Does anyone else find that most other dogs don't like your Chow:

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Podgina
Rank 0
Rank 0

Does anyone else find that most other dogs don't like your Chow:

Post by Podgina »

My 8 month old Chow Duke gets bitten or attacked almost daily by other dogs. He's actually friendly to other dogs, which I've heard they can be quite aggressive other dogs. But Duke always wants to play with every day. However, a lot of dogs HATE him. Owners often say to me something like their dog never bites or acts like that when they get more dule. Poodle crosses always bark or run away from him. Gold retrievers pretend he doesn't exist and walks by with their eyes peeping out the corner. Sausage dogs always bite his nose. A german pointer bit his ear so badly it bled.

Are other chows having similar problems? Any suggestions on how to combat this?
timmadoodle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Does anyone else find that most other dogs don't like your Chow:

Post by timmadoodle »

I run into this with my older boy, Mori. He is a nervous boy and is leery of strangers. He has really nervous energy, eager to play with dogs but tenses up... and then he gets jumped. Smaller dogs he will flee from and gets whiny submissive, but larger dogs have managed to hurt him so he will fight back with them. It's rough atm bc people have been letting their dogs roam the neighborhood.

My younger chow exclusively likes his brother with regards to dogs. So I understand why other dogs dislike him and his posturing bad attitude... he gets on great with new people so long as I let him meet the guests before spazzy boy can make a scene.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Does anyone else find that most other dogs don't like your Chow:

Post by JasonandNat »

Generally what your seeing is fear reaction in other dogs towards your chow. The Chow tail up high sends alot of dogs into challenge mode, just usually not brave enough to test them. Although I have yet see one attempt what your describing even with rescues. Generally dogs stay away from chows they don’t know well and chows generally only fight amongst themselves as they do not perceive other breeds as a challenge. We have had lots of rescues chow and other through here and all play without incident until of course a chow is brought in and would like to move up the order or get in on some excitement that already is occurring and it is always chow on chow. Usually over quickly with minor damage unless the challenge is to the matriarch (Death match anyone?) Something to keep in mind, chows challenge any other chow they see as weak in order to take charge. Even at 12yrs of age and with a beachball size spleen, anemia and cancer of the liver, nobody but the young chow pup (his replacement) ever thought of challenging our old male. Our girl had no need to, she had already proven she could clean his clock years ago. Never in all the years of travel with chows up and down the Eastern seaboard of Canada and the USA have I seen the activity being described. So what might be your issue(s)? Is your chow on the leash or off when this occurs with other dogs? Is your chow really getting hurt, as they have some unique advantages thanks to nature? Not trying to be cruel, just to get information. Is it just a nip? Or a real bite and hold on for dear life? What was your chow and aggressor in question doing right before? In the mean time carrying a small airhorn might be a good idea.