Collar Issue

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Collar Issue

Post by Cindy J »

Chance only wears a collar when we take our daily walk. I use the Herm Sprenger fur saver, which I bought for the rottweilers. He really does not pull much on the walks so I could get away with any collar really.

What is a better alternative? Pictures below show the collar line that is developing. Like I mentioned. He wears the collar for only 30-45 minutes per day.

CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Collar Issue

Post by Laura »

What a pretty boy! I use a harness on my two for walks. I also have the rolled leather collars for them but I don't leave them on all the time. When they have their collars on they don't sit on top of the hair....they migrate in close to their skin so I can't even see them except in the front where the tags hang.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Laura. Even with minimal daily wear collars are going to mat and cut down the fur around a Chows neck. Rory has the same problem.

Best bet is a rolled leather. But even then, some of the less costly ones have an edge that will do the same. The better collars are perfectly round and tend to be a little better. I have thought that the nylon show leads (not the box collars) would be really good, but haven't been able to find anything that I trust.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Here is Brutus's collar, bought it ebay and am very happy with it. It comes off when he's not outside. When we go up to our cabin in the summer he is outside a lot. I would recommend one to everyone.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I will look for a good quality rolled leather collar. Thank you so much! Now I need to figure out what size???
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Use a tailor's tape measure for best fit. Allow 2 fingers to slip underneath for final measurement.

I didn't do that for my dogs, but I seem to remember measuring the show collars and deducting 2 inches.

Otherwise, enter Chance in a show and visit the vendors. Let them do the measuring and check out some fits for reference.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

The brand I found on ebay has Circle T stamped on the buckle. They are made by COASTAL and are the Rolled Latigo Collar line. Brutus's is 24 inch but I had to drill a couple holes to make is smaller like you would a belt. I could of bought a smaller one but like it because most the flat part is after the buckle. Paid 14.99 with free shipping and the ebay seller was olbonco.

Rory's Dad is right you could go see a vendor at your next show but most people on here don't go to them so that why I'm sharing the information. I'm going to have to check for them at our next show to compare.

As to Chance size, measure and add 2 inches.

Brutus
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We have used the harness for our Chows but have heard good things about the rolled collar. When our dogs are contained within in our home and yard, they do not have the harness or collar on. We have a GSD now and he is collar/harness free when home.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My chow girl, Tippsy, and my chow mix boy, Jasper both had rolled leather collars that I only used to hold their tags. They were the only collars that didn't mat or break the fur on their necks.

My mix girl, Dixie, had a leather collar but my brothers pit mix puppy (RIP) chewed it off her neck and I haven't bought another, but I need to. I've noticed the coat around her neck looking rough from her current collar....

All 3 had/have harnesses for walks. I don't trust leashes on regular collars. Witnessed too many escapes....
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Collar Issue

Post by TyChowgirl »

Not to hijack the post, but do those of you who use the rolled collars use them to walk or switch the harnesses? My concern is the typical odd shaped neck that allows our chows to back out of their collars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

The harness needs to be fitted properly as well. Shiloh backed out of hers in a park a long time ago but my Chow Chow friends quickly surrounded her to prevent her getting away.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Lucky enough only to have walk issues with Rory. Amber walks great. And Rory only goes forward. Never an issue backing out.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Having a rolled collar shouldn't slip off if on tight enough. Sometimes I'm a little lazy tightening it around the neighborhood. At shows it's another thing and I wouldn't risk it if I wasn't confident it would stay on.

Brutus
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I was at a show last weekend and went around to the vendors to check out the rolled collar selection. Only one seller had them and it was the same one I bought online. After 8 months using it I'm very happy with it for the lack of hair breakage but also the metal buckle seems a lot more secure than the plastic on my previous collar.

Brutus
Sukies_Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sukies_Daddy »

Thanks everyone for this thread.

I was using a heavy nylon collar with a metal buckle for my girl Sukie but was concerned as she was having some matting issues with it.
I purchased a "Coastal Pet Products DCP120620BLK Leather Circle T Oak Tanned Round Dog Collar" from Amazon - she seemed to take to it happily without issue.
After adjustments after a few leash walks it seems to be doing the trick.

Sukies_Daddy
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I use a British slip lead, the leash and collar are all one piece and there is no escaping or breakage of the fur around her neck. Believe me i have tried them all and this is the best.