General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

szubia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Traveling with a chow

Post by szubia »

Hi,

We have a 5 month old blue chow, Tony, and we're debating whether or not to take him with us out of town for thanksgiving break. We'll be gone for 6 days and we have a friend that can come and check on Tony but I don't know which one's worse, to leave him at home (he lives in our back yard cause he hates being inside) or take him with us for a 16 hour drive one way. What should we do? Any tips/suggestions would be awesome :)

P.S. We are also bringing back from our trip a female chow for Tony :)
Attachments
small_IMG_5566_JPG.jpg
small_IMG_5566_JPG.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Traveling with a chow

Post by Loha'sDad »

Don't know about your boy, but if it was my boy Loha he would most definitely rather go on the trip. Not only does he LOVE car rides, he just plain loves being with me and would be broken hearted if I was gone for 6 days.

Loha's Dad
willfrommaine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfrommaine »

We took our chow puppy on a 12 hr car ride with in a month of getting her. She has become very used to it. We just stopped every few hours to let her walk around.
szubia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by szubia »

You had to use "broken hearted" (Loha's dad) :) Tony likes car rides but he tries to jump out, maybe him being a puppy has something to do with it :) But I think we'll just bring him with us, besides he has to meet his new girlfriend right away and see if he likes her :lol: Thanks for both of your replies
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Generally speaking, chows are good travellers and there are all kinds of bonuses if you take your chow with you, like socialization.
I have to tell you, a 5 month old chow is just a baby, and should never be left unsupervised like what you are suggesting.

If you can't take him with you, then please find a quality kennel and put him in the kennel while you are away.
that way he'll be properly supervised and you'll be acting very responsibly. Yes it costs money, but responsible pet ownership means being able to afford your committement and making positive, intelligent choices for your pet.

I honestly can't believe you are thinking of leaving him home while you are away.
Would you do that with a child? a toddler? Leave the child at home alone and have someone pop in once a day to check? Are you serious?
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I think you should take him with you. I also think you should work on bringing him in. You're letting him dictate where he lives and chows are too independent for that. He's deciding where he lives, when he comes and when he goes. Not good, and especially not good if you bring another one into your life, you could end up with two chows who only see you as a food source. Bring him in, you are the boss, not him.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Too true Victory! Excellent point!
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree with Victory - a 5 month chow is still a baby and should do as you say not vice versa.

We have two 1 yr. old chows and we still consider them as babies - big babies :D - but nevertheless, babies. I take the line with them "I am the Mummy person, you are the babies, therefore, I say, you do" :lol: .

I want my babies to live in the house, so live in the house they do. there is no room for discussion. I give them as much freedom in the garden as I feel is right but when I want them in, in they come.

I would most certainly take him with you. You will probably find he will enjoy the trip and the experience will be good for him. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Onoku
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Onoku »

My chow didn't like it at first, but now he loves the car. If I open the hatch on my escape he will try and jump in (poor guy can't jump that high though and ends up just running into the bumper). I say take him with you, he will be glad to be with his family rather than at home alone.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I agree to take Tony with you! He would be very sad alone and you can spend quality time with him on a long trip like that.
I alone have taken my 2 Chows with me driving across the country and they loved it! We'd stop every few hours at some beautiful rest stops and walk for a while.
Like I said,I drove with them by myself and we all loved it. They were excellent passengers and never complained once about my driving! :D
Hope y'all have a great trip!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

If he tolerates car rides well, there's no harm in taking him with. However, if you're bringing home a new dog member, allow for plenty of time for introductions before sticking them in a car together for 16 hours.

When we moved across country years ago, my then 11 year old Chow did great on the two day drive. He actually snored in the backseat most of the time.

If you worry that he won't enjoy the travel, a pet sitter is a great option. I have to say that pet sitters (reputable ones anyway) do NOT just come over to let them out once a day. The one we use comes three times, at our request. She would make as many trips over as we wish (our dogs are adults, though, and don't require extra trips out), and she also offers the option to stay at our home if we'd prefer. (we decline this option as it isn't needed) We always have her watch our elderly dog and our small poodle. Even the nicest kennel is still way too stressful for our elderly dog. She's quite happy to stay home in her own environment. She gets way more one on one time than at even the nicest boarding facility. We don't vacation often, and if we were going somewhere within driving distance, we'd take our dogs along. But, not always an option.

One might not leave a child at home..but then one wouldn't leave a child home while they work, nor leave them at a daycare facility where they're shut in a small room..so not really a comparable situation.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

my son was in the ICU for a week in the end of september, we had my mother in law come over 4 times a day to take them out, Romeo was just 3 months. She came in the am, noon, 3 pm, and 8 pm. But she would take the food away before leaving. She would stay an average of 30 mins everytime she came. She said that the dogs didnt tear up the house or poo and pee either.