Blue Merle Chow Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MerleChowChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blue Merle Chow Chow

Post by MerleChowChows »

I have a male Blue Merle Chow Chow that I did get dna tested and he is in fact a pure breed Chow Chow. I am just wondering why people are against the color? I was told over and over that my chow chow Tundra is a mutt because of his color hence why I did the dna test. I just want to understand where people are coming from with their opinions, I have nothing against them, just want to get to know more why people feel this way. Tundra is a year and a half now. He is amazing and a great, sweet dog. I attached a picture of him when he was a puppy.
Attachments
1334278083510.jpg
1334278083510.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 41630 times
Ingrid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Blue Merle Chow Chow

Post by Ingrid »

Usually when a breeder deliberately produces a litter of pups with 'rare colors' they're only in it for the money. And make money they do on customers who pay as much as double for a mixed breed dog who they have been told is 'rare'. Reputable breeders will only breed the colors set out in the breed standard. So that's why you can't trust the breeder you got the pup from, its probably mixed with aussie despite the dna test which can be very unreliable. What company did the dna test? Who is the breeder by the way. Were you provided with an akc pedigree for your pup?

In my area, I've seen Merle cockers being sold at crazy prices on craigslist despite that pattern not being in the cocker breed standard. Its a big money making trend now. Greedy back yard breeders and puppy mills know that many consumers will pay top dollar for a different color, which is why they introduce the new color to their stock. And then charge consumers up the wazoo for a poorly bred mutt. And I think that is what bugs people the most. The 'color' breeders are more interested in producing dogs with unique coats and not much thought goes into health screening their stock and improving the breed. The Merle gene introduces several health issues, including blindness as you probably know, which is another reason reputable breeders frown upon anyone breeding Merle chows.

That being said, your pup is adorable and hopefully he will be healthy. In the end he will be your little buddy regardless of people's opinions on his coat. Do you have recent pics?
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Those dna tests aren't overly reliable, and they state clearly they are for entertainment purposes only. Though they may get some right, I don't believe they are to the point where they can be depended on for accuracy.

I personally do not know much about the 'blue merle' chow chow, I have only recently seen them a bit over a year ago when I was searching for my own chow. As Ingrid said, it was my guess that someone was crossing them and trying to pass them off as 'rare.' The ad I saw stated they could not supply papers, but don't worry...it was def purebred. There have been people who have bred to different breeds of dogs to get get a different result [if we think about it, this is how many breeds were originally created]. I just watched a documentary where some breeders from the uk that bred dalmatians with pointers to get rid of a genetic defect originally with the dal. The first generation hardly looked like a dal, but with a couple more generations...they had a dog that looked exactly like the dal without the defect. Was actually pretty interesting show, but trying not to get too far off track...as Ingrid also mentioned, breeding some things will do more harm than good. Bringing us back to why Merles most likely haven't been accepted in the chow world.

Did yours turn much darker as he aged? I only saw one picture of a blue merle chow as an adult, and he looked more black than the blue he probably was as a pup. He had some dark patching through his coat, it reminded me a lot of merle danes, who also turn much darker as they mature [or at least the ones I've seen].

Interesting topic, welcome.
Ingrid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingrid »

MerleChowChows wrote:Tundra is a year and a half now. He is amazing and a great, sweet dog.
I noticed that you posted on another site that he is blind in one eye: "I have a male blue Merle chow chow Tundra that is the same exact colors and is blind in one eye too."
In the comments on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4l8aJs2E84

I also noticed from your facebook page that you are breeding Tundra and selling his puppies for $1500 which is unethical given that the blindness gene will be passed to his puppies as well as any other congenital health issues that you have not tested your chows for.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Merl ... 8355682594

From your ad: (the picture of the pups is from your facebook page)
We have two Blue Merle Chow Chow male and female. This is a very hard dog to find. You won't come across another one again! They was born 3/20/13. We are asking $1500 obo each because you won't find another chow chow that is Blue Merle! If you are interested in getting a one of a kind dog, Call or text me
http://greenbay.ebayclassifieds.com/dog ... d=26979077

Please have Tundra neutered for the good of the breed and also for the families who you will sell puppies to who's hearts will be broken if their chow is blind. Merle was never a chow chow color in the past and should stay out of the breed because of the health issues associated with it. You are not bringing the merle chow "back from extinction" as you stated on your facebook page but only introducing health issues instead. You mentioned he is a sweet boy, please keep him as a loved family pet and do not breed him.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Ingrid wrote:
MerleChowChows wrote:Tundra is a year and a half now. He is amazing and a great, sweet dog.
I noticed that you posted on another site that he is blind in one eye: "I have a male blue Merle chow chow Tundra that is the same exact colors and is blind in one eye too."

