Spay yes or no?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lovechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Spay yes or no?

Post by Lovechow »

I am currently live in Los Angeles. Still debating if I should get my chow "cupcake" spayed. She's almost six months old and have excellent temperance besides being stubborn sometimes :)

If I decide I actually have her spayed. Does anyone have any recommendation on a vet around LA. It seems like no one really have an experience on chow around my area. I am really afraid if anything will go wrong during or after the surgery. I am currently enrolled in brentfield hospital but not so sure if the vet is experienced enough

Thanks in advance
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Spay yes or no?

Post by Blackbear »

Yes you should spay. There is some debate though on when this done. The general feeling is wait until they are through there major growth phase as desexing affect hormone production. Choose a vet that has experience with chows.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Definitely get her spayed. There are lots of health benefits. Also - being in heat twice a year is no fun for your dog or for you. I know this - Fozzchops isnt spayed yet (I've delayed it because she had several surgeries in her first year and I wanted to give her a break). She has just been in season and there has been blood blobs on the floor, we have been chased by randy wolfhounds and she has been stuck on her lead for walks etc etc. I'll be glad when she gets done in January and I think that she will be too - can't be nice to be on your period for six weeks!
Lovechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lovechow »

I heard alot of bad things about giving her anesthesia. What if she has operated by an unexperienced vet, I am really scare to not seeing her anymore :( I just couldnt find a vet with experience of chow chow
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If you research, look for a vet that uses isoflorine and also look up pyometra-something that could happen if you don't spay your baby.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I would definately say spay. Audrey mentioned pyometra. When my first chow Milly was about 18 months old she became poorly and I was immediately alerted and we took her to the vet and I told him I thought she had a pyometra. I recognised the signs because we had a little pug years ago. The vet examined her and said she did indeed have a pyometra and he wanted her in immediately to operate as it was the closed type which could be fatal. He said that he had only had one case of a bitch so young in all his years in practice. Then about three weeks later Mabel had the same symptoms and she had to have the same operation.
When Matilda and Maisie had had their first heats we waited for three months and then they were spayed.
Spaying also reduces the risk of breast cancer. So I would most certainly say spay.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

If you aren't planning on showing her, get her spayed. You will reduce her chances of breast cancer by 98%, (honest it is that high a reduction) she won't get uterian infections, uterian cancer and other reproductive problems. You won't have intack males hanging around your house, (which can become dangerous). All in all spaying is a good thing.

Like AuddyMay said, ask the vet what kind of anthesic they use, don't be afraid to ask a vet any questions you have, chows do very well with isoflurine gas. Tell them to only use a mild, a very mild, pain reducer after surgery, she shouldn't be allowed to be groggy after surgery, this is what you want to avoid with a chow, the depressed respitory and heart rate that can come with oral, IM or interveinious, (shots) medications. For many chows these are too strong and cause problems. Other than that her healing time for this surgery should be about 2-3 weeks, it will take longer for the fur to grow back over her surgery area.

If you want the name of vets that are experienced with chows, contact breeders in your area, (I know there are some in Los Angeles) or look for chow clubs and contact them for information.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have to agree. Unless she is going to be a show dog or plan to have her as a breed dog, the benefits far outway any downside.
Lovechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lovechow »

Thank you everyone for all the generous reply. I am definitely more confident on the procedure now and knew what kind of question I should ask the vet :)
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

There are so many Chows out there that are already looking for homes. I would definetly say get her spayed. It also helps prevent them from getting some cancer later on. Plus like it was already mention they can also get pyometra which can come on quickly when they go in heat. We had 2 of our rescues that came to us in heat at the same time and they both got pyometra. One almost died twice. We almost lost her twice and the had to do an emergency spay on her and I had to give her daily antibiotic shots daily for 2 weeks.
As for finding a good Vet I would ask people that you know on who they use and get recomendations from them. We have a Vet here that really knows Chows and some of his patients still come to him after they move.
Thank you sweetpea!!