The "Ha, ha, ha" thing

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

The "Ha, ha, ha" thing

Post by gebower »

I've had two Chows and they both have made the same sounds, when they are trying to get your attention, with their breath, not their voice, they make the "Ha, ha, ha!! with their breath. Max is going on 12 months and he does it a lot now. "Chevy" another male Chow I had, did the same. It must be another characteristic of the Chow. They have SO many interesting characteristics, that's what makes them such a great pet.
Gene
OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The "Ha, ha, ha" thing

Post by OZZY13849 »

I love when Ozzy does that! When he really wants some attention or wants something he will ha ha ha me. Just like hes talking! When he does it and I have company they laugh and say," I think Ozzy has something to say"! I owned two chows previously and never noticed this behavior in either one of the girls. :)
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

Bear does this also when he wants something and I don't pay attention to him right away. Especially when he wants his treats. It sure gets my attention! :D

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh, yes! Yes! That's how they speak. They also change up their huhhhuh's and ha'ha's with another sound to form another chow word. Here we call it "chownese"! It's the same sound when they sneeze/snort if they sense danger or someone is coming up to your front door, except their mouth is open and the "h" sound is audible versus the "s" sound with their mouth's closed. It's great. I find it so easy to figure out what they are trying to tell me by listening to the nuiances.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I remember back in 1996 when my chow and I made our first visit to the vet for the first vaccinations. I asked the vet about the hah hah, humph, sneezes and the panting. He said all chows do that. I thought the chow was sick. Now that I have a plain mutt here, he only barks, makes no chow noises.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I've had 6 chows,4 of them boys and I've noticed only my boys make that sound when they want something.
everyone thinks I'm crazy but I know they must want something when they do that.I think it so cute :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yoshi here, I haw haw all the time, My dad calls me lord haw haw. Maxwell doesn't haw, he is kind of wierd. My dad Haw haws at me sometimes but I can't figure out what he is saying, he has a thick hooman accent.
yoshi
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socialwork555 »

Gordo does it when he wants to play with me........it's his cue that signals me to get down on my knees for a snuggly wrestle. Paz hasn't done it yet.......he's still quite whiny and squeaky.
Christine and Paz