General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

My Chows and CHICKEN!

Post by gebower »

Hi Everyone,
Whenever we have chicken, they just can't stand it! It is what a Chow dreams of. They snore, and say "chicken," snore and say "chicken." That's my Chows. When we have chicken they are pushing their big noses under our elbows. I give them their kibble after that with some of that "ALL WONDERFUL CHICKEN" that they dream of, cut up in little pieces and mixed with their kibble. WE think WE love chicken? If you have a Chow you will know that you don't love chicken as MUCH as THEY do! For sure. Yes, I SPOIL my Chows because I LOVE them, sorry, that's just the way I am. But, I always make sure they get good healthy kibble for them too! But, it is funny when we have chicken, they seem to lose their normal composure then!!!! Won't feed them at the table though. A no no. True, some Chows may not like chicken or allergic to chicken but, mine? It's heaven. Chows are like people. Some people may not like chicken either. Although I don't think it's that many really.

Gene
Last edited by gebower on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My Chows and CHICKEN!

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My guys don't care for chicken all that much actually, well, Jazz is also allergic.... But that's besides the point. Tippsy didn't either. :lol: My guys' weakness is steak (even though, again, Jazz is allergic and can't have it). :lol:

It's nice to spoil them with what they love on occasion though.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

FYI, in the show ring it's either liver or chicken used for bait. Chows don't usually pay attention to most things but with bait in the handlers hand they are very focused. It's almost like a light switch goes on. About the same as asking them if they want to go for a walk except with bait it tells them it's show time. That's the only time Brutus gets it so he really knows.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You got that right.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty loooovveesss chicken. And sometimes I'm a bad mommy and "accidentally" drop some chicken when I'm cutting/tearing it up for my chicken soup. It's always boiled in the chicken stock, so it's extra tasty...
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

My Tess loooooooooooooooooved chicken too. I think if I had let her she could have gobbled up one whole chicken. Loved being in the kitchen with me, just smelling a roasting chicken gave her so much happines.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

What food that does surprise me that our chows have always liked is tuna. The smell has always made them go crazy too and have let them lick it out the can after most of the tuna has been taken out. We do use the opener kind that cuts the side of the top so no sharp edges result. I know they make dog food now out of salmon but back when we started it they didn't. When I think of fish, cat not dog food comes to mind.

Brutus
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

Oh my chow loves loves chicken! When I get one of those little cooked chickens at the grocery store I give here all the dark meat :)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yes, Tuna is another hot commidity. I thought my cats were bad, but Ty loves it too. He also treasures the beef bare bites (dehydrated beef liver straight off the farm) that an indepently owned business down town has. And cheese. But the place we get the bare bites also makes doggy peanut butter and other things...plus, it's the cheapest place to get TOTW and all the other really good foods. She doesn't sell crap.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh my goodness - chicken and tuna.

We always give ours chicken on a Sunday. I get bags of chicken fillets from the supermarket and slowly poach some for them. When it is cooking their little noses twitch away like fury and when cooked and cooled Fred cuts it up very small and we add some dry food or some rice and they love it. They absolutely savour it and we love to watch them have their Sunday treat. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

My Minnie is all about the salmon. Chicken will do, however, when salmon isn't available. Liver is never acceptable, hahaha. I had a trainer try to prove me wrong. She took the liver treat, rolled it on her tongue, when politely dropped it at his feet. She then refused to acknowledge him again.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee!
Just like a chow chow! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Oh yes, my Chows are crazy about fish too! All kinds of fish including tuna. If I had to list what they love, it would be 1.
Chicken, 2. Fish, 3. Beef, especially some leftover steak, cut up in little pieces and the juice mixed in their kibble with a little beef stock too. Yes, I spoil them somewhat but, I love them, can't help it. They're my buddies. If I would put straight kibble out for them they wouldn't eat it for two days until they're good and hungry. SPOILED! Spoiled rotten.
Gene.
Gene
ChowRo12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowRo12 »

My Kayla loves chicken but alas, she started to itch like crazy last week and was losing chunks of hair! So we tried to just give her dry food (which is salmon) but she didn't eat that. We caved and gave her some meat in her food so she would eat something! My husband gave her tuna with her food, she loved it! So we are just going to stick with fish stuff for her.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry's a cheese freak.
Then Tuna, and he loooves the salmon skin bones you can buy, stinky things they are too. He was really funny when we had puffer fish (since departed), I used to have to feed the puffer krill (teeny tiny shrimp), it would be one for Piff (yep my username came from Piff and Poff the puffer fish, piff killed poff) one for Henry and so on, he would sit so pretty waiting for his fish food lol
Thank you Sweatpea
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cheese and salmon skin bones? I think Henry must be related to Cocoa, those are her favorites!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cassie loooves chicken. Better than anything else. She sooo love chickens that she even chases the live ones. So that one escaped and we have no hope of having a few chickens in the yard. :lol:
She spends her day time endlessly chasing sparrows and pigeons, to no avail.