Transport or Rehome my chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

B&B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Transport or Rehome my chow?

Post by B&B »

Update: Thanks to their big hearts, Chow Chow Rescue Society has agreed to help finding Bingo a forever home. If you're interested in fostering/adopting Bingo, please fill out an application at their website (https://chowchowrs.com/application). Thanks!

Hi, I've been a long time lurker of this forum. I learned a lot about taking care of my chow, Bingo, so thanks to you all! I'm currently studying at a university in U.S and am going to graduate this May. I plan to go back to my country (China) in early June and I can't find a way to fly Bingo back to China with me. Bingo is too big to fit into a carrier in the cabin. I checked with every airline and they all refuse to fly chows and other short snot dogs in the cargo as they have a higher chance of suffocating from breathing difficulties. I'm at my wit's end and really need your help with the following two issues:

1/I don't have any hope for this but, just in case, do you know any other reliable way to ship a chow internationally? I'm willing to try everything within my capacity, provided that it won't put Bingo at any risk.

2/do you know about any reputable chow chow rescue organization? It would be the best if I can take Bingo back with me; but if it doesn't work out, I want to make sure he settles into a good home before I leave the U.S. I understand chow chows are a very unique breed, and I can only entrust him to someone who is familiar with chows. I think I might have a better chance to find him the right home with a breed specific rescue organization.

Bingo is not only my first dog, but also my first pet. Plus, as a foreigner in the U.S, I'm not very familiar with how the system works here. Any input from you or spreading of the news would be greatly appreciated! FYI, we live in the state of Indiana. Bingo is about 5.5 years old. I attached the profile and pictures of Bingo if you're interested. Thanks!
Attachments
Bingo.JPG
Bingo.JPG (69.21 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Bingo_Adult.JPG
Bingo_Adult.JPG (63.5 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Bingo_Puppy.JPG
Bingo_Puppy.JPG (66.45 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Last edited by B&B on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B&B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Don't want to fail my chow

Post by B&B »

I was unable to upload his profile in the attachment, so I'll just post it here. It's quite long, the TLDR would be (1) He is 39 lb, neutered, microchipped, up to date on all shots, and doesn't have any underlying health condition. (2) He is more of a dog lover than a people lover, so it might be easier for him to transition into a home with another dog. (3) he is not comfortable around small kids.

Here is the full profile:
The following tips are by no means rules to follow, but merely lessons that I’ve learned during the past few years while living with Bingo. Many behaviors of dogs are context-related, so these tips might not work when Bingo settles into your home. I hope you’ll see Bingo the real dog instead of simply a story or a label of him; and I trust that you’ll honor him by letting him tell you who he is NOW, accepting that and acting accordingly. Please take the following information with a grain of salt and have fun exploring and falling in love with this wise and interesting soul.

DOB: Oct 2015 (This is only a rough estimate. He was rehomed to me when he was about 4 months old. I didn’t quite figure out why they decided to rehome him and I was too inexperienced to inquire them about it. I did find out he had Cryptorchidism after brought him home and I wasn’t sure whether this was the reason. The issue was fixed with a Cryptorchid neuter surgery)

Weight: around 39lb.

Health: He is neutered, microchipped and up to date on all shots. We use K9 Advantix II for flea/tick prevention, Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention, both of which are applied at the end of each month. He gets annual health check and doesn’t have any known underlying health condition.

Diet: Rotating between Orijen Original and Acana Appalachian Ranch dry dog food. One cup each in the morning and evening. He has been on this diet since December 2016. He is a picky eater and also has a sensitive stomach; if you consider changing his food, you might want to go really slowly. I rarely give him store bought treats; instead, I give him pieces of home-roasted chicken/turkey/beef/fish/beef liver (without any condiment/spice) for training and treating purpose. He is not an eager eater in summer, so I mix his kibbles with a few pieces of roasted meat/canned cod liver to increase his appetite. The only vegetable he eats is roasted broccoli. He doesn’t tolerate dairy well.

Grooming: He blows his coat twice a year. I brush him daily for a few minutes throughout the year, usually right after we get back home from our evening walks. I proceed from his hindquarter to the front, as he always present his butt to me as soon as he sees the brush. He would appreciate a treat or two after each brushing session. I bath him roughly once every season. He hates the blow dryer, so I just try to dry him as much as possible with towels.

