General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Salt?

Post by Zeus & Simba »

Hi,
One of my kids developed struvite crystals after a UTI. I ahve to keep salt out of her diet. She loves to chew on rawhide and those beef and lamb bones that are smoked with nothing added that you buy from the pet shop.

My question is what are the best things for chewing that contain the least amount of salt?

Thanks!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Salt?

Post by Merlin »

You have to keep a lot more than salt out of her diet, it means you probably have to change her food also.

Struvite crystals are formed because the bladder becomes too alkaline. This is a general occupational hazard of dogs who eat low quality dog foods which are too high in corn protein or soy protein.

Your dog needs to be on a diet designed for that and I"m surprised that your vet didn't offer you a kidney diet.

For the life of my though, I'll never understand why people buy smoked bones at pet stores.
You can go to a butcher or ask behind the meat counter for a real, fresh bones and give that to your dog at any time.
They are nutrionally sound will help keep her teeth clean and will give her loads of entertainment.
It's much healthier. Smoked bones from the pet store are loaded with carcinogens.

You can also make dried chicken strips or liver strips right in your oven.
Those are great because they have no additives in them.

Did your vet not offer you a specialty food?
Is your dog now on medication and anti-biotics?
Last edited by Merlin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zeus & Simba »

Thanks.

I am fuly aware of the implications of struviate crustals. My kids get he best of everything including medical attention. They are both on Eagle Pack and are only fed the best of everything including chicken breast, smoked salmon etc etc which supplements the Eage Pack kibble. Simba has racked up over 2.5K in vet bills in the last three weeks. I have been running all kinds of tests and making sure that nothing else has been missed.

She has been getting a convenia (anitbiotic) injection to keep the antibiotics in her blood at a consistent level. Much more effective than pills.

She has been on hills perscription diet and has responded very well. I am having her checked and running urine test every two weeks. Her diet has been changed to accomodate the condition.

All I wanted to know is which chews have the lowest salt content .
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Don't give her any chews from the store.
The all have salt, bleach, and formaldhyde in them.

Consider just a natural raw bones instead.-are you open to that?
Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zeus & Simba »

:)-That might be the solution.

do the smoked bones in the pet shop with "nothing added" have a high salt content as well?

The owner said they do not have any salt added. The only salt naturally occurs in the animal. Lamb, Beef.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Smoked bones are processed food.
I'm no expert but processed food always contains additives, and even if they don't have salt they certainly do have carcinogens, so you'd be trading off crystals for tumours and cancer.

Raw Spare ribs ( beef, pork or lamb) make excellent treats for any dog.
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

I know at one time the rawhide's were made in Mexico and God knows what was in them. I would want to see the content in writing before I used them. I also have to say, if I won't eat it, I won't give it to them. Yes, I've eaten some of their food and Milkbones.

Bones from the butcher are "What you see is what you get", all natural.

I switched to the nylon rag type chews to keep their teeth clean. No salt added :lol:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers