General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fulink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leashing Pulling Problem

Post by Fulink »

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem with my 10 month old puppy. She's a Lab/Chow mix.
More Lab then Chow.

The problem is, she's pulling alot on the leash when we're outside, in the
house or the building hallways she's cool with no problem. Only outside.

Any help on training her to stop pulling would be great!

Thanks.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Leashing Pulling Problem

Post by JasonandNat »

Well generally that's a you problem. To divorce yourself from the issue, add another lead (Dollar Store) to your pups collar. let it drag on the ground, make sure it's long enough to drag about 10 feet behind. Every time pup starts pulling step on this lead and loosen the regular one your holding. Once pup stops pulling pick up your regular lead and continue. Repeat as often as necessary. Do not communicate verbally, you want your pup to focus on you and be one with your actions. You can also walk up the dragging lead to encourage your pup to lie down. Doesn't take long to correct the behaviour and even when you eventually remove the dragging lead your pup will still think it's present. Forever. Best.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Another method is one I have used with great success. It might sound mean at first but it isn't, and if done with a lightweight soft lead it doesn't hurt them at all, it just startles them.
Get a longer lead, one that you can leave about 3 feet extra hanging. while you are walking just gently swing the loose extra end in a circle diagonally in front of you so that when your dog gets in front of you it strikes their nose. This works very quickly, maybe even just a couple of walks and that is it.
No matter where you go, there you are.
meanblackchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meanblackchow »

mine did it for quite a while, what worked for me is that if I felt a pull I just stopped walking, eventually they look back at you then you give a back command and point to where you want them to come. I literally had to do this hundreds of times eventually Calgacus got the hint and rarely pulls now (cats are an exception so all bets are off, he just wants to meet them though not eat them).
Gourami
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gourami »

It's not a "you" problem, it's a lab thing. I've had labs for the last 30 years and regardless of their extensive obedience training (I got both of mine to competition level) they continued to pull when we walked outside. The No Pull Harness available at Walmart helped with this a lot. The harness pulls up under their armpits if they tug. You might try that or a Halti head collar, which I haven't tried but others I know like it.