Other breeds similar to Chow in temperament and behavior

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

stochastic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Other breeds similar to Chow in temperament and behavior

Post by stochastic »

I was curious of someone could tell me of other breeds who share many of the same behavior traits as Chow. Not because I want to get a different breed, but because I'm curious if it reasonably unique etc. I grew up with Chow's and have never had other breeds. Thanks for info :)
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Other breeds similar to Chow in temperament and behavior

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Maybe a Shar Pei is similar to a Chow; they both have dark colored tongues, almond shaped eyes, and hail from the same area of the world. I do not know of any other dog breed that is as loyal, stubborn, smart, gorgeous, and mostly "goofy" as Chows. I mean that in the best way possible; Boo Boo chases bees and barks at a lion statue when we walk by it. Shima, his sister, will jump into the driver's seat when we're going somewhere, and I really have to push her out of the way. One day I was going through Burger King's drive thru with them in the backseat, and the girl at the window was so mesmerized by them she gave me 2 patties for them to eat! And all they were doing was sitting there looking all cute...
ChowServant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowServant »

Extra patties at BK? Hah! I ordered a couple hot dogs at my local Dog House and the girl at the window gushed about BooBoo, my male chow who was sitting beside me in my truck, exclaiming how she wanted one. When he let loose with his "I'm going to consume your intestines" growl she yipped and ran to the other end of the shack and an older waitress had to complete my order. Boo then laid his head down on my leg and appeared to think to himself "Job well done".
BooBoo succumbed to a myriad of problems a few months ago and I really miss him. I now have a couple rescues, one mostly chow and one mostly golden, but neither has the Chow personality.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Chunkymonkeys is right. The closest i can think of is the shar pei. They are booth aloof to strangers, territorial and a one master dog. They both hardly bark. Chows are cuddlier looking though and have less exercise requirements. They also have the tendency towards skin problems
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I can't think of any dog as unique as my chows. There are times, however, I think Loki acts more like a cat...disinterested in most humans, aloof, indifferent...they're amazing!!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I have only met one akita but he was almost identical to my chows in many of his mannerisms and likes....lying in doorways, hating wet grass, being quite aloof and very much a one woman dog but much more athletic than my girls. :lol: He was very stand offish with strangers but I treated him exactly like my chows when I met him and he came straight to me and laid his head on my knee and we were best friends immediately. His owner said he had never done that before and I saw him a few times warn people not to be too familiar like BooBoo....he never did more than a tiny throaty growl but he was definitely saying back off.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.