I also noticed from your facebook page that you are breeding Tundra and selling his puppies for $1500 which is unethical given that the blindness gene will be passed to his puppies as well as any other congenital health issues that you have not tested your chows for.

We have two Blue Merle Chow Chow male and female. This is a very hard dog to find. You won't come across another one again! They was born 3/20/13. We are asking $1500 obo each because you won't find another chow chow that is Blue Merle! If you are interested in getting a one of a kind dog, Call or text me

Please have Tundra neutered for the good of the breed and also for the families who you will sell puppies to who's hearts will be broken if their chow is blind. Merle was never a chow chow color in the past and should stay out of the breed because of the health issues associated with it. You are not bringing the merle chow "back from extinction" as you stated on your facebook page but only introducing health issues instead. You mentioned he is a sweet boy, please keep him as a loved family pet and do not breed him.
Wow...I'm not going to say a lot because I'm afraid I'll loose my cool and that doesn't help anything. I'll just say I hope you reconsider what you are doing and realize that breeding serious genetic defects such as this aren't helping the breed or even the dog species in general.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

applebear wrote:
Ingrid wrote:

Wow...I'm not going to say a lot because I'm afraid I'll loose my cool and that doesn't help anything. I'll just say I hope you reconsider what you are doing and realize that breeding serious genetic defects such as this aren't helping the breed or even the dog species in general.

IF this is really true would you please stop with this??? Before this poor animals end up in a shelter bc the family that bought them do not want to deal with all the expenses of a sick dog and they end up killed there.. to cruel… STOP.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow. I saw the other post before this one, which pretended to be quite innocent and asked questions about the DNA testing.

After seeing this one, it is quite obvious that you're quite aware of the history of your dog and are in fact trying to profit from a known genetic defect. Rest assured that your posts and FB page will be backtracked and reported to the appropriate authorities. Others have been much kinder, but continuing to breed from this stock is criminal, as is selling a known genetic defect to unsuspecting people.

Good luck, but you chose to post on a site that genuinely cares about the breed, and will need to deal with the consequences.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Rory's Dad wrote:Wow. I saw the other post before this one, which pretended to be quite innocent and asked questions about the DNA testing.

After seeing this one, it is quite obvious that you're quite aware of the history of your dog and are in fact trying to profit from a known genetic defect. Rest assured that your posts and FB page will be backtracked and reported to the appropriate authorities. Others have been much kinder, but continuing to breed from this stock is criminal, as is selling a known genetic defect to unsuspecting people.

Good luck, but you chose to post on a site that genuinely cares about the breed, and will need to deal with the consequences.
I second the above. I'm infuriated to know you're breeding known defects, which can cause so many more genetic problems (deafness and blindness are 2 defects associated with merles and obviously you know this since your dog is partially blind!), and attempting to profit from it! What you're doing is aiding in the DISTRUCTION of this much beloved breed! You should be ashamed! I truly hope Karma comes back and bites you in the @$$ for the pain and heartache you're going to cause the puppies you produced and the families who buy them! You're obviously nothing but a scum BYB.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Please could you let us all know who this FB user is as I for one want to be sure that neither me nor any of my friends ever buy from this "breeder" There are so many people out there that are just in it for the money and here is another :evil:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Appropriate name on this site...

http://www.hoobly.com/hGDTL/rare-blue-m ... -puppy.htm

And here on Ebay...

And finally on FB, with the nerve to pass themselves off as a foundation intent on 'saving an almost extinct breed'...