Walks: he is very active for a chow. We go for two walks everyday: usually 30-40 minutes in the morning, and 1 hour in the evening on weekdays. We double the time during weekends. He thrives on routine and daily walk(s) is an essential part of his routine. It’s not only the highlight of his day, but also keeps him healthy: he poops once on both walks, but if I skip his walks and instead put him in the backyard, he would hold his poop until he couldn’t, which usually lasts for 2-3 days. I’m not sure whether living with another dog would help with this issue, as there would be some competitive marking and hence a stronger incentive to go potty. We go for trail hiking in the parks/woods regularly: the richer the environment, the more stimulated and happier he is. For summer walks: we go out when it’s cooler, usually around 6 in the morning and 7:30 pm in the evening. I bring his water bottle to keep him hydrated. If he feels hot/tired, he would pause and cool himself on the grass. When he feels refreshed, he would get up himself and resume the walk. I trust his judgement and let him take charge of the rhythm of our summer walks.

He is housebroken, and hasn’t had an accident so far. Except for the two walks, I let him go in the backyard each night before we sleep (he loves the backyard; one way to get him inside the house asap is to hide some treats in different rooms and ask him to come inside and “hunt” them. In my opinion, he loves the hunting part as much as, if not more than, the treats themselves, so simply luring him with the treats or directly giving him the treats once he comes inside doesn’t work).

Vocalization: he is very quiet. He ONLY barks when there are strangers around the house. He sometimes whines when he hears other animals outside. He whines if someone is passing by walking their dogs.

Dogs: he gets along well with other dogs. We go to the dog park quite often: he prefers chasing to wrestling with other dogs. He loves dogs that are playful as well as gentle, and keeps distance with dogs that play too rough. He behaves more relaxed with dogs while off-leash: he sometimes pulls on the leash when seeing and trying to greet others dogs, which I believe is out of frustration from the constraint of the leash. He is more of a dog lover than a people lover (he only let strangers who happen to have dogs with them at the moment to pet him), and I think it might be easier for him to settle into a new home that has another dog (the premise, of course, is that they click with each other).

Cats and other small animals: he lived with a cat for a year, and they adored each other. But it took about two weeks for them to be comfortable in each other’s presence. He had strong prey drive as a puppy, but I trained him to automatically look at me when seeing a squirrel during our walks. I think the prey drive cannot be trained out of him but could be managed with ongoing training. The training is simple: I put him on a leash and reward him every time he behaves calmly around other animals (eg. Looking away from them, looking at me, respecting their boundaries etc.).

People: he respects personal space and is rarely a lap dog. He comes to me for petting and playing sessions several times a day, and he is always right next to the door to greet me every time I get back home from outside. He follows me everywhere inside the house, but he is rarely right next to—or even on— me; instead, most of the time he chooses to stay a few feet away from me where he can see me. He likes sniffing strangers but doesn’t like to be petted by them: the only exception is strangers who happen to have dogs with them. He is head-shy, and prefers to get the base of his tail scratched rather than get his head patted. He prefers calm and relaxed communications to over-enthusiastic ones; therefore big gestures, such as high-pitched baby voice or rambunctious body movements, are best reserved for his play time. He hasn’t been around kids a lot and doesn’t feel comfortable around kids who are running/screaming etc.

Training: he understands basic commands, but I won’t trust him off-leash in unfenced area. Our outdoor training mainly focuses on getting his attention: I reward him when he checks in on me (ie. looking/glancing at me) during our walks, especially when there are distractions, such as other dogs, squirrels, or loud noises etc. Like many chow chows, he is quite independent and stubborn; so it’s better to get/divert his attention before he sets his mind on something that you don’t want him to get into. I cannot speak for other chow chows, but for Bingo, I think the training should be an ongoing lifelong process.

Noises: he is quite sound sensitive, and is wary of all sudden and/or loud noises. He doesn’t seem to be quite bothered by fireworks/thunders when we are walking outside; but he gets very agitated by them when he is inside the house. So to calm him down I usually put him on a leash and walk him inside the house while giving him some treats (mere treats without the walk doesn’t seem to work: sometimes he would be too anxious to take the treats).

