Do you have a doggy door?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Do you have a doggy door?

Post by onthemove »

We have added to our house, and as we finish up construction, we are thinking about a doggie door. I feel like deuce would definitely use it, as he likes to go in and out a lot. He is bull enough to push through one.

I never considered one before, because we live in an area of lots of critters. But I recently discovered there are locking doors that operate off a signal on the dogs collar.

Do you have one? If so, does your chow like it?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Do you have a doggy door?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

We don't have one only because we use to take Tippsy to my cousin's house where they have one for their lab mix and she wouldn't use it. But I think Jasper and Dixie would use one 'cause not much bothers them. When I move into my own home, I'll probably have one installed for them but I'm not sure.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm just happy as a pig in sh1t to be finally getting my fenced backyard! I think the door would work alot like dog beds for our Chows, some would like it others, not so much.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

We have a dog door to allow the animals to get on and off the screened back porch. It is in the shade, and out of the rain. Here, it is does not get that cold, so we have not provided any additional shelter on the porch. The little dogs (rat terrier and yorkie) took to it rather quickly. The chows took a bit longer. Some of this was their training, which consisted of not challenging barrier which I might put up. I can put a pillow or a piece of cardboard in a doorway, and it will stop them. I had to lead them through the door many times before they accepted that it was ok. I have the biggest door available with a magnetic strip that keeps the plastic flap in place. It took the cats a while to figure out the large flap, but they use it too. Since the door does not go into the house, the electronic door latch did not seem necessary. I agree with Auddymay on the beds, but I think with some training, they will accept the door.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

our doggy sitter has a doggy door with the plastic in the center and Nikki loves it .. Nikki also is a dog that likes to go in and out (if its too hot she just likes to poke her head out and see if she wants to go out). She had no issues with going threw the door at all. But at her heaviest weight 60lbs I'd laugh to watch her wiggle threw..
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Our first chow was like Ursa's daddy. I could put up any minimal barrier and he would stay where I intended. Deuce is like a bull. He charges through everything, and will do his best to tear down any barrier if he can't push through it. So I feel certain he would use it.

In researching, I found they even have some doors that will automatically open when the dog approaches. I don't think I need that though. My pooch will do what ever it takes to join us on the patio or go chase the critters.

Ha,ha. Deuce is like Nikki. He goes to the door and sticks his head out. If it is hot he just says "nevermind, I'll just hold it." We have to force him out in the summer time. I believe he would hold it for a day or 2 if we didn't make him go.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

We weren't sure if Nikki would use the doggy dog cause she too uses minimal barriers just a piece of lattice work leaning up against the kitchen wall to keep her in the kitchen .. She never knocks it down or touches it. It can even fall and she just stays away from it , so going through the doggy door was something we laughed about when we saw her do it. Of course the sitter has 3 border collies (who taught her) that Nikki just follows around thinking she is one of them .. She even goes to their agility classes . .(and watches)..LOL
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hello
Well we have a doggy door which our spoodle uses, and so did Hugo our Chow until he couldn't fit through! We've had to reconstruct our laundry so Hugo can get in when he wants.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

We have always had one and Leela has had absolutely no issues. It's a godsend! Even our peke/pom will use it. We put one in the wall upstairs so we could make it tighter for the winter and it works great.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Chowpups
She even goes to their agility classes . .(and watches)..LOL
That is great. I took my two to watch the agility trials. They watched for a while, then got booored and decided to tussle with each other, and I had to walk them around to work off some energy. After that, they sat quietly next to me. I was proud of them because they showed the agility crowd that chows can be very calm and dignified.

My wife said to tell you we have a ginormous door because we have an 80 pound dog.
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

I love Nikki without really knowing her.

Ok, so I am pretty sure I want to do this. Any recommendations? Has anyone used the door that is controlled by the dogs collar?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Well I know you would all get a kick out of Nikki if you ever saw her TRY to go threw the agility poles she is NO AGILITY dog for sure. Her butt knocks them down and she just looks like "Who knocked that pole over ?" and keeps on prancing threw.. so a doggy door was nothing for her.. LOL
I have not seen the collar ones but if it keeps the critters out thats a plus..
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Yes I have a dog door that fits into the frame of a sliding glass door. It works great and my chow, Sweetie, uses it all the time.
I have one like this. http://www.petdoors.com/thermo-panel-iiie.html The only downside is that I can no longer use the sliding door for me. It is now a dedicated dog door. This is not a huge deal though since I have other doors that lead to my backyard, but I could see that as a problem for others.