Piebald chow chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Piebald chow chow

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Has anyone else ever seen this? I got this from another forum that someone else showed me and was absolutely floored by it!!

I can't believe that they were considering breeding the pup :shock: :shock: :shock: Sad and a hard thing to say but I'm kinda glad that the pup died before they had a chance to breed it. If they had bred can you immagine the way some of our chows might look today??? I'm assuming that since coloring in dogs plays a big part in health related issues that this pup had many issues and that's probably why it passed on so early. Have any of you ever heard or seen this before?

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Piebald chow chow

Post by sengeoz »

Yes, multicoloured Chows happen from time to time. Herb Williams in Canada had a cream with black feet, black ears and black foreface & muzzle. He too did not live long. If I could work out how to load pictures, I would show you. I also have pictures of a black chow with red flashings (still alive) and a brindle smooth (red with black/grey stripes).

None of these dogs are eligible to be shown these days and with what we now know about genetics (though the theories are still many-fold re: Chow colour), it's unlikely that a responsible breeder would use them in a modern day breeding program.

I use Atomic's picture along with the other three I mention above in my lectures to trainee judges to show them incorrect coat colours!
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

cleopatra20043 wrote:I'm assuming that since coloring in dogs plays a big part in health related issues that this pup had many issues and that's probably why it passed on so early
Or possibly, they realized that a piebald-gene suitor at some point, was part of their bloodlines, and decided to cull the pup from the breeding program. There are various mutations of course, but this Chow's skull doesn't seem 'all Chow' to me either. The excerpt link below also contains a lot of photos, if you're interested. There's also an archived thread about a blue Chow named Taibo, with a color mutation. Here's his photo:

http://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/bl ... 708866.jpg

Excerpt:

"The first gene that causes at least some spotting patterns in dogs has now been identified and published in 2007. Furthermore potential mutations causing some forms of spotting have been identified in this gene.This gene is MITF, microphthalmia associated transcription factor. MITF is a critical gene in the pigmentation pathway."
http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogspots.html
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Something about the first dog doesn't seem 'all Chow' to me either. (even taking into account the differences in type from then to now) It does remind me, coloring and tail and even ear wise, of another breed that I can't place my finger on
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I have seen that picture.its in 'the book of the chow chow'.I couldn't believe it and I thought he must have died young because he wasn't healthy.
its very interesting.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

A friend of ours harvested a piebald deer a few years back. That was the first time I saw a piebald of any species.
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

That chow looks like a springer to me! I don't think he looks purebred either
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
djluffman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by djluffman »

My name is Dorothy Rademaker Luffman. The owner and breeder of this dog Atomic was my grandmother (Dorothea Rademaker) This dog did not die because of its breeding. I can assure you that it was not a mixed breed and was a pure bread as my Grandmother was one of the top breeders of her day and the most respected. This dog was accepted and registered AKC. My grandmother was very good friends with Samuel Draper the author of the book of the chow chow. He even writes about her in the book and alludes to their friendship. My grandmother lived in Teaneck New Jersey which is where her kennels were. Not only did she breed but she also boarded chows. Atomics mother was bread with a male from the Mount Air kennels from Seattle Washington. My grandmother was a champion breeder and her goal was to breed out the mean temperament in the chow breed. This dog died of distemper at 11 months old. She was my father’s dog and that picture you see is still sitting on my fathers dresser (he’s 90) as it is the original picture in the original frame. My grandmothers dogs back in the 60s and 70s sold for thousands of dollars per dog. They were recognizable and well thought of. Her dogs were so gentle we as children could snuggle with them and not fear they would attack. She had one dog that one many awards and was in women’s day magazine in 1967 May issue. That dog was known to us as Chin-chin, but her real name was Papa’s Sweet Stuff. Hope I cleared up a few questions about Atomac, she truly was full breed, everything was documented it broke my father’s heart when she died