Questions to ask a chow breeder

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

germyong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions to ask a chow breeder

Post by germyong »

I thought maybe a new thread to consolidate questions to ask chow breeders would be helpful for members on the forum who could be like me, a noob on the look out for breeders. Please feel free to share from your experience, and thanks in advance! :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Questions to ask a chow breeder

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry, but that's just way too generic to get any valuable responses.

But to get you started, you want to make sure you have access to the puppies parents. They should be approachable (if the dam is not that can be understood as she may still be nursing). You will want to view the facility to ensure that it is clean and humane. Puppy mills will frequently hide that actual area the dogs are kept and just show you a dog or two in the house. Ask for a complete tour. Look for OFA testing results . This ensures that the breeders are responsible and try to minimize the genetic defects within the breed. Although not a necessary detail, breeders that show their dogs tend to be more confident in the lineage. Dogs that have achieved a CH or GCH designation have accomplished a judging routine that demonstrates they are to breed standard and are pretty comfortable being around other dogs and people. I know its harder to do with some of the top breeders, but try to meet the entire litter. Nowadays pups tend to be sold before they are even born and then shipped to the new home. I was lucky enough to actually select my dog from the litter. Great story as he and my wife really picked each other in an instant bond moment. They are inseparable to this day. He wasn't the breeders 'pick of the litter', but we knew right away he was our dog.
germyong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by germyong »

I wish Dreamland Kennel will allow me to pick my pup when the time comes. I'm ready to fly to Texas to pick up my new love. And I hope we have imprint upon each other like your wife and dog. Thanks Rory's dad!
Demi01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Demi01 »

Does anyone else's Chow like to sleep under the table or under the bed? My Akita would sit on top or the coffee table, or the patio table outside so she could see over the fence (cat like) but my Chow seems to be under things. Under my ottoman, under dining room table or under my bed. Just curious if this is just her or this is common amongst many Chow's?
Ishibari
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ishibari »

What do you want to tell or not to my knowledge.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I think the first question I would ask is "what health tests have been done on the parents of the puppy?". My next question would be about the health tests done on the other dogs in the pedigree. I would ask if the breeder guarantees any health problems such as hip dysplasia. Everything should be put in writing also so there are no misunderstandings.

Of course there will be more questions but these are some of the most important.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 5121 times
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

The first thing I would want to know about the breeder is why they are doing it, and for how long.