Rennie/ My Wonderful Boy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sjeane01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rennie/ My Wonderful Boy

Post by sjeane01 »

I purchased my beautiful baby boy on March 24,2011. He was born on February 2, 2011 and is now 5 months old. This is not my first chow chow but he is totally differnt from my last one. He bacame imediately attached to me and my husband and wanted no one in the house, not even family members. Another issue he wanted to play with us rough, like he would a litter mate/ Sometimes breaking the skin. We took him for walks around the neighborhood and he loves meeting other dogs. The next door neighbor had a 6 month old lab that comes over and they play well together. He also hated going to the vet to receive his shots and check ups. The last visit they had to restrain him amd they would not allow me in the room. On June 6,2011 we enrolled him in a three week obedience training facilty for in house training. We were not allowed to vist but could watch him on their WebCam. He has returned to us somewhat more socialized but still will let any one near the house. When the yard man came to mow the lawn he ran around to every window barking with a menacing tone even though I tried to reassure him that it was ok. he was just not having it.

We love this little guy so much that we purchased a baby sister Chow Chow while he was in trianing for a companion.She has none of his issues and loves everybody.

We introduced them in the back yard and they have taken to each other really well. There may be a little jealously on both parts for they both vye for my attention. I love on them equally and they are really enjoying each other. He is much bigger than she but will lay down and let her jump on him.

Rennie was born with entropin a eye disease that is common in dogs with a lot of hair. The eye lashes turn inward and he will require surgery.
I plan on neutering him at the same time to avoid putting him under sedation again.

My problem is finding a vet that will get to know my baby. Chows really do not like strangers placing their hands on them. The first clinic that I have used since I got him have several vets and he has actually seen a different vet every time we visited. I was taking him every 3 weeks to get all of his shots but he never got the chance to bond with any one vet.However the lady that grooms him at that particular clinc had bonded with him and he is ok with her bathing and grooming him.

Last Thursday I tried another vet in reagrds to the eye surgery and he did not even examine my dog but agreed that he needed surgery and gave me tranquilizers to give him before I brought him in.

I am really opposed to tramquilizers and am torn in regards as to where I should get the surgery. I am thinking of going back to the first clinic.

After all of this history, I really would like to know if there is anything futher that I can do to make Rennie more acceptabe of friends and familiy that visit/
DoubleL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Rennie/ My Wonderful Boy

Post by DoubleL »

Unfortunately I do not know what to say about the house guarding, but in regards to Veterinary Clinics, I would recomend going to a smaller clinic. Call around to different clinics in your area and ask questions such as how many doctors they have. The smaller the number of doctor's, the better chance you have at seeing the same one at each visit. If you need to stay at a larger multi-doctor clinic you could ask if you could request the same doctor for each visit. Another thing you could do is take Rennie to the Vet's when he isn't getting vaccines. Just walk/drive him over, Let him take his time entering the office and get the staff (or you) to offer him lots of treats. I would call ahead and make sure that pop in visits are ok, but most good clinics welcome their clients.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

sjeane01 wrote:My problem is finding a vet that will get to know my baby. Chows really do not like strangers placing their hands on them....

After all of this history, I really would like to know if there is anything futher that I can do to make Rennie more acceptabe of friends and familiy that visit/
Chows really do not like strangers placing their hands on them

Not true! Or there would never be a chow in a show ring. ALL my chows have been gentelmen and one lady, about being examined. In fact I can take them to the Vet, and leave them for things even boarding and EVERYONE adores them. Sometimes a chow will take a while to warm up to a person, my mom's first chow MingToy was standoffish when we first met, but he was NOT allowed to bark at me or growl or any of those behaviors and as a result, in three days I was feeding him, feeding him treats, taking him for walks and grooming him.

As far as what you can do now, well first he's only five months old, he's still a puppy. It's time to take him in hand; When he barks or growls at people who visit, DO NOT try to reassure him, put him in his place. A firm NO, and if he continues, a time out, 20-30 minutes without being a part of any interaction with anyone, will teach him quick that barking/growling at guests is NOT acceptable. And when I say any interaction I mean with his sister too., When I got my mom's two chows after she passed the older one was pretty good at accepting strangers and guests, the younger one wasn't. He was a five year-old intact male who was very poorly socialized, (sorry mom) He pulled that barking at guests crap three times, the first two times, he got PUT in the basement alone for a while, without his companion the older boy. The third time, all I did was stand up and start to walk towards him, and he stopped and laid down, (yes he grumbled but he did it) And that was the last time he acted out with guests.

When there are people in your yard working, again don't try to reassure him, tell him to "shutup and lay down!" Or have his sister distract him. My current girl Firesong will bark at the rain on the AC unit. I tell my male Dreamdancer, go get your silly sister. He'll go start playing with her and she'll forget about what is bothering her. Another thing you can do is take him to a park or another place with lots of people, just sit there with him and his sister. People will come up to you, (they alwasys do with chows.) let them pet the girl and when she allows it, praise her, give her treats, if he is acting out,m he gets nothing, not even a look from you. Wehen he lets people approach without barking, praise him, when he lets someone pet him, praise, praise, praise and treat!

And don't think this is being mean to him. A dog who is unwilling to accept strangers, is a stressed dog, he's always in guard mode, and that is unhealthy for him. Also in a medical emergency you coulod have a problem with him and a vet. My boy Dreamdancer had an emergency once,m an allergic reaction to something, it wa a sunday so I could only take him to the emergency vet clinic at the University of Minnesota. He was a doll, he rolled over and gave the vet his belly to rub, (which was good because we could both see he had hives) he allowed the blood test, the examination, the injection of benaydrl, everything without a single bark or growl, he was perfect even though he was very uncomfortable. It sounds to me like your Rennie is atrue alpha chow, and needs a very strong leader, you can't baby him, you have to have an "I am in charge ,not you" attitude with him, nuetering will help a little with this, but it's not going to fix it entirely, only you can do that.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Victory is correct. I currently have two chows and have had 5 in total. My newest girl is still shy with strangers but has learned that the barking and growling ends with her being shut up alone and ignored. Now she just makes herself scarce at first.

Although offering reassurance is a natural reaction to an upset chow, it is reinforcing the bad behavior. What you need to do is reinforce only desired behaviors, with attention, praise and treats. Timeouts can be devastating to both you and the chow at first but they work wonders. I am not advocating punishment of any kind, merely the absence of positive reinforcement via the alone time.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Well said Victory.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I would wait on the eye surgery. Unless it is very bad, many Chows including mine grow out of it. Here in Australia it is $1700 an eye and vets seem more than happy to book an appointment. I told the vet that we were going on Holiday and would have to wait until we returned so he gave me some ointment to put in Brisco's eye twice a day until we could get him in. Wouldn't you know it, 5 weeks later his eye started getting better and eventually cleared up totally as he grew and the Skin on his head/face changed pulling and stretching or whatever happens as they grow. He's 7 now and has never had another problem. Dixie, My girl had almost the exact same thing for a couple of months during the growth period and she cleard up as well. $5000.00 saved. Entropion is when the eyelid rolls in toward the eyeball and allows the hair to irratate the eye. As they grow, especially at 5 months this can change very quickly. I'm no vet, but don't jump in too quick.
No matter where you go, there you are.