General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jinkea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Considering adopt a 2nd Chow Chow

Post by jinkea »

Hi There,
We have got a female chow chow one year ago(now 14 months) and she is turning out great! My friend has passed me some information regarding a 10 month male Chow Chow in shelter and we are considering adopting him. Apparently he has some temperament issues like food aggression, and they have to put a muzzle on him when taking him to vet. This is not a problem for us since we think this is just survival instincts and can be turned around given time.

Just wondering if there might be issues for two Chows living under the same roof that we should be aware of.

Thanks!!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Considering adopt a 2nd Chow Chow

Post by ski »

We rescued Loki about 8 years ago. He has a typical chow personality. Two years later my vet was desperate and needed someone to foster another male chow that she saved from being euthanized. The dog was two years old at the time and was brought to the shelter for food aggression. I was reluctant as I thought this was a recipe for disaster...two males and one with food aggression? Anyway, I agreed to try it for a weekend. We resolved food issue in ONE day. We taught him to wait until given permission to eat his dinner. We now have had Frisco for six years. Once we spent a few days with him we were instantly in love. He and Loki are great buddies and have NEVER gotten into a fight. They are such a pleasure. I know every dog is different but all dogs deserve at least a chance.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry is 7 and 2 or 3 months ago Daisy who is 5 came to live with us, she is very food motivated, very very food motivated, to the point of sticking her nose as close to Henry's mouth as possible when food is going on, for the most part it isn't a problem as when they are getting treats we are right there to stop her. The biggest issue was chicken in a dish, Daisy wanted Henry's too, Henry was having none of it and there was snarling and almost a fight, we learnt to watch them a bit closer. Other than that, having two chowkids is twice as good as having one.
Thank you Sweatpea
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Before you jump into it. Set up a meeting between your girl and the new chow boy. If he growls at her or acts dominant please think twice. It won't be fair to your girl to be stressed in her own house. Keeping fingers crossed and hope they get along.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Before you jump into it. Set up a meeting between your girl and the new chow boy. If he growls at her or acts dominant please think twice. It won't be fair to your girl to be stressed in her own house. Keeping fingers crossed and hope they get along.
jinkea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jinkea »

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for the replies!

We brought our girl to meet him yesterday and they seem to get along. They had a walk together since he just got neutered and could not play. At first she was trying to get him to play, and saw she couldn't, she growled at him for once or twice...but he kinda just ignored her. So in the end they just walked without interfering each other much.

We are currently still waiting for the building to approve our application for 2nd dog. And if that gets approved, we will meet with him again with a behaviorist to see if we could handle his aggression. We really like him so far and fingers crossed!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Yay! Keeping fingers crossed for 2nd dog approval.