How long before I see improvement in lola

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

How long before I see improvement in lola

Post by Tan160581 »

I took Lola to vets Friday and she had a injection but today I still see no slight improvement she still drinking and weeing loads for any if you that have had chowd with this how long before you saw a improvement as I do get worried x
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How long before I see improvement in lola

Post by Sarahloo »

What did the vet diagnose? And what did he give her?
If Lola has had these problems for a while, then it will take a while for them to go away!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

What did the vet say the problem was? And what was the injection? It's been years since I worked in medicine but I haven't heard that UTIs, (Urinary Tract Infections) are being diagnosed any differently than they have been in the past. And that normally takes 2 days while they culture the sample and see what type of bacteria is growing there.

Did they or you get a urine sample? If no one did then no culture is being done and that means that that they probably gave her a broad spectrum anti-biotic which may miss the bacteria she has or may not be strong enough to kill it. I would suggest a follow up call to the vet if you don't know what they did or what they gave her. In the meantime, maybe get some cranberry powder and put it in her water, this can help with UTIs. It will take a while to see any improvement, providing that the treatment she recieved is attiquite. If the treatment she got is not correct you won't see any improvement, in fact the situation will get worse. I'd call the vet, and find out exactly what is going on and when you expect to see improvement. If they can't or won't give good answers that you can understand clearly, LOOK FOR A NEW VET. I am completely serious here, an UTI that is not treated correctly and allowed to on too long can cause serious kidney damage even kidney failure, which if she survives will make her prone to kidney failure again in the future.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Yes, what was the infection? When Chia (our first chow) would get periodic yeast infections in her ear (yes, in her ear), she'd typically get oral antibiotics. When Tempest gets a UTI, which she typically does about once every 18 months (give or take), she starts on an oral antibiotic (ugly pill, but stick it in a piece of cheese and she'll gobble it right down) and her symptoms begin to clear up within a matter of hours and she starts feeling better almost immediately...
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

well she keeps drinking loads and weeing, last hour she has done 7 wees in side and 2 outside, i took her on friday and i took a fresh urine sample and he saw traces of bloood in her urine so said give antibiotic injection as may be a urine infectiion, just that she seems to be getting worse but its very wet and rainy here in the uk and she likes to sit on the wet grass, would this give her a chill at all and make her worse, i do dry her with a towel to get the excess water off her, but the amount of times she going to the loo it may not do any good
any advice much appreciated x
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I would take her to another vet. Blood in the urine is a very bad sign. One injection doen't normally cure a UTI, normally it takes oral medication to do it, and then it should clear up pretty quickly. Going 9 times in an hour is a lot, even for a little puppy, I could see 2-4 times for a pup her age but 9 times is too many. Do Not be intimadated by your vet, call and talk to him/her and don't be put off. Do some research on line, google UTIs in puppies, read up and have some questions to ask your vet, and like I said if you don't get good understandable answers find another vet pronto. You are in the UK maybe Judy or one of the other UK chow folks can help you find a really good vet. Vets are just people and some don't like certain breeds of animals and won't give them good treatment. It took me 2 years to find a good vet for my chows, now I'll only take them there.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Where in the UK are you Tania?
I agree with what Victory says - I don't like the time it is taking. These things do take time but I would have thought a slight improvement by now. My vet says 48 hrs. after the injection and the tablets usually prescribed before any improvement is noticed so it should be happening now.
How is her appetite?
I suggest you get back to the vet and tell you concern strongly - if he is not responding - go to another vet.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

She's eating ok but sometimes I have to hsnd feed her to eat it all when she's had enough she spits it out - she still playful and today started to be a bit more aggressive to my cats I say aggressive but could be playing she wriggles her bum and pounces on them but gets them around the neck I have to shout no no she's very feisty so she ok in herself but just peeing loads and drinking about 3 litres a day- vet said to monitor water intake now I say 3 litres but a lot goes on floor as well so say 2.5 litres is that a lot ? X
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Ps I can't actually see blood in urine myself when she goes on paper it's not visible to eye but he stuck a thing in her wee and said small traces of blood and protein if that tells u anything x
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Here is a link to a Veterinarian Specialty Center in U.K. maybe they can refer you to someone if they are not near to you. I suggest you start a new Post. I saw a response from Rio to a person new to this Forum, she may know of a Veterinarian for you to go to.

