Does your dog have papers?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does your dog have papers?

Post by reddog »

A number of years ago after 25+ years of marriage my husband decided to “come out of the closet” and move on with his life to be with his boyfriend. Needless to say, wheels were put in motion for a divorce. My husband had connections with numerous lawyers and used several through the proceedings. Every whipstitch we were going back into court. On one occasion he had an attorney who was on the cocky side and kept strutting back and forth like a Banty rooster. He started questioning my about my personal finances, which weren’t much. He said that it had been brought to his attention that I had gotten a dog earlier in the year and asked me what breed. I told him I had adopted/rescued Chloe and she was a chow chow. He then asked me if I had papers for her. I knew what he meant and what he was getting at. I looked directly at him and with a straight face I replied “No, she goes out side when she has to take care of business.” He got all red in the face and flustered. Guess he wasn’t expecting that answer. :lol: \:D/
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Does your dog have papers?

Post by Juniper »

=D= =D= Too funny...you got me really cracking up on that one reddog! WOW...you really think quickly. I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall for that one! :mrgreen: Hope the ordeal w/the divorce has ended or ends quickly.
Jennifer & Sheena
murpleberry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by murpleberry »

Juniper is the greatest, she always replies to threads. Well the time I been on here, she replied back to me with help.

Anyway, I hope your divorces goes your way! I believe that lawyer may try to seize your dog if your ex-husband wants to try to claim Chloe. Just saying because I am in law school and divorce cases can be messy! Just know that, its not require to have papers for your dog. It does help to see if it is up to date with shots and rabies. He could even use it against you on your financial case on how you will support Chloe.
Dedicated to my fuzzball, Simba!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Hang in there! Good luck
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

That Attorney should be reminded that Owners are like their Dogs.
Did you get some kind of Adoption papers when you took Chloe, I did with mine?
Hope your X gets himself caught in a zipper on the Honey Moon!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Did he mean pedigree papers? Most rescue dogs do not have them unless the original owners hand them over. I am guessing that he is going to try and count the value of a purebred dog as property. Divorce is so much fun. Tell him she's a mix.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Juniper
My divorce was finalized several years ago. As for you wanting to be a fly on the wall - My attorney had that pleasure - after I made my comment, I looked at my attorney and he was sitting there with a Cheshire cat grin on his face, trying not to laugh, and winked at me. After the hearing was over my attorney told me that was a good zinger! =D=

Murpleberry
You are right - divorces can be messy. Mine was a nasty one. I adopted Chloe after my husband had moved out and he had filed for divorce. He had not interest in Chloe and doesn't like dogs . They were just trying to discredit me financially so my husband wouldn’t have to pay me what had already been decided during prior court proceedings.

Wokman
I did get adoption papers for Chloe from the humane society. You’re right, dog owners are like their dogs. I think the attorney discovered that some chow attitude had rubbed off on me as he proceeded in his line of questioning. I don't think he was impressed with some of my answers. Oh well :)

Boogie and Linda
Bingo! The attorney was wanting me to say I had pedigree papers for Chloe. Money-money-money? I don’t think so. The joke was on them! \:D/