Chow Chow Dog Fights!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KasperKisses
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow Chow Dog Fights!!

Post by KasperKisses »

I would like some insights and opinions on this. I've been told by super experienced Chow people that once 2 Chows decide they don't like each other, that's it, they will fight forever!! Has this been pretty much the experience of all here? I've just recently acquired Chows (in the past year)but have always had dogs, mostly Shephards and Briards. My dogs have always known I'm the boss and THEY DON'T FIGHT. But recently I've experienced that 2 of my Chows won't stop. They lived together for about 3 mos before the first altercation but every since then it's no go. They growl at each other through the windows even!! Both of them get along with all the other dogs, but the 2 of them appear to be arch enemies...
I've been told that I can forget about them ever getting along...once they fight, that's it. Is this the experience of others?

Thanks for all the opinions, advice and experiences!!
How many Chows does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one if you're Kasper. Hold on and the world revolves around him!!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Kasper,

When I had 3 chows at once, my experience was that they do their challenging, but it doesn't go on forever. If you were not in this scenario they would figure it out among themselves. That's not the best scenario, because one or both of them could get hurt.
With my chows, I stepped in as pack leader and made both guilty chows submit to me. It took a couple of times, but I did it.
Have a plastic spray bottle of water handy. If they even look at each other in a challenging way. Tell them, "no" while standing tall over them. If that doesn't redirect their attention, spray them in the face with the water and stand your ground.
Good luck
Last edited by bama on Thu May 03, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It's just a basic pack order thing and you have two strong willed dogs that want to be the leader. You have two options, let them fight until one wins, or keep them seperated. Be careful about letting them fight, Chows will sometimes fight to the death.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I've had my Chow and Chow mix fight, and they will go for a day or so with apprehensive looks about them. But they do seem to make up after a day or so. Same with my daughters Husky and my Chow. They have fought, but they still get excited when they get together. As long as no food or treats are involved, everything is cool.

I'm going to guess you have 2 females. You may have to keep them separated, or they may warm up to each other eventually. Try the secure child gate, so they can sniff, but not get at each other. It might just be a pack order thing, and once they figure that out they will be fine.
~ Sally
KasperKisses
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by KasperKisses »

Thanks all...it's actually 2 males, all six of them are males!! How the heck did that happen? Anyways, I am keeping them seperate right now simply because I have a couple of rescue dogs also and there are just too many to risk a MAJOR dog fight. It sounds though that, as I thought, I could eventually work with the 2 and show them who's boss. I've just been told that it wouldn't do any good and just to keep them seperate. That sometimes that's just the way it has to be!!
How many Chows does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one if you're Kasper. Hold on and the world revolves around him!!!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

WOW, that's a LOT of furkids! *bows* "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"....

One child.. One Chow.. That's enough for me. :)
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

we have 2 males as well, and BOY! did we have problems! until we got zeus fixed, now everything is usally calm, but we can tell if ther was a scuffel while we were away b/c there is fur in random places around the home, but never had any serious inguries, ( thank god!) but i would say let them work it out b/c sooner or later, they will act on their instinct to be " dominant" and problems can arise, i'm just saying better you are there if anything happens, but be confidant in showing them that you are in charge, and that it is unacceptable behavior.

"If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" - Dolly Parton
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

We are still working on this too, Maxwell and Yoshi, the chows get along most of the time, at times we have snarlys, teeth and biting. They are both fixed. I am sure in time things will calm down

David