General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

considering adopting chow need thoughts -

Post by Dogdad »

Hi everyone,

I need some advice, I was looking at our local humane society on line and saw a chow chow. I am considering adopting it but I am hesitant because I have read a lot of horror stories about chows. This is my situation. I have 3 dogs all rescues, 2 are blind and one is young. 2 males 1 female. I also have 2 sons age 8 and 12 great with dogs. I have a huge fenced in yard. Am used to grooming regularly, My vet knows me by voice when I call. This chow in particular is describe as being good with kids and other pets. I work 8 hours a day so the kids are at home alone. All of my dogs are indoor dogs.

I know I am pretty brief but any advice would be appreciated
thankd
David
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Welcome aboard, DogDad and thanks for all your rescue work. We are all a little prejudiced here, but my Chow, Benny, is a former pound stray and the gentlest creature on the planet. He even lets the neighbor's 6 pound cockapoo boss him around. The vet calls it passive dominance. Benny knows he could take the little guy in one snap, but thinks it's funny to play along with him.

Check the archives for a thread we had a month or so ago on "Chows with Children" for some great pictures, and the "ChowFest" thread for what its like to get 8 Chows who have never met in the backyard for a party. Those should pretty well wash out the ghost stories you read.

Most of those stories come from people who mistake Chows for dogs. I live with both a Chow and a Blackmouth Cur, so I can tell you there is no comparison, other than that they both have four legs and a tail. Chows ain't Labradors, and if you treat them as if they were, they think you are an idiot, and they don't abide fools gracefully at times. If you treat them with love and respect, there is no creature like them. They are very intelligent, but also independent and able to think for themselves -- a little like a cat in a bear suit, only smart. They will do anything you want, IF they agree with it. If you can't persuade them to your way of thinking, it won't happen. It's when people try to "force" their will on a Chow that they get into confrontations and say bad things about Chows in general.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thankf for the reply, So what you are saying is yes it would be ok?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Everything Jerry said. Every time I come across someone who tells some horror story about a chow, I dig a bit deeper and finally they admit that 1) they heard it from someone who heard it from someone... or 2) they or someone else did something horrible to the chow first, (serious mistreatment) and the chow finally reacted.

They [chows] have a very real sense of themselves and their worth. Add that to extreme intelligence, a long memory and you have an animal that as Jerry said does not suffer fools lightly. But if you treat them with respect, presistence and love, they will reward you with the most loyalty ever, bar none.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Dogdad wrote:Thankf for the reply, So what you are saying is yes it would be ok?
I think it would...even if I ain't Jerry.

I think another positive in this situation is that the humane society has placed the chow up for adoption and said it's good with other animals and kids. Most animal shelters and humane soccieties don't do that with chows, cause they don't understand them.
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

All the horror stories you have heard are not true but you being gone 8 hours a day and taking a Chow out of the shelter and sticking into a new environment with 2 kids and 3 other dogs with out knowing any kind of back ground of the Chow and you not being home may be a problem. I'm all for getting that Chow out of the shelter and saving it but you should spend some time at home with it the first couple of days to see what's what and how well he adjust.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks, I was refering to the dogs as kids. I was planning on adopting a chow during my spring break ( I am a teacher) and would have a week to watch and make sure things were going well.
dogdad
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Anybody who refers to their dogs as kids is probably on the right track for Chowdom. You will often see them referred to as "furkids" on this site. :D

Nothing in life is ever a sure thing, but it sounds like you should have no problems IMO. Keep us posted on your progress. We like lots of pictures here. :D
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

All the advice so far is outstanding and true!
Jerry does make a good point about spending time with your new adoptee, prior to leaving it along with children.
Actually, it doesn't matter what breed you adopt, it would be a good idea to have an orientation time. This would not only be for observing your adoptee, but socializing your new furkid to his new environment. Of course, the socializing doesn't end with the furkid, it includes education for you and your children on the chow breed. I can appreciate that your children are good with dogs, however I would make sure that equates to deep understanding of chows.
You see, I believe many horror stories originate from people who unfairly attempt to treat a chow like a dog.
Example:
When a chow doesn't respond to humans in the same manner as let's say a Labrador, (ie: fetching a ball, etc.) then the human attempts to force Lab behavior upon the chow which is uncharacteristic of a chow. Of course, the chow will wonder what the heck is going on here?
Chows are not bad...they are different....thank God. Understanding this difference is why all of us chow enthusists love and respect the chow breed so much.
Therefore, even though your children are good with dogs, I would make sure they are chow educated and are "good" with chows before leaving them all together.
I hope this helps.

Bama
rubesgirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rubesgirl »

Having adopted three Chows over several years, I would not hesitate. I adopted one at 1-1/2 years, who had been abused and just needed time and attention to come into his own. I had him for many years, without any bad incidents. I adopted another who was about 3, but ill and was only with us a short time because of his advanced heartworm problem. That was heartbreaking, because he was lovely and a well behaved Chow. We have just adopted a puppy and I'm thrilled with him. My daughter was brought up with them and, while each breed has rogues, I have not met a Chow Chow that didn't respond to kindness and love, tempered with firm direction and consistent expectations. Just make certain that your children know not to approach the Chow from behind. It's always better if he/she sees them coming up. Good luck!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

