General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowderseeker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blue Chow

Post by chowderseeker »

Hello All!
I am in the process of purchasing a new puppy. I am looking for a blue puppy and am looking for a show quality chow, not to actually show but just because I want those features. I have yet to find a breeder that that checks these two boxes except for one. This breeder told me that all of her chows have the blue gene somewhere in their pedigree, which I was able to confirm. However, she also explained to me that she never actively breeds for this color due to the health problems associated with it (skin issues, blindness, deafness etc). She said that she was yet to have a blue puppy but that it is possible.

My question is, what do you all know about the health of blue chows? Ive tried to research myself but haven't been able to come up with anything chow specific. I know that diluted colors/merle are unhealthy in SOME breeds but fine in others. At first I just thought oh well I guess Ill go for black, however, then I remembered that blue is a recognized color for the breed standard, so I wonder how unhealthy can they really be. Any insight would be appreciated. Also, if you all know of any show quality breeders who have blues, any referrals would be appreciated (I am aware of the price associated with these).
Bevychows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Blue Chow

Post by Bevychows »

I have a blue smooth chow-the health isn't determined by the color-except when it comes to crosses such as merle and brindle.The breeder is the one who determines the health..research the breeder very well-ask another owners re health