chow loosing winter coat now

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nevadamxt
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow loosing winter coat now

Post by nevadamxt »

my chow is loosing her winter coat as we speak. Seems really strange to me, owned chows for ever diet is good and have other dog thats not? Anyone had this happen she is indoor outdor dog its down to lower teens at night and still she is flat out dumping her coat? Just seems strange to me huge patches now missing
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: chow loosing winter coat now

Post by christina chow mum »

Hi, Christina here. My Chow Ming started "moulting" in September as he does every year. A lot of fur came out while brushing and some of it I could pull out myself or he pulled it out himself with his teeth. The fur that came out was from the top thick layer of fur and not from the inner softer fur and is a lighter colour than the rest of it. There were no "bald patches" and it's a natural Spring and Winter thing for him. Now he has all his winter fur. This procedure every year for me, is perfectly normal for my Chow.

However, what you describe is somewhat strange.

My first thought is to check with your Vet!
My second thought is that you might like to check out these possible causes which I found on the net.

Searches related to cause of dogs losing a lot of fur
Drawn from at least 10 websites, including webmd.com and justanswer.com

Mange:A skin disease of mammals caused by parasitic mites and occasionally communicable to humans. it typically causes severe itching, hair loss, and the formation of scabs and lesions.
Alopeacia:The partial or complete absence of hair from areas of the body where it normally grows; baldness.
Cushings syndrome:A metabolic disorder caused by overproduction of corticosteroid hormones by the adrenal cortex and often involving obesity and high blood pressure.
Hypothyroidism:Abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development in children and adults.

Like I said...always best to check with your Vet for skin tests etc. and hope the info above will be of some help.
Take care and keep on loving your Chow!
Best wishes, Christina. :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

hi nevadamxt,
did u get any updates concerning what's wrong with your chow chow?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Hi, just answering this now. Many chows actually shed twice a year, especially the ones with dense undercoats all year round. Both Firesong and Dreamcdancer have just finished shedding their summer/fall undercoats and growing in their real winter undercoats which they'll shed in a few months. If you see no flaky skin, no dryness and everything else is good, just groom it out so that the true winter coat can grow in as it should.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!