My dog is being aggressive.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sashasayys »

So today I took my 2 year old chow to his first dog training class. Everything was perfectly fine up until the trainer tried showing people what to do when a dog won't stop barking, and she used my dog to demonstrate...
He completely freaked out. All the bad behaviors that I haven't seen from him since he was a puppy came out all at the same time.
He was growing, barking, and showing his teeth to the trainer. When she tried getting hun to stop he almost but her several times. And her arms ended up being all scratched up because he tried pushing her away with his paws.
She then ended up putting a muzzle on him and tried getting him to submit, of course that didn't go over well either and he actually ended up taking off his muzzle.
She wouldn't let me come near him because apparently he would have gone into "guard mode".
Submission is not a new concept to him, so it was scary to see.
The trainer kept on saying "oh don't worry he's a chow. That's how they are".
I've heard that chows can be aggressive but it was still embarrassing. I just wanted to pick him up and leave.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem...
Thanks
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

She should be embarrassed. If the dog is showing that behavior you don't force it to do anything as a stranger... I doubt he'll ever trust her now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My dog is being aggressive.

Post by ski »

Wow...this trainer doesn't know a thing about chows!!!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Chows are so different - you can't train them just like other dogs. My Chows were never treat oriented and they never do anything that doesn't seen relevant. Your Chow will remember this trainer - I don't know that you will get very far with more lessons.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

sashasayys wrote:So today I took my 2 year old chow to his first dog training class...I've heard that chows can be aggressive but it was still embarrassing. I just wanted to pick him up and leave.
You should not be embarrassed for your Chow. The trainer is the one who should be embarrassed. Yes, leave and find another trainer. Or search the internet for dog training videos. It's not the same as finding a really good trainer, but there are many excellent dog training videos available online.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Boy, I wish that was a training session I could have attended.

Why on earth would they select a Chow to teach how to stop barking. 1st off, its completely against their nature. They are ingrained to alert to unusual situations or suspicious persons. So what did they do to start him barking? If in fact he 'pushed' the dog off like you say, it sounds like he was attempting to bully your dog. Goading any dog is really poor training and it's impossible with a chow. Most likely will do way more harm than good.

Muzzling him to get him to submit is also a poor excuse to understanding a dog's mental state. Muzzling should ONLY be used when in close proximity to other dogs if he gets protective and tries to nip to create space or with a vet/groomer when you know the dog is going to BECOME uncomfortable with the procedure. Trying to muzzle an already agitated dog is never going to have good results.

And letting you sooth your dog when she upset him is beyond ridiculous. And just to add, what sort of idiot presents their arms to calm a dog that has already been put into either an aggressive or defensive position.

Not only do you need to fire this trainer, you need to demand any fees back. 100% unqualified to train ANY dog, let alone a Chow. Training is about trust. The dog learns to trust that what you are asking him to do has a positive feedback. When he sits upon command, you pet his side. If he lies down when you say, he gets a really enthusiastic 'atta boy'. When he stops barking at the mailman because you reassure him that its safe/ok, he gets a treat.

Bully training is never successful. If you have any problems, feel free to pass on my info and I can train your trainer on how ineffective and damaging the method can be.
sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sashasayys »

I'm definitely going to call that trainer tomorrow and have a talk with her.
After we left, my dog has been growling at me, my husband, and even the cats. Today he even growled at me and the cats for being around his food. That is something that he has never done. Not even when he was a puppy. Plus he ADORES these cats, so this is a new behavior. I feel like now I have to win over my dogs trust all over again :(
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I agree with all the comments that have been made. This person has no business training any dog, especially a chow! It may take some time to undo the damage that was done. Please take the time to go to this website http://www.peaceablepaws.com/pat-miller.php and read about positive training. Find a new trainer that only uses positive methods. Until then you can find some great suggestions on the website.

Laura
(30 years in chows)
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8437 times
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

What they said in spades. Demand your money back form this 'trainer'.

Perhaps you could post what you were hoping to gain from going to a trainer. Chow's are very intelligent from day one and with a little calm guidance generally learn to do everything with you - not someone else. (most animals fit this category, save humans).
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I'm currently taking Elsa (she'll be one in about a week) for a manners class, just so she can maybe go on to agility. There are many trainer groups around that use shock collars and such, but this group focuses on positive reinforcement only and so far, the trainer hasn't even attempted to take anyone's dogs. She shows you what to do with her dog and then monitors the class as you practice, giving feedback and suggestions. This is effective in many ways, one being that the dogs can model from her dog...but an important one being you're the one training them! She even had a dog on the first class (a recent rescue) do nothing but bark when in the ring. She didn't try to "dominate" them but sent them out of the area to show the behavior was not acceptable and when the dog calmed down he could come back to the ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

It is important that you have to find a professional who is experienced and skillful in dog-to-dog issues.