General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Growing hair!

Post by cge2809 »

Hi everyone!! :)

my chow is 10 months and she's getting adult(?) hair around her back and butt area.

the groomer said it will take about 1-2 years to lose all the puppy fur.

but I noticed that her neck area's hair is not growing. it is so short and tangled.

Is it because of her collar? she wears a martingale collar (the regular collar is not working for her..)

of course I brush her almost everyday, especially her neck area since I found out this problem. Is it normal that neck hair grows slow?

what if she doesn't get new hair on her neck? :(
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Growing hair!

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It probably is because of the collar. The only collar I have found that does not break the fur of their ruff is a rolled leather collar. That's what I use for my boy Jasper and my girl, Tippsy, who passed away a couple years ago. And I use harnesses with my dogs instead of attaching their leashes to their collars.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Your groomer is wrong I think, most chows have full adult coats by 1 year, especially if there is a shedding season in there. And as Tippy's Mom said it is the collar that is keeping the fur around the neck from growing. My two wear rolled braided nylon collars, (just like the leather ones only nylon) and they work great. They wear harnesses for walking, but are they don't wear them any other time.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rory is 15 months, and still has a bit of puppy fur around the neck and top of his head. It is not due to collar, and he only wears collar to go out, never in the house...so estimate about 1 hour a day.

I like the recommendation on collars, but i dont think any will inhibit shedding or blowing out the puppy coat. They may cause some mats, but shouldn't be too severe if groomed regularly. More likely your climate or the genetics of the dog. Full bone growth doesnt occur until about age 2, so its likely they can retain some of the puppy coat. i don't disagree with your groomer, especially if its just certain spots on your pup that havent gone to adult.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Leo (the blue boy) shed his puppy coat very quickly, except around the neck. Just the other day I took another big bundle of puppy fluff off. Max, however, has TONS of puppy fluff around his mane and a bunch of really kinky-tight curls on his butt. I don't force it!! Mostly because Leo hates to be groomed in the first place and secondly because I don't want them to ever HATE the brush or comb. So, I groom when I can and TREAT, treat, treat when they're well-behaved. (Okay, I treat when we're done regardless because ... well, just because!) Both Max and Leo have lovely adult hair coming through their puppy fluff, which makes it another challenge to groom. I call Max my Joseph's Coat because he has so many colors.

Leo and Max are now 16 months (TODAY!) old and filling out very nicely. It's so great to hear that you can groom your pup daily. That's essential not only for the condition of their hair/skin but also for socialization.

Leo and Max only wear their harnesses for walks and playing at the park across the street, otherwise they're free all day. We are very fortunate to live in a very small town and that my husband built them a fence around their yard last year (we call it their playpen).

Kimba, our girl down there in the signature, she wore a collar 24/7 and the hair under her collar (nylon braided web, type) was always short and kinky. It was very difficult to brush but she LOVED, LOVED, LOVED to be scratched under there. ((Long-story-short: she was my husbands dog and REFUSED to let me groom her.)) On very hot days, I would take her collar off and give her lots of lovin' there.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

My opinion is that your groomer is right about taking 1-2 years to lose her puppy fur. Our Brutus is 20 months old and his puppy fur took all of 18 months. I didn't know that wide collars could cause their hair to break around their ruff. Brutus has always had one on but since we have a fence yard I didn't think it would hurt. I took his off tonight and below his mouth was the only part that seemed affected. I'll keep it off unless we leave our yard from now on. I guess I was worried if he got lost his tags on his collar would help in the return. But since he is micro chipped and has never got away I won't worry. As Rory's Dad said it's more likely genetics or since your dog is still very young.

You also might be brushing her too much. While showing Brutus another chow owner informed me before you begin brushing, mist your dog's coat with a spray-on conditioner. Even water will do. This helps the brush move smoothly through the fur, and cuts down on static electricity and broken hair.

Good luck and keep us informed,

Last edited by 612guy on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brutus
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba and Nala,
getting brushed daily and competing who is first. I only need to show the brush and they come over.
For Simba it is a real treat, on weekends I treat him up to 30 minutes. During week days 5 to 10 minutes must do.
He first lies down, I then ask him to lay on one side, then "roll over" to the other. So the get's a full body massage in his own dog spa. :lol: Nala is less patient, so in 5 minutes I have to be done.
This brushing is in the tropics a must, so air can reach the skin and bacteria growth, virus etc can't find breeding ground in entangled fur in dark, moist places like under the chin etc.
they never wear collar, only harness during walks. you can see Simba's mane on it's birthday picture. I already had to cut the feather furr twice not make him look too big. He is still not in his complete adult furr. The sides are still fluffy baby furr. Nala just started to change the furr on her back into adult. luckily also perfect cream color.
her nose changed from nearly complete black to nearly complete pink. She just became 6 month old.
Both have no issues with skin, furr despite tropical climate. I also give them a shower once a week.
Best regards
Pinoy51