Quite a few other posts as well, but limited to 3 URL links.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have sent an email to the Director of the Bay Area Humane Society requesting an investigation into this individual. Fortunately the Hoobly ad lists a phone number, so it will be pretty easy for them to identify. Several other web ads have already been closed down. Most comments on FB are very negative, and a few have noted reporting the account.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

The coloring of your chow "blue merle" is indeed rare and one of a kind. I would likened it to an albino. Something rare and uncommon. Now if you could just please pause for a moment and be happy about you having a unique dog on your side, wouldn't that be great? But please dont go around selling it to susceptible individuals who are only into it because they like to be different and having a RARE dog is a status symbol.
Why would you breed him? If even you breed him, keep all the puppies. Or just give it away for free.
People here are right, that's unethical. Judging by the "rare" coloring - if indeed that is a pure chow - that is genetic disorder.
So what's the problem with that blue merle color? Chows aren't known to have it. For generations. At least 120 years before. They dont have that color.
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

Actually blue merle or merle colorings is not that uncommon in most breeds and species of canines. It is in actuality a heterozygous DOMINANT gene, however it is an incomplete dominant gene. Because of this fact many merles have a more pronounced manifestations of defects and disorders mainly the deafness and blindness trait. When a merle is bred with another merle, the litter has a 25% chance of producing a double merle pup. Dogs with double merle gene, meaning instead of just having 1/2 of the merle gene, they have both alleles in the pair are more susceptible to the above defects. This is the reason why merles, not just in Chows, are frowned upon in most kennel clubs around the world as well as reputable breeders that bred for not just kennel club standards but mostly for health and temperament. As misguided as organized kennel club standards might sometimes be, there is a very valid reason why merles are not accepted in conformation rings or even to be registered and that is the association of merle gene with deafness and blindness. Breeders that wanted to produce merles but wanted to minimize the risks of congenital defects usually breed merles with non-merles. However this does not guarantee a merle free of the said defects. It does minimize the risk but not by a lot since the actual merle gene is speculated to code for both deafness and blindness traits as well.

Therefore, for the sake of the future puppies and the hearts and emotions of the family that WILL get blindsided by this "RARE" coloring, neuter both your merle Chows. Worst case scenario is that the pups will end up in a shelter or worse get dumped on the streets because of the defects they might get. This is a loss for both the future pups and owners. The only one gaining anything from this is you, the unscrupulous BYB that is just in it for the money (seriously $1,500 ?). I hope I am wrong about you and will do the right thing which is to neuter your dogs.

Just my 2 cents.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I already posted on your FB page as have many members from this site. As I said there breeding this dog is immoral and vile.

As bad as blindness is for a dog, deafness is far, far worse. Given that hearing is one of their primary senses with smell. For a dog the senses are smell, hearing, sight, touch and taste. A deaf dog can become very aggressive from fear. Given the basic personality of a chow and a tendency to fear aggression anyway, a deaf chow stands a great chance of becoming a fear biter and being put down.

There is absolutely no reason at all to breed this dog. The four standard colors are beautiful and have many variation in them, (with as few genetic problems as reputablebreeders can accomplish) but this is breeding for the health, intelligence and longevity of the breed. Color should be one of the last things considered in a breed. To delibertly breed for a color known to carry a genetic risk of more severe problems is horrible. You'll find few people here who will tell you otherwise, if any at all.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Leeds01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blue Merle Chow Chow

Post by Leeds01 »

Bet you regret posting on this forum now. Haha
Kspurlock
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kspurlock »

This is just ridiculous. As a couple others have said why not be happy to have a very unique dog? I'm a victim of a breeder selling me a chow with known health problems. It's not right, I love my dog and my heart hurts when I think about her health. Fortunately she landed herself in my hands and I fully take on caring for her. You should be ashamed of yourself. Not just for selling your poor pup, which YOU took on the RESPONSIBILITY of caring for, but also for knowingly tricking other families.

Absolutely horrible, get off this site the people here care about the breed and I for one hope they do investigate and take your dog away from you. You don't deserve him at all.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cam, i hope you read some of the other posts on this. Merle is not just a 'rare' coloring. It is a defective gene as Twisted pointed out. The odds are that the pups will be partially blind, completely blind, or deaf. The original poster, who probably has decided to hide behind a brick wall at this point has openly acknowledged to breeding a dog that is blind in one eye. The blindness is not an accident, and was not caused by an unfortunate hunting accident. It is genetic. In my eyes, pun sorta intended, that is worse than breeding stock with known hip displasia or other severe disorders. For the most part, breeding these dogs is INTENTIONALLY subjecting any offspring to a life of disability. And anyone who unknowingly purchases these dogs is going to have to bear a lifetime of incredible medical expenses or abandon the dog.

