Big Baby

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Big Baby

Post by kingalls »

I am pet sitting my daughter's small dog, Bella. The poor girl had a seizure so I decided to bring her home to stay with us. Nahkohe has a "suspicious" interest in small dogs and definitely did not appreciate another dog in the house. I had put Bella in our bedroom to recover. My hubby had left the baby gates open for Shiloh & Nahkohe to explore the dining room & living room (this is normal). In all of his 10 years, Nahkohe has never climbed the stairs. He does not like stairs. But because he knew Bella was upstairs - he went up....PROBLEM! He couldn't get back down. I shut all of the doors and tried to herd him with my legs to go downstairs - nope, he was not going to do it. So I picked up his 55 lb butt and slowly carried him downstairs. I am not a big person so this was a rather risky task. Fortunately, I think Nahkohe knew I was helping him and did not struggle in my arms...he is my big baby :roll:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Big Baby

Post by ski »

When our son first rescued Loki he had to carry him up three flights of stairs as he lived in a prewar walk up in NewYork. Loki required surgery on his hip. This is one of the reasons he came to live with us (that was nine years ago). To this day Loki HATES to be picked up. I am sure it is because of the sensitivity in his hip. We have invested in ramps, stairs, anything that makes it easier for him but the pick up is not an option! At least Nahkohe was cooperative! Chows are dead weight and hard to hold on to!!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I think Nahkohe knew I was helping him...he did not wiggle while I slowly went down the steps. When I got to the last step he did wiggle and I let him down.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hmm! I would not like to carry Tilly or Maisie up or down stairs or indeed round our bungalow! \:D/
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)