Providing a home for a deaf & blind elderly chow chow mix- Advice?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Faye0731
Rank 0
Rank 0

Providing a home for a deaf & blind elderly chow chow mix- Advice?

Post by Faye0731 »

Hi everyone! Thank you for allowing me to join. I am going to be providing a 'fospice' home to a 14 year old chow chow mix starting Monday. He's blind, mostly deaf, and in overall very poor shape. I do not have any experience with this breed so I have been trying to learn as much as possible to get ready for him. He seems to have a very submissive personality and is sweet and suprisingly social when meeting new people and the other dogs at the pound. He was dumped there by his previous owners and I can't stand to see him there any longer. We have three other dogs; a basset mix, german shepherd, and a chinese crested. All are used to me fostering often so they are great with others and have very laidback personalities. I'll be taking him in for a checkup and bloodwork on Tuesday at my vet. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for me (especially if you have a senior chow chow already that's sensory impaired)? It's greatly appreciated and thanks!!
Prin315!
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Providing a home for a deaf & blind elderly chow chow mix- Advice?

Post by Prin315! »

i took in a deaf chow who was quite old. his owners died and he was to be put down and we got him from a recue locally.he lived about2 years with us and he got to a point where he could not walk. so it was his time and at the vets while wating he was calm and friendly to the other pets. just keep an eye out ours other senses seemed to take over for his hearing loss.i hope this helps