Simba's Neutered Today!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

murpleberry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Simba's Neutered Today!

Post by murpleberry »

I am kind of worried about Simba being neutered today because it cost money. JUST KIDDING! Anything for my handsome puppy! I am just worried he might feel different or not remember me from the surgery. What things should I be expecting from him? Should I let him sleep with me tonight? Let him rummage through my garbage? :roll:

I keep reading about how they know they lost their intimate PARTS. I just don't want him to associate me with his private area being sore. He doesn't really have a favorite toy, so should I feed him his favorite treats? If so, how much should I give him. Will he be wearing those cones for a week? I think those look absolutely ridiculous. :P
Dedicated to my fuzzball, Simba!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Simba's Neutered Today!

Post by Cocoa »

I don't think you will have to worry about him wanting to play or even eat tonight, he'll probably still be quite groggy from the anesthetic. The worry is more during the days to follow when you are supposed to keep them calm for the stitches to heal and they get other ideas - wanting to run and play. As far as the cone goes every dog is different (vets as well). With Cocoa the vet didn't put her in a cone because she didn't seem interested in trying to get at her stitches, they just told me to use one if that changed (it didn't). In my experience the boys are more likely to need the "cone of shame" because the area where they are stitched is easy for them to get at.
I'm sure Simba will be just fine, just follow the vet's instructions for after care.