General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

murpleberry
Rank 0
Rank 0

4 1/2 Month Old Chow going to Adolesences

Post by murpleberry »

Hi chow lovers!

My pup, Simba, is about to go into his adolescences soon. I was wondering things to expect and what to do. Hes been good when it comes to follow commands (sometimes). He knows for a fact, that if its not for something. He wont do it! Anyway, what should I be expecting? I hear they can be a major P.I.T.A. :(

I hear they challenge the owners for the lead. Hopefully, it doesnt come to it. Recently, I notice him picking up something in his mouth and I had to take it from his mouth. Thank god I wasn't bit, but I havent gotten to the point where I train him to drop it. Leave it is simple, but when its in his mouth. I don't seem to be able to figure out how to get it out. I went on top of him and grab him by his cheeks and started to make him cough it up. It worked, but I don't want this to happen. Anyway to tell them to drop it outside when I haven't taught him this yet? We are in puppy class, but have yet reach that topic. I feel as though this will be an issue as he growled viciously at me when this occurred. T__T
Dedicated to my fuzzball, Simba!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 4 1/2 Month Old Chow going to Adolesences

Post by Rory's Dad »

It sounds like this is something to work on now...do not wait. Essentially, he needs to be taught that whatever he has is not his, it's yours, and if you want it there can be no argument.

Start with feeding. Food is his most important resource, so make sure he knows you control it. But to keep it a positive reinforcement, try this. Calculate his normal feeding routine, and only put half in his bowl. Stay close and when he is almost finished with that portion, reach in and pick up the bowl. Refill the bowl and have him perform a basic command (sit, lie) and then give him the remainder of his dinner. It will teach him patience, and reward training. It will also build a trust factor. Once he knows there is no downside to letting you take things he should accomodate.

Build on that with his favorite toy. A lot of chows aren't real interested in toys, but if he has a ball he likes, toss it out for him. Recall with a small treat. Swap the ball for the treat. Repeat. Slowly wean the treat for return of the toy/ball. Natural drop...
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

The good news is he is only 4 1/2 months old. I would start opening his month twice a day with nothing in it. First grab his mouth and then say "teeth" to see his bite and then say open to see the tongue. Brutus has been shown in the ring and that is one of the requirement. At first it was hard for him but got a lot easier each day. It teaches them who the boss is and every chow puppy should be taught this. Make sure to reward him for and good behavior too.

Brutus
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Oh, this brings back many memories of me "growing up with Ming" LOL!! I don't believe in professional training for a chow. It isn't really necessary and frankly is a waste of time when every relationship with a chow is very special and individual. Bottom line is there is YOU and there is HIM. Right now, in his puppy insecurity that is all he needs or wants to know. If you can envisage Napoleon standing with his armies gazing across to the British army at the battle of Waterloo before the "final fray" then this kind of describes what you are having to go through, or maybe not if you approach him in a sure, gentle but confident manner. Depends entirely on you, NOT the chow. Chows are exceptionally independent, non-aggressive with their owners unless the owner is a total bombastic idiot or has a bossy and nurd inferiority complex and very, very STUBBORN :!: :!: Even now after seven years Ming will still "go for me" if I accidentally pull his fur, step on his paws or brush him too hard. Stands to reason!.The first thing I remembered when I thought of how to "deal with him" was the old adage that "If you hit a child, then you have lost the child forever". Ergo, if you fight, shout, throw things in your rage and kick walls and doors to get him to "OBEY" then forget it, you are on a loser. Ming has taught me all by himself how to raise him and get him to obey when required. He is totally indifferent to loud voices, shouts and aggressive "commands", will turn his back stubbornly and ignore me until I decide to "behave" and try and approach him in some other way LOL! He is far more responsive to having little "chats" and gentle nudges of persuasion in a low soft voice with lots of happy praise when he is a "good boy!". The key phrase you should keep in mind is "GIVE AND TAKE". For example, SO WHAT if he wants you to put on his collar and lead in the living room instead of out in the yard which you would prefer :?: What's the big deal :?: :?: . Go with the flow, is my motto. No, you are not allowing him to be the "boss", you are not "giving in" you are both the "boss" together in this partnership and its all about compromise. You are a pair of first graders , you will make mistakes, I know I still do, but with patience, understanding his "body and vocal language" and tolerance you will both learn to understand and respect what the other wants. So, give a little, take a little, get a LOT! It is never too early to start your respect of each other and never too late to learn something new every day , for as long as it takes...Good luck!
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Hey, if you want some good advice about training, health and adolescence, look no further. There are many dog owners on this site who post really good and experienced advice. =D= =D= =D= :!:
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.