General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Nelly notbeing nice with romeo

Post by valerierichard27 »

Hi,
Well since Romeo is a baby, he wants to play, so he jumps on Nelly and bites her, but when he does that Nelly pins him down or bites him, and Romeo cries loud. I have to remove Nelly because im scared that she will hurt him. I want to know if Nelly is being agressive or just telling him not to do that. How long will it take for them to get along ??
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Nelly notbeing nice with romeo

Post by Victory »

Is she really injuring him, or is he just making a loud noise to show his fear and submission? Does she back off once he cries out? If she doesn't she's pushing and needs to be told to back off, don't separate them, just make her back off, and give the puppy some attention--not like, "oh, you poor thing, she's so mean" just call him to you and get him to settle down. That improves your posistion as Alpha. Remember though to feed her first, let her come in/out of doors directly behind you and before the puppy. You don't say how old the puppy is, but if he is really small you do need to closely monitor their play.

Some chow puppy's do make a loud crying noise when they are kept from doing what they want, Dreamdancer did it with me, with Firesong, with anything and anybody who was making him be good. He's still very vocal but he did learn and stopped screaming just cause he was told to sit.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

well nelly is 2 yrs old and romeo is 8 weeks, romeo has been here for a little less than 48 hours. No nelly did not back off when he cried, she kept putting her paws on him (pining him to the floor) I told nelly NO and took romeo beside me (im on chair hes on the floor) then nelly came to lick me (thagts what she does when she does something wrong) and i told her no to go lay down. I hope thats ok or should i do something else ??
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

Is nellie holding her down with her mouth and paws. If Phoenix is being to ruff Tyton will hold her down with his paws and some part of her with his mouth. She usually calms down and or wiggles away. I use the command nice if either one is out of hand and give Tyton free time away from Phoenix ie in her cate for awhile by herself. or just in her yard to explore it on her own. This seams to be working . Lots of walks to tucker them both out. I used to do this with Nia when Tyton first came home.phoenix seams like she has mega enegy to burn. If Romeo has as mutch as Phoenix she is problly putting him in his place. I always thought Mia was hurting Tyton.They did becomee friends with careful Guidence and firm care and missed her when she passed.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

valerierichard27 wrote:well nelly is 2 yrs old and romeo is 8 weeks, romeo has been here for a little less than 48 hours. No nelly did not back off when he cried, she kept putting her paws on him (pining him to the floor) I told nelly NO and took romeo beside me (im on chair hes on the floor) then nelly came to lick me (thagts what she does when she does something wrong) and i told her no to go lay down. I hope thats ok or should i do something else ??
That's a very good start, but be a little bit more proactive. those puppy teeth can hurt and she probably doesn't like it, if he's pushing the issue, give HIM a time out. You have to protect both of them. At his age one wrong move on her part can injure him, also if he's biting, giving him a time out will help with his bite inhibition. These first 3-4 months are hard because the puppies have SO much energy but they are also so very delicate. Never allow them to be alone together until he is much bigger than he is now. Firesong was four when I got Dreamdancer and I kept them separate when I wasn't there with a baby gate until he was five months old, at that point he was a little over half her size and quite able to be just as rough and tough as she was.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

well i do have a big dog cage, but i dont like useing it..... i feel as if its wrong to put a puppy in a cage, but then again, i also wonder if i should while im away at work... to prevent poos and pees in the house. The cage is very big, about 2 feet by 4 feet
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

well i belveive in porsitive renforcement, i dont punish my dogs in the cage, instead i ignore them. And i did that with nelly, and she turned out great, the cage is a sleeping place thats is always open, i rather use an other methode then the crate.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Nelly not being nice with romeo

Post by Larry Harris »

Please do not use a crate for punishment but rather a place to be safe. Once upon a time we thought crates were evil and not to be used. After many years of being owned by and having several Chows underfoot all the time we know differently now. I will say we rarely close the doors on the crates.

An 8 week old puppy needs to learn from you as mom and from the older Chow. Positive methods of training or more effective then the old ways of do as I say or I will lock you in a crate. Not to say a time out is not a bad idea though. Time out can be no I will not play with you or give you love right now. Do remember they have a short attention span and things have to be done as they occur.

As long as she is holding him down with a paw it is ok, when she holds him with her mouth watch her and make sure she is not hurting him. If he lets out a yelp she should know to release him.

Teach her "leave it" and use this command when she gets to rough. Feel free to give us call and we will try and help if we can.

Larry
TLC Chow Rescue
616 638 4665
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

thanks you sooo much for your reply, i actually hate crates, i only put romeo in at night to help with potty training. durring the day (when i work hes in the kitchen with lots more space. When he bite or nibbles, i say no very firmly and he stops. today was actually car training day LOL I often take my dogs to work so in the car they have to stay seated properly. So Romeo say in the front with me for 30 mins, and i had to stop the car and sit him properly and when he wanted to go in teh back or on me, i said no firmly. At the end he was doing great !!! As for Nelly well she only put him down with her paws (litterlaystood on him) but today they played alot and got along really good, when she didnt want to anymore she just walked away and Romeo didnt follow her, so i think he understands.every day is training day for Romeo, tomorrow it wil be the walking on the leash lol (thats gonna be tough) he hates his leash lol