Always barking at people walking by

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Amc88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amc88 »

Hello everyone I was wondering if you guys can offer some advice. I live in a corner house so lots of people take walks or walk their pets on the side street by my house. No matter what Molly always barks, i have no idea what she is trying to say especially since sometimes she wags her tail. She is very social and i take her out for walks/dog parks/dog camps quite often. Is there anyway in trying to reduce the barking? We have another chow chow puppy on the way and i fear I will have two barking chow chows out there lol.
Attachments
penny.jpg
penny.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
molly 22.jpg
molly 22.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Redirection maybe, but it's super tough because chows were essentially bred to guard and alert. She's doing her job. I would work on redirecting and positive reinforcement so that when you ask for her attention, she'll respond by not barking. Don't expect her to not bark while you're not out there with her though. She's going to let you know people are near you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Always barking at people walking by

Post by tabate45 »

My male only barks when necessary. My female curls up at the bottom of the stairs off the deck and "talks" to nothing but the cars passing by. She is just a bit odd :shock: I have been unsuccessful to find a solution other than bringing her inside.
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

My chunky monkeys would bark a lot when they were pups, but they do calm down as they get older. They are the best security system on 4 legs, and I feel they deter any unwanted intruders onto our property. We just have to be mindful of the noise ordinance in the area; no loud noises after 7 PM and before 7 AM. You will have a blast with the Chows in your life!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

She is going to bark. Her job, as she sees it is to alert you to strange behavior...and that is by her definition. So if someone walks by 'her' property that she doesn't know, she is going to bark to let you know.

Best way to alleviate that...introduce her to the regulars. Get her out at the edge of the sidewalk and get her to know the neighbors. Introduce her and tell her 'they're OK. Praise her for good behavior with those you introduce. She will understand.

Chows are great guard dogs. Don't confuse that for an 'attack dog'...totally different thing. You want your dog to alert you to things that aren't just right, or are strange to her. You need to instruct her on what/who is normal. If your next door neighbor is your best friend and he and his lab walk the street on a regular basis, then you need to assure your Chow that this is OK. If on the other hand, a van pulls into your driveway with 3 strangers aboard, you want her to let you know. She should bark to alert you, and to let those folk know that she is on guard and willing to protect your space if needed. An 'attack dog' doesn't utilize that logic and will simply try to prevent any visitor from accessing your property.
Amc88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amc88 »

Thank you so much for your replies. Yes you guys are right she is just doing her job i guess i wasnt seeing it that way. I think its great that she alerts me when we do have randoms parked on the side of the house on the other hand it is great advice to get her outside to introduce her to the regulars that walk past the house thank you!