General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm upset....

Post by Fozzbear »

I have had a very bad day today.
Some of you will know how many problems I have had with Fozz's health - it has broken my heart to see her go through so many medical procedures so young. I thought we had got the last hurdle over when she was spayed a few weeks back but I found out on Monday that she needs a second operation for entropian. *Sigh*
I have been so pleased with Humphrey but noticing recently that he has been limping and seeming a bit stiff in the front legs. He had a big day out on Tuesday, playing in the snow and chasing his friends. On Wednesday he was all but lame - I took him straight to the vet and he had lots of X rays etc done today. It turns out that he has elbow dysplasia in both front legs. I saw the X rays myself and it was pretty obvious (with a bit of help from the vet and a manual) that he has bony growths where he shouldnt and things are not good. He has already developed osteo-arthritis in the joints.
There isn't much to be done for the condition. He is having an op on Tuesday which will remove some problem bone fragment from each elbow - it helps slow down the condition and make it more comfortable for 50 % of dogs. In the long-term, it is inevitable that his legs will get worse. He will have to be managed on pain killers and anti-inflammatory medication. Science may have moved on a bit by the time it gets to be too much of a problem for him, so I may get some other treatment option then.
When he gets over his op, I'm going to get a referral for canine hydrotherapy (swimming basically) as that can be helpful. I guess that we will both be getting wet!
I'm really devestated. I just want happy healthy, pain-free dogs. All I can do is make sure they have a nice life for as long as possible. Maybe I will knit Humphrey some leg-warmers as he is going to look pretty silly after next week with two shaven legs.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I'm upset....

Post by kitten1426 »

Im sorry to hear about this...I know how you feel tho..We just had our old Female 3 months ago [she wasnt even 2 yet]..she had FHO surgey she is making a great recovery but it was a long road..Now Kodi needs entropian surgey too..All i can say is hang in there,Hope that helps...i know its hard..Hope things get getter for you and Fozz...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I know how horrible it seems, in December Cocoa was diagnosed with a mild ED in her front left leg. Fortunately there were no fragments the needed surgery, I'm sorry Humphrey is going to have to go through that. For Cocoa the vet recommended glucosamine, chondroitin and omega 3 supplements as well as anti-inflammatory pills. The supplements seem to be working really well, I haven't had to give her any pain pills for the last couple of months. She can still be a little stiff when she first gets up but then she runs and plays like normal. Check with your vet about the supplements, it is so much healthier for them than drugs. Like you said there is not a lot they can do to treat elbow dysplasia, it's just a management thing.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

So sorry to hear about all the discomfort your friends are going through. At least they have a Veterinarian that is doing something about it. My late Miss Kamie limped on and off in her later years. Kamie received nothing but a joint supplement that I administered since the Veterinarians said there was nothing they could do. My Mr. Leo has been walking slowly for the last ten years after injuring himself when he jumped off the examination table at the clinic; he does not like tables that move. Fozz and Humphrey are so fortunate to have an owner that cares so much for them. =D=
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry - this is a blow - thinking of you all. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

After Humphrey's surgery I would suggest checking into a Vet that does acupuncture. I have had it done on two of my Chows in the past and had wonderful results. My Teddy had arthritis first in his front elbows then down the back of his spine. I knew he wouldn't put up with them putting the needles in him so we did cold laser for him. We also used the supplements on them.
Thank you sweetpea!!
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

I’m so sorry to hear about the health issues Fozz and Hunphrey are having. :( I can imagine how disheartening it is for you with them being as young as they are. I think it is a little easier for us “parents” to accept and deal with health issues our fur babies may have when they are older even though it bothers us just as much. We don’t like seeing our chowdren hurt or suffer.

Please keep us posted as to how Humphrey’s surgery goes on Tuesday. I’ve read a few articles regarding canine hydrotherapy. It sounds like a good idea and something to try. Did your vet suggest perhaps giving him dasuquin, which is a joint supplement? It is along the line of glucosamine and chondroitin . My vet suggested I put Whitby on it because her hind legs were stiff when I rescued her little over a year ago. She is going on 8 yrs old. Her previous “mom” had had both of her acl s operated on when she was little over a year old per recommendation of a " quack" vet. It seems to be helping as she doesn’t seem to be as stiff in the hind legs as she was.

It you do knit the leg-warmers for Humhrey, please be sure to post a picture of him wearing them. :)

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Whitby and I have our paws and fingers crossed that all goes well with Humphrey's surgery.

We are sending you purple kisses and a big comforting hug.

Take care
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Porr boy, I bope his surgery goes well. I can imagine the look on henrys face if I suggested hydrotherapy, he runs a mile when oh suggests he goes in the bath with me as he will sleep in the bathroom when im in there :-x :lol: I hope the fozzlikes the idea xx
Thank you Sweatpea
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Thank you everyone.
Humphrey had his surgery yesterday and came home today. His elbows are shaved so it looks a bit like he is wearing fluffy Ugg boots! Or has ideas of being a poodle. His surgery went as well as expected and now he has two very bruised elbows and is on total rest for four weeks. He isn't allowed to do anything really - no running, jumping, playing, climbing stairs etc etc. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep him amused .......
Another - very unexpected - situation has just arisen. Humphrey has been sleeping since he got home but just woke up when the dog-walker came to take Fozzchops out (I'd take her myself but am minding the invalid). He got very excited and started saying hello to her in a very high-pitched whiny noise - and Fozzchops attacked him!! Quite aggressively too. I have NEVER seen that sort of behaviour from Fozzchops. I guess Humphrey smells a bit odd to her and the noise he was making triggered something - no idea what.
Fozzchops went straight outside for some time out before I let her go with the dog-walker - I'm not tolerating that sort of nonsense. That is the last thing Humphrey needs today.
All this illness is obviously taking a toll .....
Stella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stella »

I'm so sorry to hear about all the troubles. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

:-( Sorry to hear really. But stay upbeat and look at the moments and enjoy them while it lasts.
So much bad news lately with the young chows. Rory also have a torn ligament.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

So sorry - just keep positive. :)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Just an update - both Fozz and Humphrey doing well. The hardest thing is to stop them from playing! Humphrey is not supposed to bounce and I dont want Fozzchops' eyes getting caught. Unfortunately, the two of them dont seem too concerned about these things and are wrestling all over the house!
Humphrey didnt keep his legwarmers on in the right place - he was wearing them as ankle-warmers or socks so I gave up! He starts canine hydrotherapy in a week or so, so I'll get a photo. I hope that they have a life-jacket big enough. I hope it wears him out too - all this 'resting' is wrecking the house, toys everywhere.
Fozz looks a bit of a state - hardly any fur after being spayed (hormonal thing I guess), red-eyed and little shaved 'spectacles' from her eye op. I dont care - I love her no matter what. She seems happy enough so that is what is important.
I've cheered up now!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

:D Good - sounds better - I chuckled when I read about his "ankle warmers "
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I'm so glad to hear that both your babies are doing well. And don't worry, the shaved spots will grow back before you know it. I am so looking forward to seeing the pictures of Humphrey in hydrotherapy. I can't imagine Cocoa being happy with that considering her hatred of all things wet. :lol: