quick question about my chows :D

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

quick question about my chows :D

Post by stephenjason »

Just got my chowchow pupps a while ago...
Got 1 color cream and 1 almost white cream
they said both of them have the same father but different mothers.

my question is, will the features of the pupps change while they are still growing?
because if you will notice, the white pupps nose is longer than the other one...

the darker one has a fluffier coating too...
btw both of them have no spot plain black blue tongue..
here are the photos

they said they are pure bred chows so i want to know your opinions
Last edited by stephenjason on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: quick question about my chows :D

Post by Pinoy51 »

looks the link to the pictures is broken, I can't see your pupps. But even without seeing them their features will change a lot. nearly everything changes, why don't you check the photo gallery for pup vs adult pictures. The only constant features are basic fur color and appearance (rough vs smooth), ears (should be standing and triangle shaped for pure bred chows) and open or closed face. So length of nose can be related to those basic facial feature (open vs closed).
There is lot of information about chow pupps and how to raise them properly in the forum, please check it out.
Best regards
Pinoy51
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

thank you very much for the quick reply, i updated the photo links... hope you can see it now...
my white one kinda look like there's a blood of a japanese spitz in it... im not quite certain though... these 2 pups are my first chows..
i'll be reading on how to raise the chow pups in the training section... thanks...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Your pictures need to be sized down... They're too big.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Your pictures need to be sized down... They're too big.
Sorry for the big photo, their now sized down :)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

And btw, i tried to get them to walk outside but it seems like they don't want to go out the door...
tried giving treats but they just ate it and went back in..sometimes they just stare at the treats...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

They both look like normal chow puppies to me. One is just a more open faced variety than the other.

If you're trying to get them to go outside with you, I'd carry them out. When Jasper and Dixie were puppies, I had to carry them outside or they'd refuse.
Jess
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Thank you for the insight :) it just bothers me because when I bought these lovely pups, they werent able to show me the parents even in photo... Then I saw a big Japanese spitz which I think is mixed with chow hiding at the back... They said that that was not their mother.... Can a half breed have a perfect black blue tongue and the posture and tail of a chow...?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

They can look almost exactly like a purebred chow, depending on the mix ratio. But does it make you love your puppies any less? Kinda too late now....
Jess
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

You should never buy a puppy without seeing Mum at least ...but like Jess says, bit late now.
Anyway, they look like chow chows to me and I'm sure that they will be gorgeous even if one of them is a spitz mix.
Some chows have longer noses than others, there is quite a bit of variety in the breed. I wouldn't worry and just love them.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

These guys look like perfect Chows to me, and the fact that they already have their own opinion about what they like to do and what not, makes it even more likely.
Get ready to raise two Chowdren with all their lovely stubborness.
Best regards
Pinoy51
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Thanks for the replies... I love my dogs.... The black one is also a mix...he is a dorkie.... :) York+dachs
Im just curious wether he is half breed or not not that i dont like him...
It just came across me that chows ,most of them , look like bears... But my white one look like a wolf polar bear without the bear hahaha
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

They are pure chows. if you look at my signature picture, the one with the black chow and the cinnamon one, you will see that my girl, (the black one) has a longer nose. She is 100% chow. She is a very athletic chow, has less bone mass than the ones you see normally in the show ring, but I was told once by a show judge that she was lovely and he would have given her points.

The cinnamon is my boy and he has a shorter muzzle but is still very open faced, he is an example of the older type chow, with his bi-coloring, curled tail etc.

Chows are one of the oldest breeds of the northern type of dogs, these include; chows, malumutes, sammoyeds, huskies, norweigian elk hounds, spitz, alaskian eskimo dogs, keeshonds, akitas, eurasians, and a bunch more. They fall under a class called Northern Breed Group.

Now rumor has it, that when folks started breeding cream chows, some wanted a lighter cream than they could get from breeding light cinnamons to be lighter and lighter, and mixed in a sammoyed or two, sammoyeds have strong genes, (as do chows) and everyonce in a while you'll see a very light cream chow that looks a bit sammoyed, but it is still a pure bred chow at this time. You can normally see this better in the puppies, as they grow, they start looking more and more like chows and less like sammoyeds. Like someone else said, temperment is a big telling point with chows, and refusing to go out, or taking treats is very normal for a chow, even a little chow puppy.

Tippy's mom is very right about carrying them out at first, you will need to be with them when they are young, it's a big strange world for them and they need you to introduce them to it one small step at a time.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

The puppy next to the black dog in the picture is a Rough (long) coat & the puppy with the hand on it's back is a Smooth (short) Coat as they get older you will see a difference.Be prepaired for a lot of extra grooming with the Rough coated puppy he will get a lot hotter than the smooth in the hot weather.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I disagree. They are both rough...just one has a longer coat. With a smooth I believe you wouldn't see that much fur even as a puppy.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=smo ... edIndex=10
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=smo ... edIndex=15
Smooth puppies. Smooths to me look like someone gave a rough a military haircut lol.
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Thank you very much everyone.... :)
I think my white one is mostly similar to victory's black chow..
While i walk both of them, the fat one always lies down while the other is curious to explore the world...he never sits hahaha....

Another question,
What should i look for in the food i feed them?
Should it be high protein diet?
Please give me a rough benchmark on the percentage daily value of each so i can choose a beeter food for them...

Can i also take them to bath once a week?

Thank you everyone...
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

it has been almost seven years since I fed a puppy, (he's all grown up now) but I remember a few things; they will need to eat 3-4 times a day until they are about 4 months old, then 2-3 times a day until about 6-8 months then 1-2 times for the rest of their lives. They should be on a high quality puppy food for a year, some recommend large breed formulas, but most chows aren't really large breed they are medium, so I mixed a large breed formula with a normal puppy formula, he seemed to do just fine on it, he's healthy and active and he was as a puppy.

