Do Your Chows Sulk and Mope?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

beccachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Do Your Chows Sulk and Mope?

Post by beccachow »

Every chow I ever had sulked when something didn't goes his way. They would walk off a little way, then sit where they knew you could see them with their backs turned to us. :lol: Cricket hadn't shown this until I got a little tougher with him, now he is doing it too. My mom always said "they got their feelings hurt." I was wondering if any one else has pouty chows, and how they pout!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Do Your Chows Sulk and Mope?

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - all our girls have had a sulk now and again. They sulk if things are not going their way and if they have been told off which does not happen very often but does occasionally. :lol:
Our old girl Mabel can sulk and my, don't we know about it but again, that does not happen much.
The two youngsters Matilda and Maisie play rough and sometimes, when it gets too rough they will be told and they will go off and fling themselves down somewhere and stare at us. They soon get over it though. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

hi,
Yes my Hugo bear sulks. Not often but when he does everyone knows about it. He makes short whiny noises, and looks at us in a sullen way, he is such a darling.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Nahkohe sulks when it rains...he sits close to the sliding glass door and has such a sad look. (He hates water.)
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - my girls sulk when it is raining. They fling themself down and glare at me as if I personally switched the rain on.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep. Every chow I've had has sulked, moped and pouted. Tell them 'no' and they will let you know about it. The worst time was when I was going to an scifi convention for a weekend and I left MingToy and Lichi to be cared for by the other people we all lived with. Lichi said good bye and then went off to pout a little, MingToy wouldn't even say goodbye, he huffed, turned his back to me, flopped down and then moaned like his world was ending. I couldn't help it I cracked up, but I did feel sort of sorry for him. :wink: And when I got home I had to apologize and spoil him a bit to get him to forgive me.

They know how to work us... :)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

If you ever have to use an E-collar for any reason you will see instantly a sulk, mope and a get this thing off me quick look.. Poor Nikki has been wearing one for a week now with a terrible hotspot and when I come down in the morning its that sad sad look of please mommy take this off. And I do and she instantly perks up..
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

I understand why Nikki would sulk and give you a sad look, I imagine it can't feel good to have to wear a collar with a hotspot. You might want to reconsider this.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oceans
I'd love to reconsider, any suggestions? I've tried shorts and bandages and she's pulled them both off at night to only gnaw at herside and make it bigger (orange size now). Shes on meds but it will take some time to kick in. Shes pretty good during the day just night time when I can't stop her she gets herself raw.. The Vet told me to use the elizabethan collar that its only way she will leave it alone to let it dry up. Believe me I don't like the collar either it kills me to put it on her.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

For me, the question should be "when do my chows NOT sulk and mope"! Have you ever heard the sound "haroumph!" voiced by your chow? Mine are stinkers and they sulk and mope and curse their fate in chownese to the public at large so they get symphathy. I refuse to apologize =; !
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Yes! Cocoa is not even 9 months old yet and if she thinks I should be giving her my undivided attention and I am not she will lie down with her head in her paws and give the loudest most heartfelt sigh and stare up at me. When I had my black male, Buddy, if he felt insulted (or if I laughed at him) he would turn his back on me, lie down with his back feet kicked out and put his nose up in the air, he was very snobby as well. :lol:
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

[
chowpups wrote:Oceans
I'd love to reconsider, any suggestions? I've tried shorts and bandages and she's pulled them both off at night to only gnaw at herside and make it bigger (orange size now). Shes on meds but it will take some time to kick in. Shes pretty good during the day just night time when I can't stop her she gets herself raw.. The Vet told me to use the elizabethan collar that its only way she will leave it alone to let it dry up. Believe me I don't like the collar either it kills me to put it on her.
Please forgive me for my ignorance. When I read your comment on the E-Collar that you were using I thought it was an electric collar that puts out a small current or shock that you were using for training. My bad. I just looked up what the elizabeth collar is and that is exactly what I was going to suggest, usually we call it the cone of shame. They hate wearing it. Any way it sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do to help her heal. Good Luck!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oceans
I understand your miss on my abreviation of elizabethan collar. I never heard it called the cone of shame. ? Either way I was so hoping you had a good alternative to the cone.. darn.. but she is getting better..the vet was right it needed to dry up.. I even tried the soft pillow elizabethan collars and she could still reach ..shes actually not sulking much anymore shes kind of excepted it. But she does look forward to it coming off in the morning.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

She will get used to the E-collar. Unfortunately it is the only solution for hotspots. Our pup got used to it after a day or so. In fact he got so used he forgot he had on and would tear around the house crashing into walls and furniture. He busted three of them and the vet wanted to know what we were doing to them.