What Do You Make Of This ...?!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

What Do You Make Of This ...?!

Post by Fozzbear »

Humphrey went to the vet to be neutered today.
I was out with Fozz a couple of hours later when the vet phoned to ask me to come and pick Humphrey up because they hadn't been able to operate on him. They said that he had had his initial sedation but had fought it and that they hadn't been able to restrain him enough to sedate him properly. He had got so upset that he had wee'd and poo'd himself, been sick and got into difficulties breathing!!!!
Obviously I picked him up and got him home asap - he has shaved bits on both front legs and I can see a couple of needle marks. He has been woozy from the pre-med but really upset (he has been sitting on my knee, which he never usally does, and crying unless I've been close to him).
What do you make of this??? I'm wondering how a routine procedure could go so badly and what on earth they were doing to distress him so much. Apparently, there were two vets and two nurses - surely between them they should be able to manage a puppy, even a big strong one like Humph.
The vet said to come back in a week or so and stay with him until they have got him off to sleep but I'm thinking new vet - what do you think?
By the way, despite struggling and apparently wrestling off four grown and apparently animal-trained humans, Humph did not attempt to bite or become aggressive.

I'm very upset that he has had such a traumatic time - and for absolutely nothing. Danglies still there! :shock:
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What Do You Make Of This ...?!

Post by Hugo »

new vet
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chows have difficulty with anethesia. Sometimes it doesnt take at all, like in Fozz's case, and sometimes they dont come out of it at all. The vet should be well experienced with handling Chows. I dont know the medical reasons behind it, but the issues are pretty well documented.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'd first ask, what meds they were using. A chow should never have anything but Isoflurine gas, this is something they inhale, takes a very short time for it to put them under and a very short time for them to wake up. IV anthesics should never be used on a chow, as it can cause distress and breathing problems which can make them fight it, (having had severe respitorary arrest at one time in my life I can attest to the facr that it makes you fight).

When Darkwind was being tested for his cancers, he had multiple xrays, ultrasounds, and biopsies done all on the same day, every time he had to be put under, they used isoflurine and he was able to have the procedures done and then walk to the next one with no signs of distress or woozieness.

If your current vet doesn't want to get with that program, then I'd find a new vet, even if it takes a while, being neutered is NOT worth his life, and chows have died when exposed to the wrong anthesia.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

New vet. And dont leave and come back later. Be there. I for one prefer to see personally. Ask what anesthetic they are going to use before you put your chow under the knife. We had a member whose chow simply died after the operation.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Another vote for a new vet.
Thank you Sweatpea
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

I work as a vet assistant in a clinic. We haven't had any chows come in since I've worked there, except for mine. She's never been put under, but from my experience with putting dogs under, the bigger dogs weighing over 30 lbs will be giving a shot of torb before being put under. It's just like a tranquilizer that helps the Iso kick in better. We've never failed to put a dog under, from small to big. You really should change your vet. A lot of vets mistreat the animals and mistaken fear for aggression (sometimes my own clinic as well). I don't have the luxury of a vet that is breed specific, or chow speicific, but see if you can find one. As for the needle marks, they shouldn't have poked him unless it was completely necessary. I know some clinic do it prior to the surgery but mine doesn't unless it's necessary. No need to prick a poor dog or cat just for the heck of it. I'm sorry about your experience. Hope you find a better vet somewhere else. And I hope they didn't charge you for it!
-Nat and Violet
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

A new vet it is! Thank you for that - I'll be staying with my dogs during anything at all in the future and know what questions to ask.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I have nothing more to add except when you find a new vet visit with Humphrey a few times just to get him used to it and to see it is not a scary place. I wish more vets would let you stay and hold them till they are properly under I hate the way so many vets and nurses feel they have to dominate a scared dog and make it do what its told without even trying to understand its fears or help in any way :cry:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have to agree with Sirchow. Now my vets have learned that chows are not a problem, and my two are well behaved sweet hearts. As nnguyentang said, "a lot of vets mistreat the animals and mistaken fear for aggression". I think this is true. Chows can act fearful in stressful situations, and that is often mistaken for aggression. Victory's comments can be confirmed by a simple internet search.
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

I had our little girl spayed 3 weeks ago. she is my first chow. I've had many dogs spayed/neutered with my vet over the years. I was supprised when he asked me to stay and hold her until she was asleep. Now after reading the posts I understand why. I'm glad he asked me to stay.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I wish my vet was like yours PR Bear.
Humphrey has developed a bad cold/infection or something - he is feeling sorry for himself and has a green runny nose. He was fine before this incident and I can't help wonder if they put something in his nose when he had problems breathing. He has a shaved bit on his neck too - obviously they thought they may have needed to do a tracheotomy. I'm so livid with the vet now.
I'm taking Humphrey to meet his new vet tomorrow and to see what this nose problem is.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Being a clinic, it is visited by all sorts of dogs so just like in human hospitals, if one is not careful, he'll risk of bringing home a new infection.
Perhaps your chow got something from the clinic
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Humphers has an upper respiratory tract infection. He has antibiotics. He seemed to like his new vet so that's good :)