A high quality food should have no Corn, Wheat, Glutten, artifical colors, artificial preservatives, Salt and fillers in it. The first three ingredients should be meat, meat and rice or barley with the fourth ingredient being which barley or rice. So, like this: beef, lamb, brown rice, barley...

The amount should be kind of determined by the recommended amount on the bag or packaging. But only use that as a guide, if they scarf it up in five seconds, give a little more, if they leave it after 10-15 minutes of eating give a little less. Chows are very good even as puppies of regulating their diets, so don't be too worried about over eating, they most likely won't. Also NO MILK, they are weaned and it will make them sick now. If you want to add a bit of dairy to their diets, a teaspoon of plain yogurt, or cottage cheese given with the meals is good, as is the same amount of well scrambled eggs.
Bathing once a week is too much for a puppy, once a month is enough, more than enough. Brushing, brushing, brushing is far better and will keep them clean and get them used to it.
Thank you SweetPea!
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Thank you Victory... I'll try to find one here in our local market... Some products ive seen on this forum is hard to find here in the philippines so i'll be looking for an alternative with the same nutritional contents...

Do you recommend any supplements to make them grow big bulky and fluffy? I like them to have long fluffy and nice coat...

Edit: and what should the poop look like... The consistency of their poop now is soft... It's not something that you can just grab and throw easily... Should i be worried? How can i make it harder?
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

A high quality dog food you should not need any supplements
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

You might have to go to a pet store to find a good food. I know they have good brands in the Phillipines as we have a lot of members from there. Pet food brands tend to be popular brands not always the best brands.

supplements should only be needed for sick, malnourshised dogs who need the extras to help bring their fitness back up. Young puppies on a good diet don't need them, in fact un-needed suppliments can cause tummy upsets.

A healthy dog automatically has a healthy coat, bright eyes and a bushy tail. A good brushing 1 a week or so will stimulate blood circulation in the skin, and distribute the natural oils over the coat and will make their coats all they can be. The length and thickness of the coat is determined more by genes than diet, (providing the diet is good) so you have to go with what you get. You didn't really see the parents so you won't have a good idea of what your puppies coats may look like when they are adults. As someone else said, rough coated chows have varying coat lengths, some are very long, very thick, coarse and stand off, some are shorter, especially on the body, more silky but thick, some are shorter all over, with a mane and a very plush undercoat. I've had all three kinds, each has its own beauty and problems. Also you'll see a lot of chows on this site with very long, full coats, most of them are neutered/spayed, this often causes a longer fuller coat.

You also don't want them to "bulk up" any more than nature intended them too. The lighter one may well end up being lighter boned and more athletic looking than the other one. Trying to make him look the same may well cause over weight and then joint issues. If you want more muscle tone, then exercise is the proper way to do it. Also remember these are male chows, who can grow for up to 3 years, they spend about 18 months growing tall and long, then another 18 months gaining bone mass and muscle. Don't try to rush it or you could end up damaging joints. And yes there is going to be a coalty like phase where they will be all legs and even a bit clumsy, enjoy it, it doesn't last long.

Puppy poop is often softer than adult poop, (what a weird conversation :) ) If they are being fed the right food it will firm up as they grow. If it is still soft and a bit runny at six months or more, than it's time to look for a food with slightly less protein and/or lower fat content. Or a different protein source, my Dreamdancer can't have any poultry, unless I feel like cleaning up "accidents". And I moved from Solid Gold food to Innova, with a stop at Merricks inbetween because the solid gold had too high a protein amount stool wouldn't firm up.
Thank you SweetPea!
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Thank you again for the very informative reply...
I will keep that in mind... though i already bought vitamins and dog food yesterday...
My dog food is a brand called vitality.. beef and lamb...
I also visited my doctor and he prescribed something for firming the poops... gave it yesterday and saw an improvement immediately.. today,their poop is allot firmer...
I just want to share that they learn pretty fast... this is our 4th day together and they already know how to sit behave andlook at me at the eye before i give their food... i also thought them to standup and reach the food im giving... they also enjoyed walking outside today... didnt gave me much problems... they are also still learning to poop outside regularly..

Once again,thank you everyone...
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

In my opinion chows are the smartest when it comes to training (when they want to). It took Matilda just about two weeks to be potty trained, and she never pooed in the house. Sounds like you have it under control. Consistency, patience and love.
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Thank you :) Will definitely keep that in mind...
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Feel free to check out our Leo and Max: https://www.facebook.com/Leo.and.Max

They are brothers from the same litter but TOTALLY different in body design. Both have the open nose but Leo is more streamlined where Max is more of a line-backer.

You could also check our their videos at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvWMndgL ... 271348EF2E

This starts from the most recent date, but you could go back to November 2012 and go forward from there. Might give you a bit of perspective as they go from fluff-balls to teenagers.

You chowdren ARE GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to watch them grow up!! So sweet!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

On a side note ... to help dispel your worries of being true chow chows ... only a chow chow has a butt like that!! Fluffy "skirt" (as I call it) with tail laid prominently on it's back. I didn't see it, but there will be a curl, too. Our Leo (the blue), his curl is much tighter than Max's (our cinnamon). But there is no mistaking that mass of fluffiness on the behind. They are chows through and through. ((Made much more loverly when butt is extended fully in the air while front paws are splayed firmly on the ground. The typical "play with me" stance. >>sigh<< How I love it!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
stephenjason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephenjason »

Update.. :)
They grew fabulously..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.08 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (136.21 KiB) Viewed 10865 times