http://www.Willows.u.k.net

I have had my share of bad experiences with Veterinarians and learned not to be afraid to go try someone new.
I have been reading your Post and you are learning Chows are not favored by everyone. People who do not try to understand things tend to dislike what they cannot make sense of. Chowfueshus. :mrgreen:
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Last year my late Kamie had urinary infection from having to hold it too long. It was my fault for not giving her enough time out side at last outing before sleep time. She was often distracted easily, when I woke up to problem I changed her to going on leash with Leo and I instead of in dog run with Zoey.
Veterinarian took urine sample and day or two later told me they saw "rods" in her urine under the microscope. Rods are what bacteria look like that cause urinary infection. As Victory indicated the test takes time. As ChowChowdaddy said pills by mouth were given, as they were with my Chow Chow. Injection no results. Something put in Lolas private and Vet sees blood. Maybe new special test device we have not heard of. Are Puppies stomachs too sensitive to oral antibiotics, so injection instead? Victory and Judy Fox say ask questions and be firm. I think at this point, I second what Victory and Judy Fox said a second opinion is urgently needed.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

As regards the water intake, like the food post I answered on, there is a ratio to this too!!!! Per one pound in weight of dog they require 1 fluid ounce of water. This is the minimum, weather can be a factor, but as long as the ratio is not ridiculously above ie, 10 times that, then water intake would be managed by your dog. Dry food diet can increase that ratio to around 2-3 fluid ounces per pound.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

I took in urine and vet put dipstick in urine and had to wait 2 mins not 2 days and said traces of blood and urine found
I will ask for tablets waiting for vet to ring back
She drinks bout 2.5 3 pints of water but as I said may be less as she a messy drinker and she weighs 5.35 x
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Link for information about urinary conditions. I feel it is helpful to have some knowledge of the condition so when the Veterinarian talks with you. I do not know if you can connect to these from the U.K..

Link to page on the subject: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/uri ... GzORUaJeRk

Link to the home page of the web site: http://www.petmd.com/
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Thank you :)

Im writing a diary for the vet how often she wees and times etc and hope we can get to the bottom of it x
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I don't have any answer for the urinary issues, but I can say that keeping good records is an excellent way to track how she is doing. You might want to add additional information if it seems like it might be helpful.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

I'm writing times of wees and y was it after play sleep or just wants a wee and monitoring drinking habits Monday she went to wee 33 times and 2.5 pints Tuesday was 28 wees and 2 pints Wednesday was 23 wees and 1.5 pints and today was 25 wees and 1.5 pints too

She seems to wee more of a night every 10 mins when she more active I mean she wees all the time but more so in the evening x
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Lola had to be shaved and have blood taken today she used to wee 33 times a day and now gone down to 23 times and she was drinking 3 pints a day but now 1.5/2pints a day find results out tomorrow
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Tan160581 wrote: She seems to wee more of a night every 10 mins
Does she keep you up all night? Poor you! :(
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Actually during the night it's just 2/3 wees as she sleeps most of the night I'm just busy between 7am and 1030pm til I crash and I need sleep too x just want to get answers now x
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I hope you get some results tomorrow and that they have something positive for you. Sounds like she is improving a little though, poor little love. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

well lolas blood all clear and last urine test normal as well but she still weeing about 23 times a day, its better as before vets was 33 times plus and she was drinking 3 litres and now done to 1.5 litres but vet said she should only be drinking half a pint if that, he wants to run more tests but i think another dose of antiboitics as the antiboitics before were a injection so want to see if tablets better

my partner thinks it course our house is to hot and its a tiny house she has no room to really run and play and bored we are moving into a bigger houe but not til nov dec time we were hoping to be in our house before we got her but then that didnt happen x

what would you do now x