Chowchow sick

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Erikaguarino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chowchow sick

Post by Erikaguarino »

Hello everyone! My chow, primo has babesiasis, fever, cough, hard time breathing, and loss of appetite. Ive already brought him to the vet and had his antibiotics he stayed there for two days and we went home the next so that he can have the comfortability of home. He is on IV now just to get the fluid in his system but he wont eat like literally, he didnt eat the whole day. He would just smell it and lick it a little bit. And I think he has an asthma, he breaths rapidly. What can i do? Is he dying? Send help please! :cry:
NYCdogmomma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chowchow sick

Post by NYCdogmomma »

Did they do scans to see if any foreign object in his stomach or intestines?? My dog had the exact same symptoms, incl drooling, excessive panting, and suddenly refused to eat one day. She seemed like she really wanted to eat but wouldn’t. It turned out to be part of rug that she chewed...and she needed surgery to remove it. Once it was out, she was back to eating normally. Although, this is a very condensed version of the story which I will share another time (so traumatic and insane). I’ll just say...if it turns out to be a foreign object, and they remove it, but your dog is still not eating, go for another scan, bc they may have left stuff in your dog. Like I said...it was so traumatic, but mainly due to negligence at the animal hospital.

Two other thoughts:

IBD: we suspect our dog has IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)...she has intermittent diarrhea that happens mysteriously for no clear reason.

Appetite stimulant: sometimes this can help jumpstart your dog eating again, but consult your vets first. Definitely get multiple scans before this as that could be the underlying issue.

Prednisone: I have heard prednisone can work miracles as a last resort, especially if the dog is starving itself to death. ONLY go this route after consulting your vets...get second and third opinions if you can, bc many vets won’t ever recommend steroids even though they can work miracles. It’s typically only used as an absolute last resort.

Good luck, keep us posted. Prayers for Friday.

Carolyn
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chowchow sick

Post by Brisco »

Dogs can get Covid-19 as well, might be worth checking.
No matter where you go, there you are.