Play: he knows all of his toys by name and likes playing fetch with them. His favorite toys are squeaky plush Llamas. He loves using his nose to “hunt”, so we play these two games regularly: (1) I put him in a room—rub something, usually one of his toys, in my hands and hide it somewhere inside the house—let him sniff my hand and go find the toy. He is a champion in this game and expects many praises and treats after each hunting; (2) I make one of his toys squeak and throw it away—while he tries to fetch it, I hide myself somewhere in the house—Bingo would look for me immediately after retrieving his toy—once he finds me, I’d chase him, and he would run away with his toy. The second game is a nice way to burn some extra energy off both of us.

Thank you so much for reading through this profile. I really appreciate your patience and your interest in Bingo!
michael.ralph1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Transport or Rehome my chow?

Post by michael.ralph1980 »

Please look into the chow chow rescue society if you need to find Bingo a good home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michael.ralph1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

B&B wrote:I was unable to upload his profile in the attachment, so I'll just post it here. It's quite long, the TLDR would be (1) He is 39 lb, neutered, microchipped, up to date on all shots, and doesn't have any underlying health condition. (2) He is more of a dog lover than a people lover, so it might be easier for him to transition into a home with another dog. (3) he is not comfortable around small kids.

Here is the full profile:
The following tips are by no means rules to follow, but merely lessons that I’ve learned during the past few years while living with Bingo. Many behaviors of dogs are context-related, so these tips might not work when Bingo settles into your home. I hope you’ll see Bingo the real dog instead of simply a story or a label of him; and I trust that you’ll honor him by letting him tell you who he is NOW, accepting that and acting accordingly. Please take the following information with a grain of salt and have fun exploring and falling in love with this wise and interesting soul.

DOB: Oct 2015 (This is only a rough estimate. He was rehomed to me when he was about 4 months old. I didn’t quite figure out why they decided to rehome him and I was too inexperienced to inquire them about it. I did find out he had Cryptorchidism after brought him home and I wasn’t sure whether this was the reason. The issue was fixed with a Cryptorchid neuter surgery)

Weight: around 39lb.

Health: He is neutered, microchipped and up to date on all shots. We use K9 Advantix II for flea/tick prevention, Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention, both of which are applied at the end of each month. He gets annual health check and doesn’t have any known underlying health condition.

Diet: Rotating between Orijen Original and Acana Appalachian Ranch dry dog food. One cup each in the morning and evening. He has been on this diet since December 2016. He is a picky eater and also has a sensitive stomach; if you consider changing his food, you might want to go really slowly. I rarely give him store bought treats; instead, I give him pieces of home-roasted chicken/turkey/beef/fish/beef liver (without any condiment/spice) for training and treating purpose. He is not an eager eater in summer, so I mix his kibbles with a few pieces of roasted meat/canned cod liver to increase his appetite. The only vegetable he eats is roasted broccoli. He doesn’t tolerate dairy well.

Grooming: He blows his coat twice a year. I brush him daily for a few minutes throughout the year, usually right after we get back home from our evening walks. I proceed from his hindquarter to the front, as he always present his butt to me as soon as he sees the brush. He would appreciate a treat or two after each brushing session. I bath him roughly once every season. He hates the blow dryer, so I just try to dry him as much as possible with towels.

Walks: he is very active for a chow. We go for two walks everyday: usually 30-40 minutes in the morning, and 1 hour in the evening on weekdays. We double the time during weekends. He thrives on routine and daily walk(s) is an essential part of his routine. It’s not only the highlight of his day, but also keeps him healthy: he poops once on both walks, but if I skip his walks and instead put him in the backyard, he would hold his poop until he couldn’t, which usually lasts for 2-3 days. I’m not sure whether living with another dog would help with this issue, as there would be some competitive marking and hence a stronger incentive to go potty. We go for trail hiking in the parks/woods regularly: the richer the environment, the more stimulated and happier he is. For summer walks: we go out when it’s cooler, usually around 6 in the morning and 7:30 pm in the evening. I bring his water bottle to keep him hydrated. If he feels hot/tired, he would pause and cool himself on the grass. When he feels refreshed, he would get up himself and resume the walk. I trust his judgement and let him take charge of the rhythm of our summer walks.

He is housebroken, and hasn’t had an accident so far. Except for the two walks, I let him go in the backyard each night before we sleep (he loves the backyard; one way to get him inside the house asap is to hide some treats in different rooms and ask him to come inside and “hunt” them. In my opinion, he loves the hunting part as much as, if not more than, the treats themselves, so simply luring him with the treats or directly giving him the treats once he comes inside doesn’t work).