If the merle gene was stable and produced healthy dogs, i am quite certain they would be accepted. Cream Chows that carry a full blue/black tongue and nose are extremely desireable because it is rare, but their is no genetic defect if they happen to get pink spots, and no true risk attempting to breed for the cream color.

The breeder passing himself off as a 'foundation' bent on saving a nearly extinct version of Chows is reprehensible. Charging show quality pup prices is both insulting and criminal in my opinion.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You know, it just occurred to me...when was the last time anyone saw a litter of Chows with only 2 pups?
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Rory's Dad wrote:Cam, i hope you read some of the other posts on this. Merle is not just a 'rare' coloring. It is a defective gene as Twisted pointed out. The odds are that the pups will be partially blind, completely blind, or deaf. The original poster, who probably has decided to hide behind a brick wall at this point has openly acknowledged to breeding a dog that is blind in one eye. The blindness is not an accident, and was not caused by an unfortunate hunting accident. It is genetic. In my eyes, pun sorta intended, that is worse than breeding stock with known hip displasia or other severe disorders. For the most part, breeding these dogs is INTENTIONALLY subjecting any offspring to a life of disability. And anyone who unknowingly purchases these dogs is going to have to bear a lifetime of incredible medical expenses or abandon the dog.

If the merle gene was stable and produced healthy dogs, i am quite certain they would be accepted. Cream Chows that carry a full blue/black tongue and nose are extremely desireable because it is rare, but their is no genetic defect if they happen to get pink spots, and no true risk attempting to breed for the cream color.

The breeder passing himself off as a 'foundation' bent on saving a nearly extinct version of Chows is reprehensible. Charging show quality pup prices is both insulting and criminal in my opinion.
As seen on FB, the owner is oblivious and refuses to acknowledge anyone who isn't supporting what she is doing and it is why she isn't commenting now. The fact Tundra is blind should be reason enough not to breed him. She can't grasp the concept that it's not literally the color that is the problem, it's what genetic defects that come with it. She often likes to excuse it by stating over and over she's not breeding merle to merle, leaving out the fact that it doesn't matter if you are or not, it's still passing on the defect even when just breeding one to a black, etc.

She won't answer any questions about health testing or pedigrees that any other ethical breeder would and could answer in a heartbeat, because she knows her answers only highlight how unethical it is. But tell her what a beautiful dog she has and she's magically there. Just goes to show where her priorities are.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

I'm Going to her FB page and reporting it as a scam as much as I can...
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

Hello.

I'm a longtime lurker and new member, as I have an 11 week old cream chow chow pup, Wookie. I will post an introduction thread but this post caught my eye. I agree blind dogs should never be bred. My pup's father was a health certified blue merle and his mother was a light cinnamon. The 'merleness' of the sire had nothing to do with my choice, but his father was beautiful.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

giseleassink wrote:I'm Going to her FB page and reporting it as a scam as much as I can...
Looks like it was taken down [whether by owner or fb, I have no clue], or at least it wasn't there last time I looked.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Just keeps getting better and better...yes it appears the FB page has been taken down, still lots of web ads out there though.

Now it appears she also has Brindle Chows...

http://dogs.oodle.com/view/brindle-chow ... en-bay-wi/

Wonder if any of these dogs actually exist or if its a complete scam.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

This is so off the wall crazy. There is another breeder who offers what she says chocolate chip puppies, as well as blue merles.There were a few pictures and that's just what the colors of the pups look like. Interesting thing, this is a breeder who claims she is a 5 star quality breeder of 2011. How can this be?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

chow4life wrote:This is so off the wall crazy. There is another breeder who offers what she says chocolate chip puppies, as well as blue merles.There were a few pictures and that's just what the colors of the pups look like. Interesting thing, this is a breeder who claims she is a 5 star quality breeder of 2011. How can this be?
Because you can claim anything! I assume there is no such thing as a star system for breeders! She just made it up!