lately! :laughloud:
:lol: That's funny. That's what my mom tells me. When we start running low on treats, I automatically tell her we need to make a trip to PetSmart with Tippsy and Jasper. Her comeback is always "you know if we take them, we can't go do anything else." I know it, I really don't care. :lol:

Louie is such an adorable little guy. I just wanna snuggle him. :D
Jess
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Too cute!! He is huge!! Don't let him grow too fast, tho. Bad for the joints. Are you feeding him large breed puppy formula? Regular puppy formula is too nutritious for the larger breeds. Tho chows aren't really a large breed, it is a breed prone to joint and bone problems, so it is safer to stick to the large breed puppy formula or even move on to the adult formula even before turining one. I was recommended this by a fellow dog walker lab breeder in the neighbourhood.
FNG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FNG »

I am getting dyslexic and losing my eyesight.
As I was typing my post I was thinking how come the puppy is named Louie and the message was from Mailie's Mom.
I ended up with 2 wrong names.
Here is my equivalent of the kitchen sink.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I just flicked back on my i-cal to see how big my LEO was. 31/01/06, 15wks 29lbs=13.2kg. Louie seems much larger. LEO(Leonora) is now 58lbs. Louie will be a big boy!
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

I have Louie on Nutri Source Puppy chicken and rice formula. That is what the breeder had him on so I continued to give it to him. I have Mailie on BilJac for the same reasons. They have never had any problems so I never looked into any other foods. I was thinking after Louie is off puppy food I should find a good food that they both can eat. Right now I have to drive 10-15 miles in opposite directions to get their food.

Sorry FNG for the confusion on the names, my daughter is annoyed that I don't use Mailie and Louie's Mom too. :lol:

Chowgal we love to go to all the pet stores too. Louie likes to shop. We took him into a pet boutique and they had baskets of toys by the front door and Louie grabbed a toy out of the basket and tried to run out the front door. I had to have daddy go in and pay for it. It was too cute! :o)
Thanks sweetpea!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Mailie's Mom wrote:Chowgal we love to go to all the pet stores too. Louie likes to shop. We took him into a pet boutique and they had baskets of toys by the front door and Louie grabbed a toy out of the basket and tried to run out the front door. I had to have daddy go in and pay for it. It was too cute! :o)
Awwww! That's cute! Tippsy tries that with pig ears. And so far Jazz hasn't tried it with anything.
They're such clowns sometimes. :lol: :o)
Jess
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Louie is one of the best creams I have ever seen perfect pigmentation, good size, is he registered, and are you going to show him, I think he could knock the socks of some other chows. Really a very special puppy
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Thanks Carolyn!
Louie is a very special puppy. He is AKC registered, but I will not be showing him. I have young kids at home and don't have the time to show.

Thanks sweetpea!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I checked the Nutrisouce site, and indeed they do have a large breed line and large breed puppy with following ingredients. Looked for Calcium and Phosphorus levels but couldn't find that. If you are interested there are lots of thread in teh archive re food. :

NutriSourceÒ Large Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice Formula provides super premium nutrition in a scientifically formulated easy-to-digest food designed for puppies of breeds that will mature at more than 50 pounds. This is formulated to provide proper nutrition for balanced muscular and skeletal growth in large and giant breeds avoiding joint problems later in life. NutriSourceÒ Large Breed Puppy contains specially adjusted levels of calcium and phosphorus matched with balanced protein, fat, carbohydrates and calories to supply large breed puppies the nutrition to grow and develop to fullest potential. Feed NutriSourceÒ Large Breed Puppy food to your Large/Giant Breed Puppy from weaning until your dog reaches it's mature weight and size, typically at about 18 months of age. At maturity, we suggest transition to NutriSourceÒ Adult or NutriSourceÒ Large Breed Adult food.
New and Improved - made with organic selenium and organic zinc - no wheat.
Protein - 26%
Fat - 14%
Calorie Content Metabolizable Energy (calculated): 3,500 kcal per kg., 360 kcal per cup

Ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, barley, corn gluten meal, oatmeal, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), natural flavors, fish meal (a source of fish oil), flax seeds, sunflower oil, dried egg product, brewers yeast, potassium chloride, kelp meal, salt, proteinated minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium proteinate), yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, trichoderma longibrachiatum, bacillus subtillis), DL Methionine, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, pantothenic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), glucosamine hydrochloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), taurine, chondroitin sulfate, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract.

FYIO, Solid Gold's large breed puppy formula is called WolfCub and their write up is as follows. It is a bison and fish formula. In the ingredients list, a bit more of the things one know..... LEO's on it's adult formula, Wolf King:

High energy diets, like most puppy foods, can promote rapid growth in large breed puppies, which can play a role in the development of orthopedic diseases. WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Formula contains lower amounts of protein, fat, calories, and calcium than Hundchen Flocken Puppy Food to help control the growth process. Research shows that a Calcium level of 1.5% or less is the most suitable for a large breed puppy.

Protein, Min 26%
Fat, Min 12%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calcium, Max 1.5%
Phosphorus, Max 1.2%
Calories per cup, 375

Ingredients Bison | Ocean Fish Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavoring | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Mailie's Mom wrote:The last time he was at the vet at 12 weeks old he was 24 pounds. I bet he is at least 30 lbs now! I can barely lift the moose! He goes back to the vet on the 12th so I will let you know.
WOW!!!! Chi-Ching is almost 4 years old and he weighs about 40 pounds! Louie is absolutely stunning! So is Mailie - You must be one VERY proud chow parent!
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Thanks Leo's Mum! [:D]
I think I am going to try the Solid Gold Food. I looked it up and I can get it closer to my house too. The Biljac I have Mailie on is only available at Petsmart which is about 10 miles north of me and the Nutrisource I have Louie on is only available at PetFood Max about 10 miles south of me. The Solid Gold is available at Pet Food Express about 1 mile from me. It would be nice to have them on a really good food that I can get close by.

PurpleKisses Thank You! I am a very proud chow mom. My Jesse (who passed away 5 years ago) only weighed 40 pounds too. We call Louie a Moose! :lol:
Thanks sweetpea!