How to find a qualified vet

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

varya
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to find a qualified vet

Post by varya »

I lost my beloved Chow Chow Takoda on 6/24/11. He was only 8 years old. One of the vet techs refused to give him his oral meds while in the hospital because, as my vet put it, "he was grumpy". She was his 'caretaker' for two critical days last week and I was not called in to assist in any way. (I told them to call me if they had any problems, I was 10 minutes away) He lost his battle on Friday. It was after the fact that I found out the full story.

We are, to say the least absolutely devastated. I have two other Chows, one is 14 years old and the other is 10, and am now in search of a qualified vet with qualied techs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to verify qualifications? I am now, as you may understand, having great difficulty trusting anyone.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How to find a qualified vet

Post by oceans »

This is absolutely rediculous that a vet tech would refuse to give a medicine to a sick dog. Are you kidding me I would be devastated also. I'm sure he was "grumpy" he was sick. I'm grumpy when I'm sick. l actually would call around and speak with a vet himself to see if it would be a good fit for the vet and pup together before I ended up choosing a vet. I actually went to two or three that treated my pup like she was the worst thing on this earth. Believe me a chow can pick up when someone does not like them. Best advice would be either get references from friends, co-workers, and talk to the vet personally because some vets just plain do not like chows, and with that attitude it will prove to be a losing situation. Good luck...
Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rex343 »

I am sorry for your loose. I would have a serious talk with the owner of the vet clinic and the words law suit would come up; you shouldn't have to put up with malpractice. I would ask them what would prevent them from making the same mistakes again and why should I let you care for something that is so presious to me and why you should trust them again and give them your hard earned money.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

You need find other chow owner in your area and see which vets they use and get as many recommendations as you can. When you find one make sure there experience is not just check-ups etc but do they have surgical experience etc. It is just disgaceful what has happened to you.
varya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by varya »

Thank you for your replies. I also wanted to state that I had visited him multiple times every day he was in the hospital. (before work, at lunch, and after work) No one told me there was any trouble at the time. It's so important to make sure the entire staff will treat your dog. I'm totally convinced there was prejudice against him because he was a Chow.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You also might want to check out a vet college if there is one in your area, they usually have good vets, and the people doing the vet tech work are vets in training. They will also sometimes have vets that they will recommend. I also have found that small clinics with 1-4 vets and a steady staff are better than larger clinics.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

If you have the money, sue them!!! You could easily have given him his meds during your daily visits if only they had opened their mouths!
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

I agree. That is totally unacceptable behaviour from a vet.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I just switched vets after 28 years at the same vet practice. I have not been happy there for quite some time. My reason for the switch was more indifference toward my situation. Lily has been battling severe skin issues for 2 years now! They test for the right things, but I never saw the same vet twice in a row, and even if I did, they did not remember us.

The new vet is a Godsend. His first visit, he got down on the floor with Lily. We reviewed all that has been done so far, and what he suspects is going on. I may still not be any closer to a cure, but we now have a vet that is doing follow up like he means to cure her, not suck my wallet dry. Had that visit gone any differently, I would have continued on with my search.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I was not happy with the vet that was recommended to us by several neighbors. Been a dog owner my whole life and can sense a good doctor, vet, nurse.When they get down on floor to examine my dog because they cannot lift her it was time for me to find another. Had to go local Vet University to find my pup had fleas.I asked around and found a vet that I interviewed, went in and introduced myself, got good vibes and made an appt. Right away I could tell how he handled her that I was going to be happy with this guy. Flipped her right over to examine her and takes control.I like vet offices that HE is the only Doctor in the clinic and tends to her everytime. I have better luck with male vets rather than females.They are more devoted to the practice.My opinion.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Let me clarify by saying the vet on the floor was for Lily's comfort. Not that he didn't want her on an examination table.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Auddymay wrote:Let me clarify by saying the vet on the floor was for Lily's comfort. Not that he didn't want her on an examination table.
I was speaking of my own experience where a Female vet could not lift my Maggie to the table.
You cannot give a good exam while dog is on floor.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

If you know any Chow breeders in your area, I'd check with them and see which vets in your area they would recommend for a Chow. If you don't know any Chow breeders, you might find out if there are any regional Chow clubs in your area and contact them for a recommendation.
http://chowclub.org/ccci/content/view/233/91/
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

We found our vet through recommendations from friends. We decided to go the holistic route and it's worked for us so far. He's horrible with humans but great with animals and his staff is top notch. His attitude puts others off but our girls get great care from him so we don't mind that he can't relate to us very well.