General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chichi&saba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hot Spots

Post by chichi&saba »

Hi all,

I am just wondering whether there is anything other than the usual - (constantly brushing, drying to ensure no moisture is left, up keeping with flea treatments ect) to avoid chows getting hot spots?

Coming into the Australian summer, I am worried that Saba will get hot spots, last year being her first summer she got quite a few small ones and already I have noticed another tiny one on her back leg which is where she usually gets them and I really want to try minimise the risk! Last summer was hell for the both of us as she was in agony and was pulling her hair out - literally! I really don't want to go through it again! She is both an indoor and outdoor dog and our outdoor area is more of an alfresco with only a small area of grass. We keep her indoors during the really hot days as she much prefers lazing inside with the air con on but that still doesn't help prevent them!

It usually starts off by her itching herself with her teeth and the moisture comes from her own saliva! Then she continuously attacks the area until it becomes a horrible hot spot! I have creams and tablets to treat them but if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent them completely it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
candy15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hot Spots

Post by candy15 »

Hi ever since I stared using tar shampoo my chow chow stopped getting hotspots. I'ts called tar rific I got it from amazon.com
Skoz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hot Spots

Post by Skoz »

I've been managing hot spots last 10 years with 3 chows in Melb, Aust.

What I do to minimise is this:

1. Zero intake chicken
2. Catch early licking then check it ..
3. Treatment for 2. As follows:

A) cut fur away either side
B) soak any tea bag in warm water then apply to hot spot .. On / off / sponge lots of tea bag
C) air dry; then apply scwab of anti septic. I use benedene

.. Very effective. I have not been to vet for years!

Diet very important in this whole process. Again, this works for my chows