Vocalization: he is very quiet. He ONLY barks when there are strangers around the house. He sometimes whines when he hears other animals outside. He whines if someone is passing by walking their dogs.

Dogs: he gets along well with other dogs. We go to the dog park quite often: he prefers chasing to wrestling with other dogs. He loves dogs that are playful as well as gentle, and keeps distance with dogs that play too rough. He behaves more relaxed with dogs while off-leash: he sometimes pulls on the leash when seeing and trying to greet others dogs, which I believe is out of frustration from the constraint of the leash. He is more of a dog lover than a people lover (he only let strangers who happen to have dogs with them at the moment to pet him), and I think it might be easier for him to settle into a new home that has another dog (the premise, of course, is that they click with each other).

Cats and other small animals: he lived with a cat for a year, and they adored each other. But it took about two weeks for them to be comfortable in each other’s presence. He had strong prey drive as a puppy, but I trained him to automatically look at me when seeing a squirrel during our walks. I think the prey drive cannot be trained out of him but could be managed with ongoing training. The training is simple: I put him on a leash and reward him every time he behaves calmly around other animals (eg. Looking away from them, looking at me, respecting their boundaries etc.).

People: he respects personal space and is rarely a lap dog. He comes to me for petting and playing sessions several times a day, and he is always right next to the door to greet me every time I get back home from outside. He follows me everywhere inside the house, but he is rarely right next to—or even on— me; instead, most of the time he chooses to stay a few feet away from me where he can see me. He likes sniffing strangers but doesn’t like to be petted by them: the only exception is strangers who happen to have dogs with them. He is head-shy, and prefers to get the base of his tail scratched rather than get his head patted. He prefers calm and relaxed communications to over-enthusiastic ones; therefore big gestures, such as high-pitched baby voice or rambunctious body movements, are best reserved for his play time. He hasn’t been around kids a lot and doesn’t feel comfortable around kids who are running/screaming etc.

Training: he understands basic commands, but I won’t trust him off-leash in unfenced area. Our outdoor training mainly focuses on getting his attention: I reward him when he checks in on me (ie. looking/glancing at me) during our walks, especially when there are distractions, such as other dogs, squirrels, or loud noises etc. Like many chow chows, he is quite independent and stubborn; so it’s better to get/divert his attention before he sets his mind on something that you don’t want him to get into. I cannot speak for other chow chows, but for Bingo, I think the training should be an ongoing lifelong process.

Noises: he is quite sound sensitive, and is wary of all sudden and/or loud noises. He doesn’t seem to be quite bothered by fireworks/thunders when we are walking outside; but he gets very agitated by them when he is inside the house. So to calm him down I usually put him on a leash and walk him inside the house while giving him some treats (mere treats without the walk doesn’t seem to work: sometimes he would be too anxious to take the treats).

Play: he knows all of his toys by name and likes playing fetch with them. His favorite toys are squeaky plush Llamas. He loves using his nose to “hunt”, so we play these two games regularly: (1) I put him in a room—rub something, usually one of his toys, in my hands and hide it somewhere inside the house—let him sniff my hand and go find the toy. He is a champion in this game and expects many praises and treats after each hunting; (2) I make one of his toys squeak and throw it away—while he tries to fetch it, I hide myself somewhere in the house—Bingo would look for me immediately after retrieving his toy—once he finds me, I’d chase him, and he would run away with his toy. The second game is a nice way to burn some extra energy off both of us.

Thank you so much for reading through this profile. I really appreciate your patience and your interest in Bingo!
Please look into the chow chow rescue society if you need to find Bingo a good home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michael.ralph1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

Please look into the chow chow rescue society if you need to find Bingo a good home.
B&B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by B&B »

Thank you so much for the advice! Last week I did contact them via the email: chowchowrescuesociety@gmail.com. I haven’t got a reply yet. Not sure whether the email address is correct.
michael.ralph1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

I reached out to them and they found your email in the spam folder. Wendy said she emailed you so hopefully they can help you out.
B&B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by B&B »

michael.ralph1980 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:39 pm I reached out to them and they found your email in the spam folder. Wendy said she emailed you so hopefully they can help you out.
Yes, Wendy did email me! Thank you so much!!!