In Canada most shelters, rescues will only hand over a dog after meeting all other pets and the whole family, the human kind.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Actually that was Jeff's advice, but I concur. One of the difficult things may be assuring that the humans in the family give the Chow time to come around at his own pace, and are aware that that pace may be frustratingly slow. That was the reason I first came to this site a few months ago. I was sure Benny didn't like me, or was depressed or something. He was happy to see me for about 30 seconds if I had been away, but then went back to ignoring me from another room. The people here explained that a Chow may love you deeply, but is not always comfortable with showing it. They respect your space, and expect the same courtesy from their humans. They are Stoics, preferring to sleep on hard cold surfaces rather than beds or even carpets. They see no realistic importance in ball chaseing, or even playing with toys. They love deeply, but in their own ways. I recently spent a few weeks at a friend's house with Benny. He was the immediate favorite of everyone there, but they said when I went off without him, he paced the entire time, from the doors to the windows and back, looking for me. Once I was back, he plopped down on the floor and went back to sleep as usual. He would be so embarrassed if he knew that I knew he missed me. :lol:

Just have your kids give the new Chow time and space to adjust at his own pace and they will have a friend for life, even if he doesn't mention it very often.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

RubesGirl makes an excellent and important point -- Chows have lousey periferial vision compared to many dogs and animals. They should be approached from the front and below whenever possible. Also "let sleeping dogs lie" is good advice until, and even after, you know their personality. But I'm sure your family already knows that. It's not a Chow thing. The last time I was bitten by a dog, it was my beagle mix, who I got too close to while he was sleeping. :D
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

WOW, First of thanks to everyone for all the replies, it is nice to have a group of people who know what they are talking about sharing it with those who want to know. one concern is that the blind dog will often walk around and bump into a dog, I wonder with poor vision, how a chow would take this. My other dogs normally will just look to see who or what it is, I am not sure what a chow would do. Chows are so much larger than cockers and mine are about 1 ft tall.

thanks

David
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Chows do not very good peripheral vision - but - they are very perceptive.
I would suspect that once the chow got to know the other dogs he would sus out that the blind one is blind - I don't know - I just think that it is highly likely that after a short while he would have the entire household understood. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Judy, I think the chow will get used to the behaviors of the individuals (dog or human :D ) and be able to adapt. For example, Special Dark knows when I am about to accost him for some serious hugging and his response is sometimes to run and start play to avoid the cuddles! :D

We adopted Special Dark almsot exactly a year ago. He was a stary and what the others have said is true. It took Special a long time to get used to some things (hugs, touching his paws, etc), but he did and it's an incredible journey seeing a chow open up and love you. I can't imagine my life without Special Dark. We had heard all the horrible rumors too and it was such a relief to find this site. The wonderful people here have taught us so much.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As you have read your not adopting a dog your adopting a Chow as long as you have that understood, that's all you need, you should go get him right now.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Yeah, what Jeff said. :D
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks again, So do Chows tend to bond with famlies or with one person? . I just got word that the chow that I am interested in has 5 applications infront of me which is ok, It will find a home and I am not ready yet. I notice there are alot of chows that need a home so when I am ready, now thinking this summer vacation, there will be some available.
I will lurk and learn.
David
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I think that all animals have their favorite person. I think my hubby is Special's favorite, but he loves us both so much and it's so obvious. He most certainly has bonded with many people. What I find very cute is that if he doesn't get his way with my husband, he will then come running over to me and vice versa. He wags his tail for me too, but he wags more intensly at hubby. :D All that to say, yes chows bind with whole families, not just one person (based on my personal sample size of 1!). :D
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Benny did a couple of strange things on our recent trip. First, he was much more clinggy than he is at home. Second, he actually went up stairs to snuggle with my friend, something he has never done with me. It kinda hurt my feelings a little, but she is cuter and smells better and I like snuggling with her myself, so I guess I can't blame him, too much. :D
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL, Jerryo! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose feelings get hurt like that. I'll never forget over the summer Special had a little kid friend in the neighborhood and everytime, he's do go racing over to meet this little boy and then wag and even give kisses, hubby would always say what a snub that was and how it hurt a bit! :wink:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

the guy across the hall from me is like this canine magnet, every dog including the chows in the neighborhood adore him. I used to get a bit jealous too, but then he has a pair of Rotties and I'm one of the few people in the neighborhood that one of them will come to... :wink:
Thank you SweetPea!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

About getting a chow, I was once told, if you are not a catlover, you won't like chows. There is some truth behind it. Through the years I have met many people who had to admit that my chow was a good dog, but told me, yours is an exception. I wish I could get some of those ppl to go online and read the posts here and look at the photos. But to people like that, our chows would all be an exception.

I live alone, my first chow Luna bonded with me. Two years later I rented out a room in my house. Luna bonded with that person even though he was not a family member, just someone who came home late at night and wanted to sleep. On weekends the boarder visit his family.

My son who doesn't live here was the doggie sitter whenever I had to go to the hospital or out of town. Him and the chow got along great.

Ditto for my new chow Mikki. She now walks over to my son when he visits and after four months, for the first time this Sunday, set by his feet while he was at the computer. After a while she kept staring at him and wagged her tail, my son asked what that means, she asked him to take her for a walk or a drive to get icecream. He's now accepted as a pack member.

I would like to add, chows don't have peripheral vision, they also don't like to be touched, pet on the top of their head. Mine doesn't. With any dog, you let the dog come to you, not the other way around.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

About chow bonding...
yes, they are extremely loyal to their family. And many of them have their personal favorite human, but they are born understanding the concept of family, therefor all members are accepted. Should a family memeber no be accepted, then a through investigation should be done, so that human behavior can be modified. I would trust the instincts of the chow above any human family member perception of the problem.
It's well known that above all breeds, a chow will bond to a human and/or his family very devoutly. A chow will grieve more/longer when separated from their human. This why it usually takes a chow a bit longer (sometimes as much as 6 mo - 1 yr in order to mellow out from his grieving over a past human and learn to love again. This takes patience and understanding.